Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help asap!
daycarediva 12:42 PM 12-14-2015
20mo woke with 101.3 fever. Called Mom and Dad. Mom is not answering phone, text, email, office can't reach her, etc. Dad is working hours away out of town. Emergency contact is on vacation (both sets of grandparents- for holidays)

That was an hour and change ago. Fever is now 102.2

How high do I let this go? WWYD??! I am not legally allowed to give meds.
childcaremom 12:43 PM 12-14-2015
Is Dad reachable by text? Maybe he knows another way to reach mom?
mommiebookworm 12:44 PM 12-14-2015
Do you know where Mom works? Maybe try calling there?
mommiebookworm 12:46 PM 12-14-2015
Cool washcloths on forehead
childcaremom 01:00 PM 12-14-2015
Do you have a time limit for parents to respond to your call/text in case of illness?

I have never been faced with this scenario but I would call my licensor (maybe, not sure as I am unlicensed) to ask for advice for next step, I would not be administering meds, I would be then proceeding to next step if I can't reach a contact (child services, emerg, maybe? not really sure) depending on temp, length of time trying, number of attempts, etc.

I would also be telling mom that either a) she's termed or b) she needs to get alternate contacts in place if her emergency contacts are out of town AND she needs to be reachable.

How's little one doing?
Laurel 01:06 PM 12-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
20mo woke with 101.3 fever. Called Mom and Dad. Mom is not answering phone, text, email, office can't reach her, etc. Dad is working hours away out of town. Emergency contact is on vacation (both sets of grandparents- for holidays)

That was an hour and change ago. Fever is now 102.2

How high do I let this go? WWYD??! I am not legally allowed to give meds.
I would call the child's doctor's office and explain the situation. Then I would do what they said. If all else fails and you don't know what else to do....911 to cover your butt.
midaycare 01:11 PM 12-14-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I would call the child's doctor's office and explain the situation. Then I would do what they said. If all else fails and you don't know what else to do....911 to cover your butt.
I agree
Play Care 01:11 PM 12-14-2015
Updates?
daycare 02:52 PM 12-14-2015
I would still contact dad anyways. I would contact everyone on their emergency contact and even leave a messages asking them to call you back.

I would make certain that you call moms work and leave a message there that she needs to call you back asap.

the fever is not actually that high to be too concerned, but I would be removing clothing and starving the fever.

DCM better have a really good reason to not be in reach.

if you can get in touch with dcd ask if there is someone else you can call.
Ariana 05:01 PM 12-14-2015
You cannot give over the counter meds? UGH.

I would just do what I could to get the fever down. cold cloths, strip her down to a diaper. Make sure she is drinking cold fluids.

I would be mad as heck if I couldn't get through to mom and I wasn't allowed to give meds. If temp reaches 104 call 911.

Any update??!! hopefully all is ok and you were able to get a hold of someone.
MunchkinWrangler 09:24 PM 12-14-2015
All of this!! I would have a stern talk with Mom. She needs to be reachable, NO EXCEPTIONS!! I am licensed and I have to exclude for a fever and the child needs to be picked up immediately. I am allowed to give over the counter medications if I feel it is an emergency, a consent form is filled out at the time of enrollment. This is a possible term situation as well, obviously if you feel it is an emergency 911 should be called, but no childcare provider should be scrambling to get a hold of the parents in any sort of medical event. I make it very clear to parents that I will do what is necessary for a given situation but if they are out of contact, it's grounds for immediate termination, as ultimately they are responsible for their children. I hope you were able to reach her but do not let this go.
hsdcmama 07:35 AM 12-15-2015
I had a similar situation with a dc family that I ended up terming bc this was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was 20 mins past the kids' pickup time, so I called dcm -- no answer. Left a message, waited 10 minutes, then called again. Same thing. So I called the emergency contact (single mom, so no husband to contact first) -- no answer. My daughter was due at 6 for a dance rehearsal, and it was now 5:30. Finally, at about 5:45, the mom called me back and said she was having car trouble. I asked where her emergency contact was, and she said that person was with her, helping her with her car! So instead of calling me to let me know she would be late, and sending the emergency contact to pick up the kids, she had the emergency contact come and help HER instead. She ended up picking the kids up 2 HOURS late, at about 7:00. I was fuming. I had her term papers ready at the door, and after that I wrote into my contract that I MUST be able to reach either you or your emergency contact at all times, and I must get a call back within 30 minutes or they will be termed. All kinds of scary situations were running through my head, that's a serious safety issue if you have an emergency and can't get in touch with anyone to come pick the kids up. I would NOT let this one go.
Little Learners 07:42 AM 12-15-2015
You think that's bad, I recently had to term a single mother. Red flags right away and late payment so I checked her contact number and work number, FAKE. First time that ever happened.
LysesKids 08:07 AM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Little Learners:
You think that's bad, I recently had to term a single mother. Red flags right away and late payment so I checked her contact number and work number, FAKE. First time that ever happened.
I remember my first voucher parent pulled that (6 months into starting childcare)... his little girl got ill & I tried calling all the #'s no luck so I called subsidy office & asked what to do because they supposedly verified all his info - they told me it wasn't my business that his #'s were false & that he wasn't at work; like he** it's not my business, this child was running 102+. I told them to take me off the list right there for vouchers & the father was terminated when he showed up. I told licensing what subsidy office had told me and they were floored. (WV mid 2001).
daycarediva 09:32 AM 12-15-2015
I spoke with Dad, he was hours away but left right that minute. He continually tried calling Mom/someone on the pick up list and sent me numerous texts to keep him updated.

Called Mom's work and cell numbers, googled her main office line and called that.

Called and spoke to both sets of grandparents- one is in NYC shopping, other set were out of state visiting grandkids.

Called registrar, she was out of the office. Asked for ANYONE to call me back. Got the registrar for a different county, she said if it reached 104 to call 911.

Busiest time of day is now starting, I have dcg (crying and unconsolable) undressed. While trying to serve snack to 7 other kids!

Mom showed up almost 2 hours after I called, she was at a conference and left her cell in the conference room, went back to get it, couldn't get in. Then she hit a deer leaving. She looked like hell, was in a rental.

Otherwise golden family having a very crappy day. She apologized profusely, is getting me some more emergency contacts, and wrote me a check for the late fees (and then some).

WHAT A DAY!

Now today,dcb comes back who supposedly had an impromptu sleepover with grandma. Is not eating, is miserable, has a diarrhea accident and tells me he threw up at grandma's yesterday. He went home immediately and I am contemplating a term. UGH! PEOPLE!
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 12-15-2015
DaycareDiva......

Play Care 09:38 AM 12-15-2015
Yikes!!!

Hope the day improves
Ariana 10:10 AM 12-15-2015
Oh my word!!! You had the day from the twilight zone!!

Reply Up