Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this Info Necessary to Give to Potential Clients?
Ac114 08:59 AM 03-12-2019
A little back story first. I interviewed a mother and son duo. Mother has adult children and young children still in elm school. She needs after school care for her 8 year old until the end of the year but son who has a 2 year old needs every other week care. When I first spoke with them she said her son needed full time care for her grandson until we interviewed and it turned out that he didn’t have any custody order in place yet but is trying to get his ducks in a row for a court hearing that was coming up but was hoping for at least 50/50. I said I can only accommodate and every other week schedule if I am paid every week to hold his spot. They were ok with that.... so a few days go by and I always send out a thank you message for interviewing and if they have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. No response.

Fast forward to this morning (a little over 2 weeks ago since I interviewed) grandma is at court with son and she said his attorney was requesting my license info, my homeowners insurance to prove I am covered, my tax id number and any other info to prove that I am a business. I said here’s my phone number (she contacted me through Facebook and called me through the messaging app) and have the attorney call me if he has questions but I am not comfortable sending this info via Facebook message. So my question is, isn’t that a little overstepping on what I need to provide someone, especially someone who isn’t even enrolled in my daycare? I don’t know them and is this typical for an attorney to request this stuff in a custody hearing? I hadn’t planned on enrolling since I haven’t heard from them in over 2 weeks but I’m just confused by the phone call.
LittleExplorers 09:03 AM 03-12-2019
It could be for the purpose of child support or part of the custody agreement. It may be per mom's request and the judge is obliging. I would do as you said and verify with the attorney, but your license is public knowledge. Maybe direct them to where they can find that info online?
Ac114 09:07 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
It could be for the purpose of child support or part of the custody agreement. It may be per mom's request and the judge is obliging. I would do as you said and verify with the attorney, but your license is public knowledge. Maybe direct them to where they can find that info online?
That’s a good idea. I was ok with the license part but I was just wondering why I needed to provide my tax info or homeowners insurance coverage.
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 03-12-2019
My guess is the parent needs to prove daycare verses just saying he has daycare lined up.

HOWEVER, I would not feel comfortable providing any of this info to someone that is not a client in the process of enrolling or already enrolled.

I would refer the parent to your licensor and have them verify with licensing that you are a legally operating child care program.
Cat Herder 11:00 AM 03-12-2019
"All of my public business info is available online at ____. Unfortunately, as your family is not enrolled in my daycare and I no longer have any available slots, I don't feel giving out my private insurance and tax information is in my best interests. Thank for your understanding. Good luck with your childcare search."

Sounds like they believe they are enrolled and may have your information worked into the parenting agreement, not judges orders. I'd recommend them going for *right of first refusal* and leaving childcare open to choice as needs change easier than parenting contracts.
LittleExplorers 12:07 PM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"All of my public business info is available online at ____. Unfortunately, as your family is not enrolled in my daycare and I no longer have any available slots, I don't feel giving out my private insurance and tax information is in my best interests. Thank for your understanding. Good luck with your childcare search."

Sounds like they believe they are enrolled and may have your information worked into the parenting agreement, not judges orders. I'd recommend them going for *right of first refusal* and leaving childcare open to choice as needs change easier than parenting contracts.
Excellent points!
Ac114 01:09 PM 03-12-2019

This is good to know. I’ve never went through a custody battle and I’ve never had anyone request info because of one so I was a little baffled by the phone call. Not to mention I hadn’t heard from them in over 2 weeks and nothing was filled out nor a deposit given.
rosieteddy 01:35 PM 03-12-2019
I would go with catherders response.They didn't follow up ,enroll,or return your original thankyou.Nope not giving private info especially as they are not even enrolled.Run away was my first instinct.
LysesKids 08:14 PM 03-14-2019

In 2011 I had a mom enroll her 3 month old baby then pull out less than 2 weeks later, as the boyfriend wanted to care for the babe on days off... 6 weeks down the line she contacted me expecting me to provide all info as she was in a custody/support battle and assumed she still had care here (she didn't, spot was filled when she pulled out). I essentially stated the above info as she was no longer a client & I was not giving my private info out just so she could win the battle. Her mom went ballistic on me for not agreeing to take infant back
Tags:custody issues, facebook, personal information
Reply Up