Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Charges for The Early Pick Up Myth?
Indoorvoice 12:09 PM 01-22-2019
How awful of a daycare provider would I be if when a parent tells me they're picking up early that I charge them if they aren't here by the time they tell me? I have one parent really bad about this and it's driving me crazy. Also do you say anything when they show up late for the time they told you? I'm trying to figure out something clever to say without sounding too harsh.
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 01-22-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
How awful of a daycare provider would I be if when a parent tells me they're picking up early that I charge them if they aren't here by the time they tell me? I have one parent really bad about this and it's driving me crazy. Also do you say anything when they show up late for the time they told you? I'm trying to figure out something clever to say without sounding too harsh.
I have several parents that contract until 5.

ANY time they (or any parent for that matter) tells me they are picking up early, I hand them a Post-it note and have them write down the time they are picking up. I have them sign and date it.

That becomes their (temp) contract time for that day and they are charged accordingly (late fees of $1 per minute) if they aren't here by that time.

I explain to them that my time is scheduled and most my outside appointments are pretty much dependent on my work schedule so when a parent tells me a time change I take it seriously and will schedule activities and/or appointments based on that.

I don't ever discuss other kids still here or not here as that isn't their concern.

I'd tell your parent(s) that once they give you a time (have them write it down) that is the time you expect them to be there by. They don't really need to know why, just that your time is scheduled and it messes up a lot of things when parents don't follow through.
Indoorvoice 12:22 PM 01-22-2019
Thanks! That's exactly my problem. This was my only kid today so I told my kids I could pick them up from school. Now I can't. It sucks. I will try this.
Cat Herder 05:17 AM 01-23-2019
I am on the other side of this fence.

I expect them to be later than usual whenever they say they will be early. It is almost a given that the parent will make some other plan for that early day off throughout the workday that does not include their kid, because the kid "won't know the difference anyway and it will only take a few minutes to do...." (pharmacy, grocery, post office, gas station), "Sorry it took longer than expected."

I don't make plans during my operating hours as they are already paid for in advance. If I am gifted an hour here and there, it is gravy.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am on the other side of this fence.

I expect them to be later than usual whenever they say they will be early. It is almost a given that the parent will make some other plan for that early day off throughout the workday that does not include their kid, because the kid "won't know the difference anyway and it will only take a few minutes to do...." (pharmacy, grocery, post office, gas station), "Sorry it took longer than expected."

I don't make plans during my operating hours as they are already paid for in advance. If I am gifted an hour here and there, it is gravy.
I don't have "operating hours".

I work only when I am contracted to do so.
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have "operating hours".

I work only when I am contracted to do so.
I know how you operate.

I don't know how OP operates.
CountryRoads 07:59 AM 01-23-2019
I wish I had the balls to say something, but I don't.

But if I did, then I totally would.

I had a dcm who last week told me her kids wouldn't be here on Friday. I asked her this morning so I could write it down in my planner.

"We're not going anymore. They will be here."

Umm...and when were you going to let me know?

I wish I would've told her I made plans according to her kids being absent, so too bad! But as stated earlier, I don't have the balls.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I wish I had the balls to say something, but I don't.

But if I did, then I totally would.

I had a dcm who last week told me her kids wouldn't be here on Friday. I asked her this morning so I could write it down in my planner.

"We're not going anymore. They will be here."

Umm...and when were you going to let me know?

I wish I would've told her I made plans according to her kids being absent, so too bad! But as stated earlier, I don't have the balls.
You'll get there

Dr Phil says, "People don't change their behavior until it becomes a problem for them"

I say this often in reference to parents and bad behaviors but it applies to providers as well.

At some point in a provider's career, you suddenly realize how much you do above and beyond or even how much you look the other way and just "deal with" unwanted behaviors from parents and it sucks.

At first it just sucks.

Then the "bother" becomes great enough that you are no longer willing to suck it up and just deal with it and you start saying something.

If it's harder to say something, you suck it up and deal with it.

If it's harder to suck it up and deal with it, then you say something.

So like Dr Phil said... "people don't change their behavior until it becomes a problem for them."

There is a lot of truth in that.
LittleExplorers 08:13 AM 01-23-2019
I would hold them to it, especially if it was my only family for the day. Explain why it matters.

I am only in year 2 of daycare but quickly learned you can't run your business with your heart or you will be taken advantage of and burn out, IMO.

If I told my kids I would pick them up, the parent would be required to pick up their kids in time.
Tags:late pick up fee
Reply Up