Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Snow Days Have You Had This Year??
Scout 06:09 PM 01-28-2014
We are on number 6 tomorrow! I swear ds has not had school more than they have snce Christmas break!! He's not complaining though! So bitter cold here.
melilley 06:12 PM 01-28-2014
I was trying to figure that out this morning and honestly, there have been so many that I lost track!
One was the day before Christmas break, This past Friday, Mon. and Tues. and I swear one or 2 more, I think a Mon. and Tues. Ahhhh!
Laurel 07:08 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Scout:
We are on number 6 tomorrow! I swear ds has not had school more than they have snce Christmas break!! He's not complaining though! So bitter cold here.
None as I live in S. Florida BUT my grandkids had a 'flood day'. I've never even heard of that here. They live about 30 min. from me but in a different county. They had so much rain so fast that Interstate 95 was partially closed down and two people died because of the water.

Laurel
Lucy 07:09 PM 01-28-2014
Not to rub it in or anything, but zero. We've been hovering at a balmy 45-50 here in the Pacific NW.
Patches 07:14 PM 01-28-2014
I think we've had 5. Can't remember exactly
Scout 07:18 PM 01-28-2014
According the news channel we are now at 643 closings for tomorrow! I think last week we had over 700. Crazy! But, I have to admit I was not too happy at the bus stop last friday when it was 0 with my ds's. I was just glad all the dck's weren't here yet that day.
Unregistered 08:39 PM 01-28-2014
When do the students have to make them up ? Or are they figured into the school calender. We are in Texas, so far the kids had 2 inclement weather days, so they have to go to school on Presidents Day and one extra day at the end of the school year. I cannot imagine them having 5 or more, and it's only January !!
Scout 04:30 AM 01-29-2014
Technically, they are allowed 5 calamity days before making them up. Sme districts are doing calamity bags and havong parents print work off to complete with the kids. My district has not thus far. The governor is trying to get a one time extension of calamity days without them making the days up. I mean, really they can curb some of the fun activities at the end of the year and come up with 2 more days of learning. I do thonk they are making th right calls on closing. Friday it was 0 and my sons bus stalled but, he got it started again roght away. But, what if it hadnt? Then you have 100 really angry parents and 50 kids sittong on a bus in freezong weather and that is not safe. They are avoiding a huge liabilty and keeping our kids warm and safe, which is.
BumbleBee 04:55 AM 01-29-2014
9 snow days for us since January 6th.

Our district used up our last snow day on Jan 24th. As of now we are 3 snow days over what is allowed before making them up.

The district can add anywhere from 10-60 minutes to the end of the school days for the rest of the year to make up for lost time thus reducing/eliminating the need to make up days at the end of the year.

The decision has not been made yet so we shall see.

ETA: All but 1 of the snow days/ice days/freeze days called so far have been warranted. The one that was ridiculous was the bus garage & city commission butting heads.
morgan24 05:02 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

Our district used up our last snow day on Jan 24th. As of now we are 3 snow days over what is allowed before making them up.

The district can add anywhere from 10-60 minutes to the end of the school days for the rest of the year to make up for lost time thus reducing/eliminating the need to make up days at the end of the year.

We are at that many too. They are still deciding if they are going to add hours or days. Last year we were 2 over and the state forgave them. I'm in MI.
laceylmm 05:23 AM 01-29-2014
I'm on day ten. But the seventh day in a row for snow days!
Happily_wed 05:50 AM 01-29-2014
I think we are on snow day 10 here. I like snow days. Our high school is horrible and the less days my son has to go the better as far as I am concerned. I am anxiously awaiting the end of May and graduation!
momofboys 06:16 AM 01-29-2014
Today is our 8th day . i am in Ohio. we haven't had a full day of school since Jan 16th, last week the school was delayed everyday except for tues when they closed. I agree with most of the closures as my school is rural & many children are bussed but geez do I have a strong case of cabin fever!

