Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2020 Hot Car Deaths
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 04-28-2020
Always look again and have a plan if you transport children.

*Consider calling your clients who are no call, no shows.

Source: https://noheatstroke.org/index.htm
Cat Herder 11:38 AM 04-28-2020
1 4/25/2020 Tomball, TX 78 degrees Boy 4 yrs

"A 4-year-old boy died after he climbed into his family’s car without anyone noticing Friday near Tomball.

The boy was at his home in the 12800 block of Mimosa Spring Drive when he walked out of the house without supervision around 3:30 p.m., according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. No one inside the home noticed he was gone for some time, which is when they checked the car, police said." - https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...t-15231031.php
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 05-18-2020
This child is still alive, but critical. I was shocked by the whole article.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - A 23-year-old woman has been arrested after investigators said she intentionally set her car on fire while her 14-month-old son sat inside.

The Columbia Police Department has charged Caylin Watson with attempted murder, first-degree arson, third-degree arson, and abuse of great bodily injury.

Investigators said the car was parked near mile marker 1 on I-126 West just after 1:30 p.m. on Sunday. Because of the fire, the child suffered severe burns on his body and is listed in critical condition at the Augusta Burn Center. Watson was also treated for minor injuries at a local hospital before she was taken to jail.

Four witnesses traveling along the highway saw the car on fire and stopped to help by either calling 911 or getting out of their vehicles to help the child.

Columbia Police officers arrived on the scene along with members of the Columbia Fire Department to put out the fire.

Watson was detained by authorities after authorities found evidence suggesting the fire was intentionally set. - https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/SC...Ki-Arwljv9JwYY
jenboo 10:08 PM 05-18-2020
I had a DREAM last night that I left my son in the car and when I came back, he was screaming for me and drenched in sweat. I still can't shake the feeling .
Unregistered 06:04 AM 05-19-2020
I don't understand how these things are happening with schools and a lot of daycares being closed. How did a child get into (I'm assuming) a locked car?
happymom 08:33 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't understand how these things are happening with schools and a lot of daycares being closed. How did a child get into (I'm assuming) a locked car?
So many parents schedules are different. Many have one parent working from home WHILE taking care of their children. A child you may think is watching a movie could slip out into the garage or driveway and go inside an unlocked car while you are on a conference call.
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 06-16-2020
4, now.

2) 5/28/2020 Clewiston, FL, 90 degrees, Girl, 10 months old - "CLEWISTON, Fla. — The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has confirmed they have been asked to investigate the death of a baby left in a hot vehicle at the request of the Clewiston Police Department. The baby was left in a vehicle in Clewiston on May 26th. FDLE says it is early in the investigation, and it is still an active and ongoing investigation. They are unable to provide additional details at this time but will update when they can provide more information regarding the case." - https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-n...in-hot-vehicle

3) 6/13/2020 Tulsa, OK, 94 degrees, Boy,3 years old, 4) 6/13/2020 Tulsa, OK, 94 degrees, Girl, 4 years old - "TULSA, Okla. — An Oklahoma man was arrested Saturday after police said he left his two children inside a locked truck for five hours.

Dustin Lee Dennis, 31, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder after his children, who were both under the age of 5, were pronounced dead at his home, according to an arrest report.

Dennis told police he drove to QuikTrip with his children around noon and then returned to his home, according to an arrest report. Dennis then fell asleep for four to five hours and when he woke up, he couldn’t find his children, police said.

Dennis told police he found his children in the floorboard of the truck and then moved the children to the living room where paramedics pronounced the children dead. The cause of the children’s death was not immediately released.

“A neighbor had video of Dennis leaving, then locking his truck and going inside without getting the children out,” the arrest report states. “The children had not been checked on for nearly five hours during the time they were locked inside the vehicle.”

Saturday’s high temperature in Tulsa reached the low 90s, according to the National Weather Service. Within minutes of being left inside a hot car, a child can begin to suffer the life-threatening symptoms of heatstroke, according to kidsandcars.org. The inside of a vehicle acts like a greenhouse trapping in heat causing the temperature inside to rise very quickly.

