Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do with Deposit?
jokalima 04:33 PM 10-02-2013
So my new baby, the one that had a very sad day yesterday, mom decided to keep her today, tomorrow she is not coming either. We agreed she'd take the rest of the week to think about it and come to a decision about what to do with day care. Here is the thing, I really like them but I do think is not time for them to do this, both of them are having a hard time with the DC thing and it's really hard to care for a baby that needs your full attention when you have other kids around.

I have the 1st week paid plus a 2 week deposit, she needs to give to weeks notice. She just started, only came one day and I don't know if I should charge for the rest of the week, I mean, I know by contract I do, but I just feel so bad for them. Also, would you keep the deposit? The truth is that I've been saving this spot for several months now, I've gotten calls and declined interviews because of this and money is tight right now, but again, I feel so bad for them. And I don't know if it would look bad from my part to keep the deposit?
TheGoodLife 04:41 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
The truth is that I've been saving this spot for several months now, I've gotten calls and declined interviews because of this and money is tight right now, but again, I feel so bad for them. And I don't know if it would look bad from my part to keep the deposit?
I would anyways, but given THIS I definitely would! It's a bad situation for them, but it's your business and your livelihood! Unless you have an "introduction" period of sorts I would keep the deposit. She could use those 2 weeks if she wanted, but since you have held that spot and lost out on other potential clients it would be unfair for you to have to lose out on that money as well. I had a very similar situation with a 6 month old who had been colicky (aka held all the time) and had only been with grandparents. Stayed 2 days, then left. They asked about the deposit at the time, and I said sorry, and they understood! Good luck- it's hard, but remember they are looking out for them and you need to look out for you and your family
Cradle2crayons 04:42 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
So my new baby, the one that had a very sad day yesterday, mom decided to keep her today, tomorrow she is not coming either. We agreed she'd take the rest of the week to think about it and come to a decision about what to do with day care. Here is the thing, I really like them but I do think is not time for them to do this, both of them are having a hard time with the DC thing and it's really hard to care for a baby that needs your full attention when you have other kids around.

I have the 1st week paid plus a 2 week deposit, she needs to give to weeks notice. She just started, only came one day and I don't know if I should charge for the rest of the week, I mean, I know by contract I do, but I just feel so bad for them. Also, would you keep the deposit? The truth is that I've been saving this spot for several months now, I've gotten calls and declined interviews because of this and money is tight right now, but again, I feel so bad for them. And I don't know if it would look bad from my part to keep the deposit?
I would keep this weeks money and the deposit.

They decided to keep her home, not the other way around. So they are responsible to pay for the week. And the deposit is just that, a deposit. You kept that spot for them.

Don't make their problems your problems.
Josiegirl 04:43 PM 10-02-2013
Technically you're entitled to that money but I'd feel badly like you do and probably return their deposit. I can be a sucker like that. Good luck with your decision.
What if this dcf tried starting very part-time? Such as leaving the baby for a couple hours like while she went shopping or cleaned house or something? She could ease into the whole dc experience slowly. But then that would be hard for you, financially. Never mind.
jokalima 04:52 PM 10-02-2013
That's how she started, part time, was here only during the morning hours, but it was hard for the poor baby and not to mention mom, she was devastated.
Leigh 05:35 PM 10-02-2013
I could understand returning the deposit, EXCEPT that you held the spot for them with their commitment to use your services. For this reason, I would ABSOLUTELY not refund the deposit-this family has cost you enough money as it is.
blandino 05:57 PM 10-02-2013
I would really try and talk to her, and tell her to take some more time in making her decision. Maybe 2-3 weeks, and then see how she feels. The first day can be horrible for mothers and children, and to judge a situation by such a small segment of time, isn't a fair representation.

Maybe come to an agreement that at the end of 2-3 weeks she can make a decision, and if she decides daycare isn't for her - them you could let her off with a 1 week notice (that's really just an example - but maybe some altered terms that seem fair to both parties).
MyAngels 06:10 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I could understand returning the deposit, EXCEPT that you held the spot for them with their commitment to use your services. For this reason, I would ABSOLUTELY not refund the deposit-this family has cost you enough money as it is.

The only exception for me would be if I was able to line up another family today that wanted to start tomorrow. So in other words, they wouldn't be getting their deposit back or a refund .

Once this mother made the decision to put her child in daycare it was up her to prepare both herself and her child mentally and emotionally for the daycare experience. It's not your fault she's a mess. As PP said, her problems are not your problems.
TwinKristi 07:05 PM 10-02-2013
I need to reword my contract to relay this. Reading it I can see how it may be confusing because i do offer a 2wk trial period where either can cancel with 24hrs notice BUT the deposit is to be used towards the first 2wks or care. If they don't come after the first day than what about the 2wks and the deposit? LOL it hasn't been an issue but I think it needs to be fixed after reading this.

Personally, since you held the spot for so long and turned people away and she's choosing to keep her home I would keep it. Some moms just aren't ready to do it and their anxiety rubs off on the baby as well. During times of high stress we produce different pheromones which can be received by others as well, especially babies who smell mom to connect in other ways than adults/children do. It's unfortunate but it's part of the business.
Tags:deposit
Reply Up