Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Posting While During the Day
Annalee 08:57 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Here was the second regulation I posted re: electronics and social media.

the use of any type of device for social or entertainment purposes, listening to music on headphones, playing screen games, using the internet, or making personal calls by caregivers while supervising children is prohibited. Use of any device for brief and necessary communications or purposes directly related to the child care program, such as communication with parents or the Office and it's representatives is allowable.

-this includes rest time.
-this includes ANYTHING personal.

My registrar doesn't even agree with these, and wouldn't cite me if she saw me pick up a phone call from my kids school (what parent wouldn't?)

It is more to crack down on the providers with public facebook pages posting about facebook games ALL DAY. Providers talking on their phone to friends while doing childcare ALL DAY. Providers texting, playing screen games, on facebook, twitter, etc ALL DAY.

I answered an email from my sons teacher while the kids were eating breakfast. I was sitting next to them. Yes, it's a citable offense, but I would fight it, because it was BRIEF and NECESSARY.

The kids nap in my daycare room, and I bring my laptop in the room and sit facing all of them (screen faces away). My registrar has come in during nap, seen my headphones plugged in, this website and pinterest and my email up (I leave one earbud out) and not said a word.
I agree that social media is playing a part in the rules/regs. A center employee here had put on FB how kids were xxxxx and she hated working with them. Some parent of the center turned her in and she lost her job. I think common sense is the key to this rule and I feel most licensors will know if we abuse electronics but they will respect that we have to use these devices occasionally just to run our business.
Baby Beluga 09:19 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I agree that social media is playing a part in the rules/regs. A center employee here had put on FB how kids were xxxxx and she hated working with them. Some parent of the center turned her in and she lost her job. I think common sense is the key to this rule and I feel most licensors will know if we abuse electronics but they will respect that we have to use these devices occasionally just to run our business.
It truly has and many people don't know where to draw the line. I have a few previous co-workers who I am personal FB friends with. They work in centers and are constantly posting photos of the the children in their care on their personal FB page. As a parent I would go ballistic if I saw that.
Annalee 09:21 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
It truly has and many people don't know where to draw the line. I have a few previous co-workers who I am personal FB friends with. They work in centers and are constantly posting photos of the the children in their care on their personal FB page. As a parent I would go ballistic if I saw that.
Just like with anything else...COMMON SENSE plays a role in this......but too many today have NO COMMON SENSE
Baby Beluga 09:28 AM 06-03-2015
Just like with anything else...COMMON SENSE plays a role in this......but too many today have NO COMMON SENSE

Play Care 09:31 AM 06-03-2015
So true! It's not only providers who are getting into hot water over being online/social media.
Febby 05:14 PM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Every center I've ever worked at would fire employees for posting pictures of the children at the daycare on their personal FBs. Of course, they have to get caught for that to happen. I certainly have had my share of FB friends posting pictures of their daycare kids (sometimes while they're working!!). I always debate whether or not to give their employers a heads up about it.
Max 07:41 AM 10-17-2016
Originally Posted by Heidi:
There's also risk in doing ANYTHING other than sitting and literally watching the children every second. Doing dishes, throwing in laundry, attending to paperwork, watching TV during nap, reading a book.
Yes but a child being hurt while you were running to the bathroom, filling out a daily report, or doing a diaper change is a lot different than a child being hurt because you were unnecessarily distracted by your phone (I'm talking playing games or scrolling FB, not talking a call from your kid's school)... I get that accidents will happen but minimizing distractions would help minimize the chance of accidents.

Originally Posted by nannyde:
If it's unsafe for providers to be on their phones then it's unsafe for parents. Make laws for both and then we will talk.

The state isn't in the business of ensuring I'm never distracted or they would do inspections off hours. If it's ok for them to come in and tax my attention while I'm caring for kids then me being on my phone is ok. It's WAY less distracting to be on my phone than hosting parents or inspectors.
I don't agree with the first statement - I think watching up to 12 kids b/c it's your business is a lot different than watching your own 2-3 kids when you're at home. If that's not what you were implying then I apologize, that's just how I read it

I think it's somewhat comparable though, if a child is hurt at home or at daycare, they are likely going to ask what the caregiver/parent was doing (and they'll be more strict on the caregiver 10 times out of 10, which I don't agree with).

For the second statement, it's sort of like what I said above about minimizing distractions in order to minimize chance of accidents. Yes the state could help this by decreasing visits or lengths of their stay, but it's much more within your power to control how much you're distracted by being on your phone.

Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
whenever I check FB, almost all of my friends who work regular office jobs are online too. They are not just sitting at their desk all day crunching numbers...
I disagree as this being a valid reason... Being able to easily go on FB is usually a perk of having an office/desk job, but not all jobs have that. Every career choice has different perks. It wouldn't be fair for someone with a desk job to run home to receive a package and then compare it to a home DC provider being able to do this. (Also I bet if their boss noticed, they wouldn't be too happy!)

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It is more to crack down on the providers with public facebook pages posting about facebook games ALL DAY. Providers talking on their phone to friends while doing childcare ALL DAY. Providers texting, playing screen games, on facebook, twitter, etc ALL DAY.