Dennis is currently in the Tulsa County jail on a $1 million bond." - https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/...-CkYXLwcRLZxAA

Update: UPDATE 6/15/2020:

Today Investigators with the Tulsa Police Department brought to the attention of the District Attorney’s Office additional information they were able to develop in the matter of the deaths of Tegan and Ryan Dennis. Detectives within the Child Crisis Unit were concerned about conflicting information as it related to the initially reported facts. Video surveillance footage from a neighbor’s home confirmed that the children managed to get into the truck and tragically never got out. Based upon that newly discovered evidence, the detectives immediately reported it to our office.

They then presented that information to the judge who initially set bond. Mr. Dennis was authorized for release on a personal recognizance bond. No formal charges have been filed in this case. Once the investigation is complete, the DA’s Office will review evidence and probable cause and decide whether or not to file charges.

Officials say it is always important to note that our Constitution guarantees the presumption of innocence for any person accused of or arrested for a crime. That presumption of innocence remains until and unless a judge or jury determines otherwise.

Dustin Dennis was released from the Tulsa Jail around 3 this afternoon.

Chantiel Keyes, organizer of the kids GoFundMe page and the kids aunt, says she’s aware of the new info from the DA’s Office and says, “It’s still a tragedy that could have been prevented.”

The Dennis Kids memorial service will be Friday June 19th at 2 p.m. It will be at the Pleasant View Baptist Church in Pryor." - https://www.fox23.com/news/local/pol...W_fj3oy6nDMfJA
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 06-26-2020
5.) 6/18/2020, Ellerbe, NC, 81 degrees, Boy, 22 months

ELLERBE, N.C. — A 22-month-old died Thursday after being left in a vehicle in Ellerbe at an unlicensed childcare facility. - https://www.wltx.com/article/news/cr...8-a55bc6600d2a

I don't know why I can't find any other articles or information about it.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
5.) 6/18/2020, Ellerbe, NC, 81 degrees, Boy, 22 months

ELLERBE, N.C. — A 22-month-old died Thursday after being left in a vehicle in Ellerbe at an unlicensed childcare facility. - https://www.wltx.com/article/news/cr...8-a55bc6600d2a

I don't know why I can't find any other articles or information about it.
I read about this one a few days ago.

I found several news links to the story.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Elle...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Cat Herder 07:38 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I read about this one a few days ago.

I found several news links to the story.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Elle...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thank you! My computer is being difficult. Claims it is "managed by your organization" and has me set to pediatric safe search. IDK, it is 12 years old. Probably time to upgrade. Nothing seems compatible. Programs keep deleting themselves. Ugh, technology and my ability to adapt are not progressing at the same rate.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 06-26-2020
Thank you! My computer is being difficult. Claims it is "managed by your organization" and has me set to pediatric safe search. IDK, it is 12 years old. Probably time to upgrade. Nothing seems compatible. Programs keep deleting themselves. Ugh, technology and my ability to adapt are not progressing at the same rate.
Totally get it....my hubby is having the same issue.
His (Windows Edge) updated a few days ago and it changed some of his favorites list and some of the settings he had and he is livid!

He keeps saying "What gives them the right to change my stuff?" I'm like "It's their stuff. We're just using it"

I am not really computer literate but I know enough to make things work and fix things I've messed up but he'll call me at work and say he can't find a site or something is weird on his computer and what should he do.

I do not use his computer so I don't know what he means by weird stuff and I certainly can't fix anything over the phone.

I feel like tech support for the cable company.. you know...I sound like I absolutely know what I am talking about but really have no idea!
Cat Herder 08:20 AM 06-26-2020
ELLERBE — New charges have been filed in the case of the toddler who died last week after being left in a car and more details have been made available about the events that lead to the child’s death.

"Dorothy Morgan Moore, 53, has been charged with one felony count of operating a unlicensed daycare facility, in addition to her charges of one felony count each of involuntary manslaughter and child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury. Moore was charged with these two felonies along with Paige Elizabeth Black, 24, last week.

This new charge added $10,000 to Moore’s secure bond, bringing the total to $40,000. She has since posted bond, according to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

The family of the deceased child, Nolan Lee Charles Powley, has started a GoFundMe to help support them, which can be found here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/pfa3c-justice-for-nolan.

“This is something that a mother should never have to go through. As you can imagine, no family is ever prepared for the death of a child. All donations are greatly appreciated,” reads the GoFundMe page. “Please continue to keep our family & friends in your prayers.”

Moore was operating a daycare called Dorothy’s Darlings in Ellerbe. There have been no previous complaints about this facility, according to Kelly Connor of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. The daycare is no longer operating.

