Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tax Number
Pandaluver21 10:10 PM 04-09-2019
I am at a loss!
A past parent (that did not leave so great) contacted me because they were doing their taxes and wanted to claim for the time they were here. I told her I would get her my EIN. Since having this family, we have completely re-arranged and I am no longer doing preschool. The paper that has my EIN on it is no where to be found. I let her know this, and have done everything I can think of (Tearing apart my house and garage, calling IRS, asking previous parents) and am not able to get the darn number. I gave her my license number, and after lots, and lots, and LOTS of nagging I finally gave in and gave her my social. She is now saying she needs the social AND EIN. I know we are obligated to give parents the number, but I don't know what else to do. Have I held up my end? Do I need to give her the EIN if I've already given her the license number and my social (which I'm not thrilled about)
284878 10:58 PM 04-09-2019
Have you tried to apply for a new ein?
It may say you have one and send your number again. (Make sure you use the IRS site)

I believe she can claim with out either, but message Tom Copeland he will be able to answer your question better.
soso78 06:21 AM 04-10-2019
This is posted on the H&R Block site.

You cannot claim a deduction for childcare expenses. To claim the child and dependent care credit, you must identify the care provider on Form 2441. So, you must have the care provider’s:

Name
Address
Taxpayer identification number — unless the care provider is a not-for-profit, like a church or school

The taxpayer identification number should be either:

For an individual — Social Security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
For an organization — Employer identification number (EIN). If the care provider is a not-for-profit, you don’t need the taxpayer identification number. Instead, write “exempt”where the form asks for the number.
Keep a Form W-10 that the childcare provider completes. If the provider does’t give you the information, complete the entries you can on Form W-10, Line 1. Enter “See attached statement”in the columns for which you don’t have information. Then, attach a statement to your return. In the statement, explain why your care provider didn’t give you the information.

Has the parent provided you with a W-10? I would not have given out my social, but if she has that then she doesn't need your EIN.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 04-10-2019
They can still file/claim the expense they just won't be able to e-file.

https://help.creditkarma.com/hc/en-u...what-can-I-do-

Too late now but I would not have given her my SS# and would have required her to bring you a W10 form. I would have added a statement saying you aren't refusing to provide the EIN but don't know what it is. If the IRS needs it they can definitely contact you but I would not give any additional info to the parent.
Pandaluver21 09:43 AM 04-10-2019
OH trust me, I know giving her my social was a bad idea, but that can't be undone now :P

When I called the IRS they said not to apply for a new one cause it might mess something up?

I have been doing this for over 10 years and have had TWO parents even ask to claim it :P In the past I have given out a w-10 with the information, but most people don't care to do it.

She is using turbo tax and said she "won't be able to file her taxes at all if I don't get her this number" ....
happymom 10:13 AM 04-10-2019
I am wondering why is it a bad idea to give her your social?

If you don't have an EIN a SS/address/name is just as good and works for tax filing purposes. This is how I claimed a tax credit .

Is she malicious? Unless she is, there's no reason it should be worrisome to give SS number.
happymom 10:13 AM 04-10-2019
But she doesn't need both! If she already has your SS, she is doing something incorrectly in turbotax!
coloradoprovider 10:40 AM 04-10-2019
You could ask previous parents to look at their tax returns, they probably have the EIN number.
e.j. 11:36 AM 04-10-2019
Do you have a copy of your tax paperwork from last year? It should be listed on that, I think. My EIN # is on the Profit or Loss From Business form (Schedule C Form 1040). I would think your SSN should be all she needs, though.
Pandaluver21 06:40 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
I am wondering why is it a bad idea to give her your social?

If you don't have an EIN a SS/address/name is just as good and works for tax filing purposes. This is how I claimed a tax credit .

Is she malicious? Unless she is, there's no reason it should be worrisome to give SS number.
She's crazy. Did not leave well and I don't trust her. I have given it to other parents and I don't mind them having it cause I trust them.

Originally Posted by happymom:
But she doesn't need both! If she already has your SS, she is doing something incorrectly in turbotax!
She said it's asking for both and wont let her file without it... and it's my fault

Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
You could ask previous parents to look at their tax returns, they probably have the EIN number.
I've only had two other parents in the last 10 years, ask for filing purposes. I asked them both for it, one said she didn't know where her papers were but was pretty sure it was my social, the other one only had her last years which had my social, though I know I gave her my EIN in previous years.

Originally Posted by e.j.:
Do you have a copy of your tax paperwork from last year? It should be listed on that, I think. My EIN # is on the Profit or Loss From Business form (Schedule C Form 1040). I would think your SSN should be all she needs, though.
It only has my social on it, I haven't really used my EIN much.
knoxmomof2 09:39 AM 04-14-2019
Maybe they can fax it to you? https://help.synapsefi.com/hc/en-us/...bile_site=true

That being said, she only needs your name, address, amount paid and social or EIN. I know because I gave mine to a parent when I was new and before I had an EIN. He was a private investigator so I figured he could get it himself if he really wanted to. He's the one that told me "you need to get an EIN." So, I did. I've also had a former client email me as she was doing her taxes and tell me verbatim what it said she needed.

Google a W10 and you'll see that's all the info they need. I've gone into the child care credit section of TaxAct out of curiosity and it's the same info as the form.

Just tell her, "I've already given you the information that I am required to by law. If you're struggling with how to input that with your tax software, you should contact their customer support."
LostMyMarbles 01:21 PM 04-15-2019
Isn’t you EIN available through your accountant’s office? My parents all have mine from former years. I swear we must have the same group of DCPs that were dealing with. I gave all of my parents their tax forms at the end of January. I had a dad get a hold me last week, and tell me he needs the information. I told him I gave it to his wife months ago.

My favorite parent text story happened about three years ago. I had a mom who called me and texted me on a Friday night, telling me that she needed her tax information right then and there because she was at her tax accountants office having her stuff done. Needless to say I didn’t respond, it was a Friday night at about 7 o’clock. I wasn’t even home to get to the information, and if I was I probably would not have responded anyways, due to it being in my handbook That the parents are not to contact me between the hours of 7 PM and 7 AM and not on weekends. Oh, and it was also her demanding attitude that made me not want to respond if I was home. Anyways, Monday rolls around, and I gave her her information. She told me she no longer needed it because she found it online. I asked her what specifically she found online. She told me my license number. Yup she claimed it under my license number. I’m sure the IRS had lotta fun with that one
Mom2Two 05:35 PM 04-15-2019
I was wondering if you can just call your state department of commerce to look up your number. Or maybe you can still login online even if you didn't renew your business.
Tags:w-10
Reply Up