Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM's Input on Infant's Sleeping
lovemykidstoo 11:24 AM 01-05-2015
First of all, I want to say that I love this dcm. She actually just referred another family to me and I'm meeting with them tomorrow (crossing fingers). I don't want this to come off as me not liking her, because I do. She has her 2 boys with me (3 yrs and another 8 month old). She took 3 yr old to the dr today. Picked him up about 10:30 and brought him back about 11:30. Infant dcb used to take 2 naps with me. He would sleep for about 2 hours in the morning and then an hour later in the day. I've been transitioning him into 1 nap a day along with everyone else. I just found it too draining to have him nap while everyone else was up, then have him up while everyone was sleeping, and then him sleeping again while everyone was up. I never got a minute break for 10 hours. Plus, he's doing fine with it He has about 45 minutes where he's crabby, but I think that will get less and less as he's used to it. Anyway, when she came back to drop off older dcb I was feeding her infant and he was a bit crabby. She commented about how he takes 2 naps a day at home and usually they're at 10:30 and about 3:00 and she was surprised that he was up when she came earlier. Kinda irritated me because I thought, geez am I not supposed to get a break? She knows that her older child goes down about 12:30 along with all the others, so she knows that her baby woudl be away while they slept.
Controlled Chaos 12:50 PM 01-05-2015
Babies don't believe in breaks lol

I just transitioned my 14 month old to one nap. She definitely wasn't ready at 8 months. I have a dcg who is 11 months old a not quite ready for one nap yet. Some days...but not consistently.

You know this baby, but I would be surprised if it is ready for one nap. I would worry he would then need an evening nap that would disrupt bed time.

In my opinion, mom was not out of line. I would talk to her openly open the process of transitioning his nap.
SquirrellyMama 12:53 PM 01-05-2015
If for some reason the 1 nap doesn't work can you transition him to an hour in the am and 2 hours in the pm?

Kelly
Unregistered 12:55 PM 01-05-2015
I think 8 months is a little young for just one nap. Could you try doing the morning nap from 9-10:30, so then the baby should be ready for nap when the other kids go down after lunch? I have a 13 month old who naps 9-11 and 1:30-3:30, and it works great because the older kids get one on one time with me during the morning nap and I still get a break from ALL of them during the afternoon nap. (like right now! eating lunch and surfing the net...I love a quiet house!)
Controlled Chaos 12:59 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think 8 months is a little young for just one nap. Could you try doing the morning nap from 9-10:30, so then the baby should be ready for nap when the other kids go down after lunch? I have a 13 month old who naps 9-11 and 1:30-3:30, and it works great because the older kids get one on one time with me during the morning nap and I still get a break from ALL of them during the afternoon nap. (like right now! eating lunch and surfing the net...I love a quiet house!)

preschoolteacher 01:15 PM 01-05-2015
I agree with the others. I'd give the baby a morning nap around nine so he can nap again at the same time as the big kids. If that morning nap is short because the big kids were too noisy, so be it. The baby I had learned to nap through the noise!
itlw8 01:42 PM 01-05-2015
While I have always believed in 2 naps for the littles at 8 months the one I have now would not fall asleep anymore. It started when he started standing and never stopped. so I started feeding him early and putting him down at 11:45 It has worked for him. not the best choice but it works and he sleeps the same if not longer total weird I did tell mom and she was fine. Infact she started switching also because he would not nap in the morning for her either
lovemykidstoo 02:20 PM 01-05-2015
The thing is, when he takes a morning nap and then an late afternoon nap, he's terrible fussy the entire time he's up. I figured that since his naps were not that long (2 hours in the morning is the most he's ever done, mostly it's 45 minutes), then maybe 1 long one instead of 2 short ones is what he needs. His attitude has changed quite a bit since doing that one nap. Yea, he's fussy for about 30-45 minutes around lunch, but that's it. Seriously, with the 2 short naps I'm pulling my hair out with him. He needs to be constantly held, talked to etc with the 2 naps. I wouldn't care if he was up when the others were sleeping if he was happy, but he cries non-stop when I do that.
cheerfuldom 02:46 PM 01-05-2015
posted on the wrong thread....
cheerfuldom 02:58 PM 01-05-2015
Do whatever schedule works for you. You dont need to validate your decision with us. If he is happier on one nap and you are happier, go with it. I wouldnt even say anything about it to mom unless she directly asks or unless you have in your contract something about the parent setting the infant schedule or something else that restricts your actions.
SquirrellyMama 02:59 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The thing is, when he takes a morning nap and then an late afternoon nap, he's terrible fussy the entire time he's up. I figured that since his naps were not that long (2 hours in the morning is the most he's ever done, mostly it's 45 minutes), then maybe 1 long one instead of 2 short ones is what he needs. His attitude has changed quite a bit since doing that one nap. Yea, he's fussy for about 30-45 minutes around lunch, but that's it. Seriously, with the 2 short naps I'm pulling my hair out with him. He needs to be constantly held, talked to etc with the 2 naps. I wouldn't care if he was up when the others were sleeping if he was happy, but he cries non-stop when I do that.
Totally get where you are coming from. I was so happy when my son went to one long nap instead of two shorter naps. I think he did that around 1, but it could have been earlier. Not every kid is the same.

Maybe explain to mom that dynamics are different in daycare than at home. The one long nap could be good for your house.

Kelly
Tags:infant - sleeping issues
Reply Up