Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ahh...The Famous "Can You Shorten Their Nap".......
Ms.Kay 05:31 AM 08-30-2019
Just want to ask any parents out there....why do you think if a nap is shortened at daycare...the child will be tired earlier? I have a very active daycare...we are outside every chance we get...on the playground...walks to parks...obstacle courses..ect. After lunch my kids are tired out!!! They need to sleep....and.they crash hard. After they're picked up...they need to get tired out again. This is the responsibility of the parents..IMO. any enlightenment from anyone? TIA
Ariana 10:52 AM 08-30-2019
This is my number one pet peeve! If your kid is tired, they get an opportunity to rest. It is mandated here that children get at least an hour of down time. So I provide that. I had a mom try to convince me they don’t have rest time in kindergarten when my own kid was in kindergarten...with a required nap mat!!
Ms. Alison 01:21 PM 08-30-2019
The reason parents request this is because they don't want to parent their own child in the evening. It's ridiculous and unfair to everyone; the staff, the other children, and their own child! I tell parents that their child is required to lay quietly during our nap time. If they fall asleep, they fall asleep. If they don't want to comply, then my daycare is not the right fit for their family.
CountryRoads 01:29 PM 08-30-2019
I've never had someone ask me to shorten naps, but I agree that some parents don't want to parent at home. They want their child to just fall asleep without any problems.

I have a dcm who puts her child to bed at 7 every night. She's very strict about it and will even make her evening plans around his bedtime. She says she needs this time to herself. She doesn't work by the way, and brings her child to me from 8-4:15ish. So, she sees her child for less than 3 hours at night before he goes to bed. Don't quite understand it.
rosieteddy 05:43 AM 08-31-2019
My answer was always nope not going to happen.Nap was onepm to three pm.I told them music goes off lights on and everybody is up by 3:30.If it didn't work for them they needed to find a different program .No one ever left over it.
PB&J 07:27 AM 08-31-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
Just want to ask any parents out there....why do you think if a nap is shortened at daycare...the child will be tired earlier? I have a very active daycare...we are outside every chance we get...on the playground...walks to parks...obstacle courses..ect. After lunch my kids are tired out!!! They need to sleep....and.they crash hard. After they're picked up...they need to get tired out again. This is the responsibility of the parents..IMO. any enlightenment from anyone? TIA
I’m sure parents are tired after work, especially if there are older siblings who need help with homework! But.....I don’t know why parents can’t take some time for park play or indoor freeze-dance time, etc to enjoy their child and wear him out.....especially at this fun age and when they already don’t get to see their kids all day! I understand that SOME days are extra-exhausting for a parent, but to request for five straight days each week that your child be exhausted and ready for bed by 7:00?? Forced Exhaustion is unhealthy and neglectful. Like the OP, I’d like to hear from the parents. Maybe post this in the Parent Forum?
Snowmom 07:59 AM 08-31-2019
In my handbook, it reads:
Nap time is non-negotiable. Every child is required to rest their minds and bodies between 1-3. Please do not ask for this time to be modified in any way. Please respect me, as your provider and the other children in care by understanding this time of the day is essential to healthy growth and development.

Any time a parent has asked (and it's rare because I go over this policy in depth at the interview because I can't technically have a written "no nap time pick up" in my handbook), I refer them to this section. I don't even discuss it- because I have asked them NOT TO and they agreed by signing.
Meeko 02:53 PM 08-31-2019
"If they have outgrown nap, they have outgrown my daycare. Is this your two weeks notice?"

*Backtrack...backtrack...backtrack....*
nannyde 05:42 PM 08-31-2019
"I don't provide service to children who don't need a FULL afternoon nap."

If your child needs a shortened nap, I can't provide that service.
Tags:easier, nap, nap length, nap times, no cry parenting, parents - don't cooperate, sleep - solutions
Reply Up