The kids nap in my daycare room, and I bring my laptop in the room and sit facing all of them (screen faces away). My registrar has come in during nap, seen my headphones plugged in, this website and pinterest and my email up (I leave one earbud out) and not said a word.
I think this is a great post

Most of my responses were made with the first type of behavior in mind - someone who is online all. day. long. I had an experience like this with a provider when I was on the other side of the fence as a parent and it's a huge concern.. Playing on FB during naptime is one thing but constant posts/likes throughout the whole day, everyday, is another (and not posts related to DC).

What you described during nap time I think is totally fine.

There were an overwhelming amount of posts on this thread saying playing on your phone should be fine - and I think most seasoned providers are responsible enough to know how often and when to use their phone for leisure - but I didn't agree with a lot of the reasons why. Just my 2 cents I think it's personal judgment. If you KNOW you can safely balance this, then keep doing your thing!! But if you're always online throughout everyday, then maybe consider cutting back on how much time you spend

Side note - I know most of you are FAR more seasoned than I am so please know that reading this thread was really eye opening!!! In a good way At first I thought a provider being on FB for non DC things was ridiculous but now I realize it's not that big of a deal. Moderation is key
LostMyMarbles 10:58 AM 10-18-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Move it where? Sanitary rules state changing areas need to be next to running water... I don't have a garden hose in my living room and changing areas should NEVER be near food prep or eating areas so where does this presenter suggest it get moved too?

Making everyone sit next to the bathroom and wait while Baby Joey gets his diaper changed is ridiculous and in some states could be considered "confinement" as I don't know many kids under age 5 that would enjoy sitting next to the bathroom and waiting multiple times a day.

If I had 5 kids in diapers and changed them 5 times a day that is 25 diaper changes and if each diaper change took say 5 minutes, then my kids would spend a total of 2 hours and 5 minutes "waiting".

Then add in the amount of time I have to have them wait while my toilet trained kids all use the bathroom....they'd have to wait there too because I would have to be supervising the one using the bathroom....

The kids would pretty much spend all day waiting and not doing anything else.

At that rate, they might as well just go to work with their parent and sit in the corner with the i-pad for company... it seems like it would be more fun....and cheaper for the parents.

Thank goodness I don't live in your state.

Honestly, I am not trying to be rude but this presenter is a whack-a-doo and (you can tell her I said that too) because I challenge her to spend a single day doing what any of the providers on this board do WHILE observing her/his "suggestions".

He/She wouldn't make it until lunch time let alone nap.

If you paid for that class/training, I'd ask for my money back.

Well said. I want to ad, while that presenter is working our job, we can go at her with her "rules and suggestions" and see how she copes.

I am sitting at a table with three playing a game. Three in bed. Seriously, I think I can spend a few minutes on here. I CALL IT TRAINING.....or CONVERSING WITH COWORKERS.

OBVIOUSLY the original poster, who went unregistered, has an issue with it. That's cool. Don't use your phone, tablet, computer, etc.

My business, my rules. And like so many other posters, if licensing wants to start that crap, they can come rip my posted licensee off my wall. Oh wait, I will rip it down and throw it at them and tell them where they can shove it.

Further more, seriously? Are your free kin serious? This is a DAYCARE FORUM. IT IS NOT like anything immoral or kinkie, or drug or sex related. (How ever when i see Blackcat I do want to say meeeeowwwww)

Since the rest of you are confessing, my name is LostMyMarbles and I pee through out the day.ALONE.

Question to original posted, how are you going to handle your potty breaks? Because the kids, even outside the door, are alone. I assure you, it is going to be ok. Take a deep breath and relax.

Where is the dang spell check button on here?
midaycare 11:06 AM 10-18-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
Well said. I want to ad, while that presenter is working our job, we can go at her with her "rules and suggestions" and see how she copes.

I am sitting at a table with three playing a game. Three in bed. Seriously, I think I can spend a few minutes on here. I CALL IT TRAINING.....or CONVERSING WITH COWORKERS.

OBVIOUSLY the original poster, who went unregistered, has an issue with it. That's cool. Don't use your phone, tablet, computer, etc.

My business, my rules. And like so many other posters, if licensing wants to start that crap, they can come rip my posted licensee off my wall. Oh wait, I will rip it down and throw it at them and tell them where they can shove it.

Further more, seriously? Are your free kin serious? This is a DAYCARE FORUM. IT IS NOT like anything immoral or kinkie, or drug or sex related. (How ever when i see Blackcat I do want to say meeeeowwwww)

Since the rest of you are confessing, my name is LostMyMarbles and I pee through out the day.ALONE.

Question to original posted, how are you going to handle your potty breaks? Because the kids, even outside the door, are alone. I assure you, it is going to be ok. Take a deep breath and relax.

Where is the dang spell check button on here?
Hahahahaha! I, also, pee alone.
daycare 11:11 AM 10-18-2016
(How ever when i see Blackcat I do want to say meeeeowwwww)

I think I pee my pants only after reading that.....lol jk
Ariana 11:46 AM 10-18-2016
I worked in a centre where the women would come in with hot coffee in the morning and supervise the kids with these huge cups in their hands. In my opinion it was totally unprofessional but no one said anything.
Tags:2015, distractions during daycare, safety issues, unrealistic expectations
1 2
Reply Up