“The Division of Child Development and Early Education is aware of an incident and is considering next steps,” Connor said in an email Tuesday morning. “DCDEE has not received previous complaints about this unlicensed child care program and has not had previous contact.”

The Ellerbe Rescue Squad and sheriff’s deputies responded to a report of an unresponsive child at a residence on Larry Parsons Road at about 3:10 p.m. on June 18. Moore and Black were at a home on the same road with 11 children and left around mid-day (one person told investigators they left between 12 p.m. and 12:20 p.m., while Black said they left this home at 1 p.m.) to head to the residence listed as belonging to Moore, court documents show.

Three of these children were related to Moore. Black told investigators that she was putting the children down for a nap at about 2 p.m. and realized that 22-month-old Nolan Lee Charles Powley was not with the group. She then went out to her car and found him unresponsive in the front seat of her car. They performed CPR on him while calling 9-1-1. Moore told investigators that the child had been in the car for about two hours.

Black said that Powley had been in the back seat when they were driving. A member of the Ellerbe Rescue Squad said that when they arrived on the scene, the child was soaked with sweat. Powley was transported to FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital – Richmond and pronounced deceased at 4:04 p.m.

Warrants for Moore’s arrest describe that she was operating a child care facility that would care for more than two children who were not related to her and under the age of 13 at least once per week, and did not have a license to do so." - https://www.yourdailyjournal.com/new...tarts-gofundme
Annalee 09:19 AM 06-26-2020
Totally get it....my hubby is having the same issue.
His (Windows Edge) updated a few days ago and it changed some of his favorites list and some of the settings he had and he is livid!

He keeps saying "What gives them the right to change my stuff?" I'm like "It's their stuff. We're just using it"

I am not really computer literate but I know enough to make things work and fix things I've messed up but he'll call me at work and say he can't find a site or something is weird on his computer and what should he do.

I do not use his computer so I don't know what he means by weird stuff and I certainly can't fix anything over the phone.

I feel like tech support for the cable company.. you know...I sound like I absolutely know what I am talking about but really have no idea!
windows 10 has updated and been a little crazy too. It is so "light" now and I have googled and find that others are complaining about the visual part being difficult. I don't like it!
AmyKidsCo 12:50 PM 06-26-2020
A 4-year-old boy died after he climbed into his family’s car without anyone noticing ...[/url]
Our son snuck into our car when he was 3 or 4. He woke up before the rest of us on a Saturday morning, unlocked both locks on the back door, went into the garage, and got into the car. Once he was in he couldn't open the door to get back out again. Luckily it was early spring in Wisconsin so it wasn't hot and we found him relatively quickly after realizing he wasn't in the house.
284878 09:23 PM 06-26-2020
So my DH came home last week and told me this story.
He trains new employees at his work. He was waiting for a new trainee because of all the covid rules he had to go outside to meet the trainee.
After performing the check in procedure, the trainee had to go back to his car. So my DH waited outside for him.
DH thought he saw someone moving in the car and the car seat in the back did not look empty. He took the trainee in to the room with the others and then excused himself. He went to HR to let them know what he may have seen.
Not too long later, HR pulled the trainee out and told him to take his kids home.
Josiegirl 03:33 AM 06-27-2020
I need to stop reading these. It doesn't make it go away but it's so heart-breaking to know it happens.

And 284878, your dh's company most likely saved a child's life. What are these people thinking??? This particular person KNEW his child was in that car. Just what the he!! was he thinking??? And because he was simply caught in the act(Thank GOD) can they press charges?

SMH
Cat Herder 11:33 AM 06-29-2020
6.) 6/26/2020- Springfield, VA, 86 degrees, Girl, 11 months old

"FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. — An 11-month-old Virginia girl died Friday, June 26 after her father “inadvertently” left her alone inside a car while he ran errands.

Fairfax County police and firefighters responded around 5 p.m. to a report of an unresponsive child inside a car. The girl was rushed to a hospital, where she later died.

Investigators determined the infant’s father “inadvertently” left her in the backseat of an SUV at their Springfield home for an “extended period of time” while he used a second car to run errands, police said.

“After returning home, he then drove the SUV to an in-home day care to pick up another child when he realized the 11-month-old was still in the back seat,” the police statement said." - https://fox6now.com/2020/06/28/polic...er-in-hot-car/
284878 08:25 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I need to stop reading these. It doesn't make it go away but it's so heart-breaking to know it happens.

