Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Transitioning From Crib/Pack N Play To Cot?

Pretty simple question....

What age do you transition from crib/pack n play to a cot? Or are there certain developmental milestones/characteristics you look for to transition?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:16 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

My "one size fits all" answer is 12-15 months. Honestly it depends on the child. When I think they are ready to lay still on a cot I switch them. Or when they get to the point they can escape the pack and play.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 AM
Childcare Provider

Usually 12mos or short after...in my experience waiting too long makes the transition even harder.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

9-12 months
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
My "one size fits all" answer is 12-15 months. Honestly it depends on the child. When I think they are ready to lay still on a cot I switch them. Or when they get to the point they can escape the pack and play.
Same here.

I've had kids more than ready to be on a mat/cot before 12 months but licensing requires a crib or PNP until the day of their first birthday.

I've also had kids that could/would have stayed in a crib or PNP long after they turned 1 so it really does depend on the child but my goal is 12 months.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

Definitely depends on the child. I have a 2 year old who sleeps fine on a nap mat, and another 2 year old who is still in a PNP. He takes a long time to fall asleep, and I have a feeling he wouldn't stay put once I laid him down. The other kiddo falls asleep SUPER fast and I do not want to mess that up lol.

I think every child is different and I have learned to pick my battles with sleep! Do what works!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Director Licensed Care

I begin working with my infants from the time they are able to sit up.... my desk and desk chair are approximately 4 feet from the crib area.... once an infant is able to raise up and then sit... I teach them that they are not allowed to sit up when they are awake in their crib... the only time an infant is in a crib when they are in my care is if they are asleep.... as they begin to get on the same nap schedule as the older children... one nap per day.... they learn that they stay lying down....even if they are awake...
it can be allot of work.... sometimes I have to move my chair next to their crib.... or I stand next to their crib... if they sit up ... I lay them back down and tell them .. No... you have to lay down....... it may seem crazy but it is the first step to transition them to being on a cot and staying ON THE COT during our naptime... when I do move them to the cot... their cot is directly next to my chair ...so that I can monitor them and ensure they learn to stay on it... I currently have a 17 month old on the cot next to my chair.. she's been with me about 6 months now and is doing very well... I have a 'just turned 12 months' infant in the crib...and he is almost ready to move to his cot..

Tags
cot transition, crib to cot, nap mat transition, transition from pack and play