Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Normal" Is So Broad, I Sometimes Need A Second Opinion...
Baby Beluga 07:48 AM 01-23-2019
On whether a behavior is "normal" or not.

DB is 3 years old (turned 3 in November) is verbal. Is not potty trained.

DCB has had many issues with aggression here before, but it's always been manageable. He IS loving, when he wants to be. Mom calls him her "spicy meatball" because he is, well, that type of kid I'm not judging, goodness knows my own DD has issues. I'm just painting a picture.

Today DCB punched a child, with a closed fist, in the shoulder. DCB took a magna tile from another child, that child said no, and took it back.

This DCB is known for having issues with sharing, grabbing and hitting others with toys. Mom is aware of this.

I've written up an incident report for mom. And since this DCB in question has trouble with the magna tiles and dinos on an almost daily basis, he will not be allowed to use them for the remainder of the week.

But, is punching at this age normal? TBH, I was shocked when it happened! In all of my years doing this I have never, ever, had a child punch another child with a closed fist. Usually what happens with this DCB, is when he does something he shouldn't, I correct him (whether it be separation, redirection, etc) and his crosses his arms huffs, puts his head down and then moves on.

I've written up an incident report for mom. DCB was put in time out (mom uses T.O at home) and is now in his own center, as the rest of the class is not ready to clean up magna tiles and dinos and I don't feel they need to be punished when they are playing wonderfully with the tiles together.

Old wise ones, what to do here?
Tags:aggressive behavior, normal, what is normal behavior
Up