And 284878, your dh's company most likely saved a child's life. What are these people thinking??? This particular person KNEW his child was in that car. Just what the he!! was he thinking??? And because he was simply caught in the act(Thank GOD) can they press charges?

SMH
I am glad that they sent him home but honestly I wished they had called CPS.
This guy left his kids in the car for a reason, most likely he couldn't find care for them, there is a small chance that he planned to leave early or some one was going to come pick them up. But there is a possibility that he was homeless. No matter the reason CPS should have been called to help him with his situation.
jenboo 08:49 AM 07-01-2020
6.) 6/26/2020- Springfield, VA, 86 degrees, Girl, 11 months old

"FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. — An 11-month-old Virginia girl died Friday, June 26 after her father “inadvertently” left her alone inside a car while he ran errands.

Fairfax County police and firefighters responded around 5 p.m. to a report of an unresponsive child inside a car. The girl was rushed to a hospital, where she later died.

Investigators determined the infant’s father “inadvertently” left her in the backseat of an SUV at their Springfield home for an “extended period of time” while he used a second car to run errands, police said.

“After returning home, he then drove the SUV to an in-home day care to pick up another child when he realized the 11-month-old was still in the back seat,” the police statement said." - https://fox6now.com/2020/06/28/polic...er-in-hot-car/
I'm in a Facebook group with this daycare provider. She is so shook up over it.
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm in a Facebook group with this daycare provider. She is so shook up over it.
I can't even imagine it. I hope she has a strong support circle.
Annalee 09:25 AM 07-01-2020
This thread weighs in my head with many confusing thoughts but I wonder sometimes if the communal way of living with grandparents, parents, siblings, uncles, aunts living together that with no one person to be in charge the kids just get forgotten. I have a family here that has 7 possible drop-off/ pick-up persons. To me, it was normal to always get my kids out of the car with me, but it's not normal for so many in today's times, not to mention the millennials that do good to make sure everyone is fed. Disclaimer: all millennials are not like this but, sadly, the ones I'm around are good kids but not really "with-it". I had to remind two families to get appointments for immunizations yesterday. They should know this on their own but they don't. But they don't miss a travel ball game time...LOL
Unregistered 12:22 PM 07-04-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
This thread weighs in my head with many confusing thoughts but I wonder sometimes if the communal way of living with grandparents, parents, siblings, uncles, aunts living together that with no one person to be in charge the kids just get forgotten. I have a family here that has 7 possible drop-off/ pick-up persons. To me, it was normal to always get my kids out of the car with me, but it's not normal for so many in today's times, not to mention the millennials that do good to make sure everyone is fed. Disclaimer: all millennials are not like this but, sadly, the ones I'm around are good kids but not really "with-it". I had to remind two families to get appointments for immunizations yesterday. They should know this on their own but they don't. But they don't miss a travel ball game time...LOL
I think it's an easy way to kill your kids. Years ago, you could get away with it. Sooooooooooooo many cars have features to prevent this. It's just too many factors to be innocent. Say you forgot your child, 50% you're guilty. Say your car has some feature that warn you, 75% chance of getting caught. It just gets further and further from there. I think we as Americans have to let go of this idea that all parent are good or trying. Some parents/families are bad.

I used to have a family that would forget to pick up due to have 20 adults living in the house. You know what? EVERYBODY remembered pick up after the first late fee.
Cat Herder 01:10 PM 07-06-2020
7.) 7/4/2020 Oklahoma City, OK 92 degrees, Girl 17 months

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Oklahoma City Police are investigating the death of a baby after the child was allegedly left in a hot car Saturday afternoon.

Police were called to the 3700 block of SW 40th Place just before 5:00 p.m.

Officials with Oklahoma City police tell KFOR a 17-month-old was found deceased inside a car.

A neighbor spoke to News 4 Sunday afternoon.

“It makes me feel sick,” Loretta Bell told KFOR. “I’ve got a two-year-old granddaughter and I cannot imagine what that lady’s going through.”

“The grandma came and told me yesterday after the police left that the mamma accidentally left her baby in the car and it died,” Bell said.

The temperature outside at the time was 92 degrees and the heat index had reached 100, according to the 4Warn Storm Team.

