Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>children witnessing violence at daycare
Unregistered 01:02 PM 04-06-2015
Today, I had a guardian hit her niece (not just a slap, even, it was a hard hit) in front of my entire group. I was the only one to not witness it.

I've already reported.

My main question is how to address the parents of the other children. I was thinking something along the lines of, "Today, another guardian disciplined her child in a manner that required me to report it. Unfortunately, your children witnessed this. They may wish to discuss this with you, later."

Does this sound alright? What would you say?
Thriftylady 01:17 PM 04-06-2015
I am not sure that I would say anything. If a parent asked about it later, I would say it is confidential information.
Unregistered 01:24 PM 04-06-2015
I don't want their kindergartener coming home and talking about a kid getting punched by their guardian. I thought it would be best to say something, first.
But i wasnt sure, that's why I came here.
Thriftylady 01:30 PM 04-06-2015
I don't know it just sounds like no matter what it sounds bad. Hopefully someone else has a better idea.
Unregistered 01:35 PM 04-06-2015
It does sound bad. It is bad. It's my first time reporting. I at least stopped crying.
Other parent should be here in a few minutes.
Thriftylady 01:39 PM 04-06-2015
You say it was a niece that did this, does she usually pick up? If so have you notified the parent of that child? I don't envy you on this.
Unregistered 01:43 PM 04-06-2015
the aunt struck the niece. she's the guardian. messed up family situation.
spedmommy4 02:14 PM 04-06-2015
In your shoes I would say something. What you wrote sounded fine. Speaking as a parent, I would be very concerned if my child came home and said something before my provider. Further, sometimes when kids retell what happened, they add or leave out details. There is just too much risk in saying nothing. You did the right thing in the situation. Just let the parents know what happened, what you did to protect that child, and how you plan on preventing it from happening again. (eg: That individual isn't allowed to return)
Crystal 02:20 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Today, I had a guardian hit her niece (not just a slap, even, it was a hard hit) in front of my entire group. I was the only one to not witness it.

I've already reported.

My main question is how to address the parents of the other children. I was thinking something along the lines of, "Today, another guardian disciplined her child in a manner that required me to report it. Unfortunately, your children witnessed this. They may wish to discuss this with you, later."

Does this sound alright? What would you say?
Let me start by saying it is NOT okay for the child to have been hit by her guardian in any manner.

You say you were the only one to NOT witness it. If you did not witness it, are you certain the extent of which it was described to you is accurate? Children tend to perceive things differently than adults and what may have actually been a "smack" (again NOT okay) could have been perceived as a "punch" to the other children. Also, if you did not witness it, where were you when it happened? Usually the provider is present when someone drops off/picks up, or am I misreading and there was another adult present?
Unregistered 02:26 PM 04-06-2015
I didnt witness it with my eyes, because i had just turned around to speak to another child (because there were 5 children facing them, right behind me). I was standing about 3 feet away, and I heard it. it was an unmistakable sound, even though it was one I had never heard, before. It was not a slap. Im not sure if it was a closed fist or somewhere in between (ive never hit anyone. is there an in between? i digress..), but she most definitely hit her, and hard.
other dcd just left. he thanked me for letting him know. Thank you for the input. I hope i never need it, again.
Thriftylady 02:34 PM 04-06-2015
Wow. Well I hope it all works out for the best and you never have anything like this again.
Reply Up