My school district is making the kids go pres day & we had a scheduled day off for teacher inservice on 2/14 that they will also have to go for. that will help us. tbe Gov proposed add'l calamity days so if that takes place it would be helpful.
snbauser 06:42 AM 01-29-2014
Today is our first but we live in NC. We do not have make up days worked into the calendar. The kids will have to go to school on President's Day to make up for today. It was supposed to be a teacher workday. We have had several 2 hour delays this year though which our schools hate to do and rarely do. Those have all been because of the cold. I'm anticipating one tomorrow because it's supposed to be 10deg in the morning and anything that might thaw today from our snow/ice will refreeze.
crazydaycarelady 08:02 AM 01-29-2014
0 in Montana but we NEVER have snow days. It is snowing right now and life goes on.
slorey 08:10 AM 01-29-2014
We have not had any, which is surprising, considering I am in NY! Thankfully all the major snow we have gotten has been on non-school days. I do wish they would have given the kids a break on some of those bitter cold days. I am looking forward to a snow day or 2, since I usually close on snow days as well!
momofboys 08:18 AM 01-29-2014
Several of our delays/ cancellations were temperature-related. was -14 yesterday with windchills near -35. brrrrrr
daycarediva 09:17 AM 01-29-2014
4 closings, 1 delay, 1 close early day. 1 due to snow, the rest are cold/wind chill factors.

Today they advised parents to send kids on the bus in full snow gear because the heaters weren't cutting it and the busses weren't getting warm.
Scout 09:36 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

ETA: All but 1 of the snow days/ice days/freeze days called so far have been warranted. The one that was ridiculous was the bus garage & city commission butting heads.
I like the adding on minutes idea! 9!!! Holy cow!
Scout 09:38 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
0 in Montana but we NEVER have snow days. It is snowing right now and life goes on.
They never close for low temps? That is why we are. It's not really the snow, it's the temps in the -20 to -40 with windchill. But, I would imagine you would have that low as well.??
Crazy8 09:40 AM 01-29-2014
thankfully only 3 I think - we had 2 built into the calendar and now 1 we are making up on presidents day. Any more and we will have to make them up at the end of the year - we already don't get out till June 20something. Today we ended up doing a delayed opening so they didn't lose the day. Hoping for no more snow!!!!!!
KidGrind 09:45 AM 01-29-2014
My area had several. I closed down for 2 of them.
trippingontoys 10:43 AM 01-30-2014
10 snow days here so far. The snow days I don't mind. Its the blizzard bags I'd like to tell them what to do with. I work 45-55 hours a week. That's not including any clean up or prep time. Or normal housework, meals, homework, basketball practices and games, and so on that I still have to do. My husband helps with these things, but he is disabled and is not always able to. So can someone please tell me when I am supposed to schedule in two more hours for each of my kids to get one of these blizzard bags finished? My kids are young enough that they need help with them. And that's just for one day missed. Would it kill the teachers to work the days they are contracted for??? We get out either the 2nd or 3rd week of May. Making up our days wont even put us near June! I do my job, I wish they would do theirs. I can teach abc's and 1,2,3s but American History is not my strong suit.

Sorry for the rant, but you listen better than the school board. :-)
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 01-30-2014
My kids have had 3, I have had one.
mema 11:27 AM 01-30-2014
We have had 4 snow days that were because of extreme cold, not snow. All in January. 1 of those, the governor called the whole state. We have had 2, I believe, late starts due to cold/snow. The kids also had of MLK day and the Friday that week for teacher work day. January has been crazy. Hopefully when Febuary rolls around, it's all gone. Well, one can dream anyway.
originalkat 11:37 AM 01-30-2014
Surprisingly we have had ZERO! Last year we had 4.
BumbleBee 05:17 AM 01-31-2014
Make that 10 snow days since January 6th. I miss my routine!
Maria2013 05:18 AM 01-31-2014
I lost count
Tags:snow day
Reply Up