“They’re good people, they are. She was a good mamma,” Bell said. “Just a mistake, an accident. That’s all it was.”

“I pray to God that she gets through this,” she said.

The case remains under investigation.
https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...1cEeNZD69STXi8
Bell said the child’s mother is devastated and in shock." -
Cat Herder 11:45 AM 07-13-2020
8.) 7/8/2020 Fullerton, CA 84 degrees Boy 22 months

FULLERTON (CBSLA) — An infant died Wednesday after being left in a hot car in Fullerton, police said.

Officers were called to the scene at about 3:34 p.m. to the scene in the 400 block of West Wilshire Avenue. According to the Fullerton Police Department, the child was believed to have been left in a vehicle for an extended period of time and died as a result of the heat that built up inside the car.

The investigation was ongoing, but police said the believed the child’s death was an accident." - https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...liUj4XaRm6e2yE
Cat Herder 01:09 PM 07-15-2020
9.) 7/11/2020 Hopkinsville, KY 90 degrees Girl 3 yrs

"HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. (WZTV) — Hopkinsville Police are investigating the death of a 3-year-old girl who was found unresponsive inside a hot car over the weekend.

Police said the incident happened at the family's home along South Virginia Street on Saturday.

The mother reportedly noticed her daughter was missing, went looking for her and found her unresponsive in a vehicle. Right now, investigators believe the young girl got into the vehicle herself, but the investigation is ongoing. Emergency crews transported the girl to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.

No charges have been filed in this case." - https://fox17.com/news/local/3-year-...4L_UDSaQsQPVgU
Unregistered 06:12 AM 07-21-2020
Agree. Far to ridiculous of an "error" to forget the small human you created....but never your phone! A purse, keys, grocery list or lab slip, material things, YES! Americans put more importance on their cell phones and the things they want, and not their children or families. We are a selfish and entitled nation; look around at all the crap we are dealing with. Forgetting your kids is inexcusable. Ran a child care where I transported kids and never were the same kids with me every single day....never forgot them. Not in the car, not out of the car; not to pick up which kid from school/home/activity/field trip; or to drop them off. The schedule was crazy and often, different day to day. Never forgot. Why? Because they were my 1 and only priority! No matter what crazy whirlwind went on in my life, the kids were #1. Nothing else was more important. This is not the case with people anymore and it's disgusting, frankly.I remember a mother who enrolled her kid in an after school camp. She forgot she enrolled her! Flipped out when I didn't have the kid that day. I could get mixing up which activity and then gee if your kid is not with me bc it isn't my day, you should remember that she is at the ONLY other activity you signed her up for!

There are some people who don't deserve being parents.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think it's an easy way to kill your kids. Years ago, you could get away with it. Sooooooooooooo many cars have features to prevent this. It's just too many factors to be innocent. Say you forgot your child, 50% you're guilty. Say your car has some feature that warn you, 75% chance of getting caught. It just gets further and further from there. I think we as Americans have to let go of this idea that all parent are good or trying. Some parents/families are bad.

I used to have a family that would forget to pick up due to have 20 adults living in the house. You know what? EVERYBODY remembered pick up after the first late fee.

Cat Herder 09:37 AM 07-22-2020
10.) 7/18/2020 Wichita Falls, TX 96 Degrees, Boy 4 years old

"Police in Wichita Falls say a 4-year-old boy died after being found unresponsive in a vehicle.

Police say the boy was found in the vehicle Saturday evening in the driveway of a home. He was discovered in the vehicle after adults in the house noticed he was missing.

The child was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Temperatures in Wichita Falls reached the mid-90s on Saturday.

Police are investigating the death." - https://www.newschannel6now.com/2020...sive-car-dies/

11.) 7/20/2020 Booneville, AR 97 Degrees, Girl 3 years old

"A 3-year-old girl died and her 15-month-old sister was sent to the hospital after both were found in a hot car parked at their mother's home in Booneville Monday afternoon, according to Arkansas State Police.

The mother called police at about 2 p.m. saying that when she woke up from a nap, her kids were missing. A Booneville officer who responded found the children unconscious lying on the car's back floorboard.

Laykn Petchenik, 3, was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Her 15-month-old sister, Olivia, was brought to the hospital. She was in critical condition, according to police.

The temperature in Booneville between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. that day ranged between 92° and 97°.

