Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>My Own Child as Employee and Taxes Question
Unregistered 07:26 AM 03-14-2016
How do I go about having my child claim the income for working in my child care on her taxes? Do I have to do a W2 or 1099 Misc for her to show on her taxes she worked for me? My child is 17 and made about $2,500 helping and working for me last year. I am going to claim it as a expense on my taxes since I did pay her. How do I go about having her claim this income? Thank you for any advise!
TomCopeland 07:51 AM 03-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do I go about having my child claim the income for working in my child care on her taxes? Do I have to do a W2 or 1099 Misc for her to show on her taxes she worked for me? My child is 17 and made about $2,500 helping and working for me last year. I am going to claim it as a expense on my taxes since I did pay her. How do I go about having her claim this income? Thank you for any advise!
Since she is under age 18 and did not earn more than $6,300,your child doesn't have to report her income. You should keep proper records to show that you paid her. See my article on this: http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-hi...n-under-age-18
Unregistered 08:09 AM 03-14-2016
Tom Thank you for responding and providing the link. My concern is she made around $3,600 out side the home working at a job and received a W2 for that and then $2400 working in my child care. She plans to file taxes as a dependent of another in order to get her tax refund. Does she need to include the daycare income I paid her when she files taxes since I will be claiming it on my taxes as a business expense? I am unsure if I need to provide her some time of form for this or if it will be okay. I just want to make sure we do it right. Thank you
TomCopeland 10:46 AM 03-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Tom Thank you for responding and providing the link. My concern is she made around $3,600 out side the home working at a job and received a W2 for that and then $2400 working in my child care. She plans to file taxes as a dependent of another in order to get her tax refund. Does she need to include the daycare income I paid her when she files taxes since I will be claiming it on my taxes as a business expense? I am unsure if I need to provide her some time of form for this or if it will be okay. I just want to make sure we do it right. Thank you
Since she got a W-2 she should file a tax return and report all the income she earned, including from you. She may or may not owe any taxes, depending on how much she earned.
Tags:provider children hired, tom copeland
Reply Up