Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Alter Activities For Varies Ages
PAMommy1228 09:19 AM 09-15-2010
I have about 5 kids during the day. One of them is 1/2 day Kindergarten the rest are full time. I have 3 kids that are 15 months, 18 months, and just 2 years old. The 2 year old acts more like the 15 month old though and the 2 littlest listen so good. But then I have a 3 1/2 year old boy in the mix too. He is the one I am more concerned about.

He had a little friend that he grew up with in my daycare, but he recently moved on and went to preschool. So I think he is a little sad and keeps on talking about how he is going to school next year.

I want to be able to do activities with all of them, but I am not sure how to accommodate all the ages into activities. We do coloring, painting. And lots of things through play.
DancingQueen 09:27 AM 09-15-2010
I'll be watching this post for responses. I too struggle with the varying ages.
DCMomOf3 10:28 AM 09-15-2010
I have a few thoughts. You can make the 3yo your helper with the smaller ones. Have him help the most mature toddler with gluing, etc. When you do a craft, pre-cut the pieces for the toddlers but have the 3yo practice cutting his own. I guess all in all, gove him the same things but don't completely prepare his things as you do the toddlers. Also, if you are painting, the babies can do whatever but give the 3yo something specific to paint; i.e. jack o-lantern, trees, flowers, etc. with crayon/marker time give him letter tracing sheets instead of blank pages, things like that.
momofsix 11:21 AM 09-15-2010
my 31/2yo gets to do special activities that the others don't get to do, because he's the only one that doesn't put the things in his mouth-a big incentive for the others (i hope!) He does "tray activities" at the table, and I have him blocked off with a gate so the little ones can't get his stuff. He does things like the activities on this website, and he LOVES it!
(I think I got this link from someone on this board
http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TraysforTots.html
SilverSabre25 01:15 PM 09-15-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
my 31/2yo gets to do special activities that the others don't get to do, because he's the only one that doesn't put the things in his mouth-a big incentive for the others (i hope!) He does "tray activities" at the table, and I have him blocked off with a gate so the little ones can't get his stuff. He does things like the activities on this website, and he LOVES it!
Ooo that website is AWESOME! I love it! Will have to try to start planning and incorporating some of these...I'm picturing them making excellent quiet time activities for my DD and DCG who don't nap...seated, focused, independent...
PAMommy1228 05:12 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:

This is such an amazing idea!! Thanks so much!
Tags:activities, age appropriate
Reply Up