Special agents with Arkansas State Police are leading the investigation." - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgdhp
Cat Herder 09:40 AM 07-28-2020
12) 7/22/2020 Farmers Branch, TX 94 Degrees Girl 2 years
13) 7/22/2020 Farmers Branch, TX 94 Degrees Girl 4 years

"The Texas mother found dead in her SUV with her two young daughters last week likely died of an overdose before the little girls subsequently perished due to heat stroke in the back of the vehicle.

Natalie Chambers, 31, was reported missing by family members to the Kaufman County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) late Wednesday afternoon after she and her two daughters, 4-year-old Izabel and 2-year-old Elise, never arrived at a scheduled playdate earlier in the day.

On Thursday, police tragically discovered all three dead in an SUV parked in a furniture store parking lot in Farmer’s Branch, about an hour’s drive from Forney where the family lived.

According to law officials and family members, the young mother, who had a history or drug and alcohol abuse and recent bouts of depression, likely died of an overdose. Her two young daughters likely died as a result of heat stroke after being left in their car seats for more than 24 hours during sweltering July temperatures." - https://knewz.com/mother-daughters-dead-suv/
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 07-29-2020
14) 7/28/2020 Chesapeake, VA 96 Degrees Girl 8 months

"CHESAPEAKE, Va. - A child has died after being left in a hot car on Tuesday.

Around 12:30 p.m. Chesapeake Police responded to a report of a child left in a vehicle.

When they got to the scene which was in the 900 block of Adventure Way, it was found that an 8-month-old female infant was left in an unoccupied vehicle for several hours.

Medics responded, provided first aid and transported the child to a local hospital where she was pronounced deceased, police said.

The incident is currently under investigation." - https://www.wtkr.com/news/infant-fou...es-at-hospital
Cat Herder 04:56 AM 08-12-2020
15) 8/9/2020 Hodges, AL 92 Degrees Boy 3 years old

"FRANKLIN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - Two Franklin County parents face criminal charges after their 3-year-old child was found dead in a hot car Sunday.

20-year-old Dakota Heath Fowler and 21-year-old Brandi Michelle Burks are both charged with manslaughter.

The pair told Franklin County Deputies that they put their 3-year-old boy to bed around midnight Saturday. When they awoke Sunday around 3 p.m. they found the boy in their car.

The Sheriff’s Office says they were called to respond around 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Emergency medical personnel tried to provide aid, but the child was already dead.

Franklin County Sheriff Shannon Oliver says the parents’ story doesn’t add up.

“It was reported that they put the child to bed at midnight and then they went to sleep and slept until 2 or 3:00 PM that day and you know that’s a long time for nobody to have any contact with that child,” said Oliver.

Sheriff Oliver says the parents told his deputies when they woke up, they couldn’t find their 3-year-old toddler, until they looked inside a vehicle parked outside of their apartment on Church Street in the town of Hodges, Alabama." - https://www.wsfa.com/2020/08/10/fran...-dead-hot-car/
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 08-12-2020
15) 8/9/2020 Hodges, AL 92 Degrees Boy 3 years old

"FRANKLIN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - Two Franklin County parents face criminal charges after their 3-year-old child was found dead in a hot car Sunday.

20-year-old Dakota Heath Fowler and 21-year-old Brandi Michelle Burks are both charged with manslaughter.

The pair told Franklin County Deputies that they put their 3-year-old boy to bed around midnight Saturday. When they awoke Sunday around 3 p.m. they found the boy in their car.

The Sheriff’s Office says they were called to respond around 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Emergency medical personnel tried to provide aid, but the child was already dead.

Franklin County Sheriff Shannon Oliver says the parents’ story doesn’t add up.

It was reported that they put the child to bed at midnight and then they went to sleep and slept until 2 or 3:00 PM that day and you know that’s a long time for nobody to have any contact with that child,” said Oliver.

Sheriff Oliver says the parents told his deputies when they woke up, they couldn’t find their 3-year-old toddler, until they looked inside a vehicle parked outside of their apartment on Church Street in the town of Hodges, Alabama." - https://www.wsfa.com/2020/08/10/fran...-dead-hot-car/
I read this in the news and can't get past that sleeping "schedule"
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 08-12-2020
I read this in the news and can't get past that sleeping "schedule"
Being from "down here", the meth problem has been kicked up HARD from the COVID shutdowns. They start as a way to "keep up" then they spin out, similar to cocaine in the 80's.

I lost my own cousin to it a month ago, she wanted to be the perfect wife and mother. Very active in the church. Chorus, craft fairs, sunday school, etc. No one had a clue. It was devastating.

I don't know this family's whole song, but I recognize the tune....
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 08-12-2020
Being from "down here", the meth problem has been kicked up HARD from the COVID shutdowns. They start as a way to "keep up" then they spin out, similar to cocaine in the 80's.

I lost my own cousin to it a month ago, she wanted to be the perfect wife and mother. Very active in the church. Chorus, craft fairs, sunday school, etc. No one had a clue. It was devastating.

I don't know this family's whole song, but I recognize the tune....
That is so sad.... It makes sense though. My heart just breaks for the poor kids that get caught up in such a tragic cycle.

I am sorry for your loss.
Cat Herder 12:59 PM 08-17-2020
16.) 8/15/2020 Montevallo, AL. 91 Degrees, Boy 1-year-old
17.) 8/15/2020 Montevallo, AL. 91 Degrees Boy 3 years

"MONTEVALLO – Two children were found deceased in a hot car at their family’s home off Alabama 25 on the afternoon of Saturday, Aug. 15.

The 1-year-old and 3-year-old brothers were playing when they accidentally locked themselves in the car at about 3 p.m., Shelby County Coroner Lina Evans said.

“They weren’t in the car that long,” Evans said. “It doesn’t take that long when it’s 135 degrees.”

A postmortem exam will be conducted in Montgomery to confirm the children’s deaths were heat-related, Evans said.

Evans and the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office are still investigating the case." - https://www.shelbycountyreporter.com...nd-in-hot-car/

18.) 8/15/2020 Vidor, TX. 99 Degrees Boy 4 years

ORANGE COUNTY, Texas — A 4-year-old boy was found dead in a car in Vidor Saturday night after reportedly being left in the vehicle for several hours.

"Orange County Sheriff's deputies found the child in the car about 8 p.m. Saturday, August 15, Detective Joshua Lockett said in a news release.

The car was parked outside the Donut Palace on North Main Street in the Pine Forest area. An autopsy has been ordered to find out exactly how the child died.

For now, no charges have been filed in the case. The Orange County Sheriff's Office and Child Protective Services are still investigating the case to determine exactly what happened.

"We will look at all the avenues, we will talk to the parents, we will talk to anybody that was in the area," he said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said it is not clear right now how the child ended up in the car. Lockett said it is important to think twice before exiting your vehicle." - https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...f-f948ec916dfe
Cat Herder 11:23 AM 08-18-2020
19.) 8/17/2020 Edmond, OK 92 Degrees Girl 3 years

"EDMOND, Okla. - Edmond police said a 3-year-old girl has died Monday after being left in a hot car for hours.
Authorities said the child was found by her father in a vehicle in the 300 block of W. Hurd St.

According to police, the 3-year-old was in the car for 4-6 hours.

Police said the child was taken emergency status to Children’s Hospital in Oklahoma City where she later died.

The investigation is ongoing." - https://www.news9.com/story/5f3b2142...-hospitalized-
Cat Herder 01:46 PM 08-31-2020
20.) 8/30/2020 Phoenix, AZ 101 Degrees, Girl 3 years

Phoenix police have arrested the mother of a 3-year-old girl who was found dead in a hot car Sunday afternoon.
Officers responded to a home near 35th Avenue and Thunderbird Road at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday for a report of a missing child, according to Phoenix Police Department Sgt. Mercedes Fortune

Police spoke with the mother, 23-year-old Tianna Jones, who told police she was unable to find her keys as they began to search the area for the girl.

When police searched Jones’ car, they found the child inside and unresponsive, the station reported. She was transported to the hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Jones told police she was out drinking and using drugs the night before and had picked her daughter up around 10:30 a.m. that morning from her mother’s home, authorities said.

Both of them were seen on the apartment complex’s cameras, according to court records, when they had arrived. They went into the apartment where they had a snack before both of them went to take a nap.

According to police, Jones said she had fallen asleep for about three hours when her daughter walked out of the home and made her way to the car and got inside where she was later found.

Police arrested Jones on child abuse charges. The cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner. The investigation is ongoing." - https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/to...rested-police/
Cat Herder 05:13 AM 09-03-2020
21.) 9/02/20 Panama City, Fl. Newborn

PANAMA CITY, Fla. — A newborn baby was found dead Wednesday inside a hot car in Florida, deputies said.

According to WJHG, the Bay County Sheriff’s Office said the incident occurred outside a home on Canal Avenue in Panama City. Authorities responded to a report of an infant in distress “and discovered a newborn had been left in a vehicle for possibly several hours,” the department said in a Facebook post.

Emergency crews tried to revive the baby but were unsuccessful, according to the post.

The Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the case, authorities said. No further information was immediately available. - https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/...F2TDBFTQUYCLE/
PB&J 02:44 PM 09-26-2020
https://fox4kc.com/news/woman-compla...ld-in-hot-car/

NOTE: This is from 2017...but we’ve certainly seen that these situations have not lessened.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 10-26-2020
22.) 9/11/2020 Pine Hills, FL 91 Degrees, Boy 1 year old

"The Orange County Sheriff’s Office stated that Jace Leslie was discovered unresponsive in a rear-facing car seat on Friday at 3:42 p.m. on 5705 Indian Hill Rd. after the baby was found.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office stated that it appears the baby was left inside a black Nissan Altima parked outside the home. In a Saturday morning updated news release, the Sheriff's Office added, "We want to be clear that there is no connection between baby Jace’s death and the home on Indian Hill Road."

According to the investigation, which is still ongoing, it appears that a caregiver was expected to drop off the baby at an Indian Hill Road location for daycare before going to work, however, the caregiver did not drop off the child.

The caregiver, who has not been named and no charges have been filed, came back to the "daycare location" on Friday afternoon and discovered Leslie unresponsive in the hot car, stated the Sheriff's Office.

Bystanders tried to give aid to the child before emergency responders arrived, but rescue officials determined that the baby had died, according to the Sheriff's Office.

"Detectives believe Jace died as a result of being inside the hot car for an extended period, but they must wait on the medical examiner’s office for an official cause of death," according to the news release.

During their investigation of the scene, deputies did tow away the car from the home.

Alton Williams, 18, and other neighbors say they believe a daycare center operates out of the home.

“When I was in my room, I was laying there and I heard screaming. And I came outside to see what it was 'cause I thought people were fighting, and I seen one of the workers. She was out there running around and screaming," Williams said. "And then there was a guy – he had came up to the car and took the kid out of the car, and then they went over there, like, by that tree. And I think they was trying to resuscitate the baby or something."

As of late Friday, Investigators had not said anyone had been charged with a crime in connection with the baby's death." - https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...hill-road-home

23.) 9/27/2020 Lafayette Parish, LA 89 Degrees, Boy 2 years

"A young mother is behind bars in Louisiana, accused of negligent homicide in the hot-car death of her 2-year-old son, according to local news outlets. Natalie Broussard was arrested on Monday, and is being held with no bond in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center. The Lafayette Parish Coroner's Office identified the deceased toddler as Ryatt Hensley.

Ryatt died from heatstroke, the autopsy confirmed. Ryatt was discovered inside a hot vehicle on Sunday afternoon. The reports fail to indicate how long Ryatt is believed to have been in the vehicle prior to being found. Police were called to Broussard's home in Duson on Sunday just before 2 p.m. She was charged with negligent homicide Monday, following a brief investigation into the boy's death." - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ar/ar-BB19C6GN

24.) 10/5/2020 Las Vegas, NV, 99Degrees, Girl 22 months

"Las Vegas, NV (KXNT) - A 27 year old man has been arrested on child abuse charges after his 22 month old daughter died in a hot car Monday afternoon.

According to Sidney Deal's arrest report, he flagged down a patrol unit near Owens and H Street and said he accidentally locked his keys in the car and left it running while the girl was inside. Deal says he thought he left the air conditioning running.

Deal’s brother said he wanted to break the car window to rescue the girls, but Sydney Deal refused because the car was new.

The report also details that Deal’s girlfriend told police that she spent 23 minutes on hold with a locksmith but that Deal didn’t like the price the locksmith gave so he denied the services and the amount of money the tow company he called would charge him was too expensive.

Deal was being held at the Clark County Detention Center on $20,000 bail. He is expected to appear in court Thursday." - https://kxnt.radio.com/articles/news...young-daughter
Tags:2020, hot car death, hot car death prevention, hot car deaths, transportation vehicles
Reply Up