Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mixed Ages Set Up
Missjaime 08:48 AM 05-26-2017
Hi all! In my in-home setting, I have up until now only had kids over the age of 1 who can walk. I was not really planning on taking babies, but I have a wonderful client who has their older girl (2yo) with me and are hoping to send the baby (currently 5 months) to me when a space opens up in September. I want to take the baby and am willing to change up my room to accommodate a non-walker. Those of you who have babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, how do you divide up the space? How do you assure that your walkers are away from or careful of the non-walkers? I am a small license, I will only have up to 6 kids and I do have a small space to start with. Any ideas?

Thanks!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:39 AM 05-26-2017
I have had various set ups to accommodate babies over the years depending on how many I have. Right now since I have walking 1 yr old 9 month old in the playroom everything that is in there is ok for them to get a hold of. My big kids have a vet office set up but everything is safe for the littles. If I want to give my 3/5 yr olds something not safe for under 3, I put them in the kitchen or I put them in the "baby cage" aka play yard with those items. I have had babies in the "baby cage" up until they are walking if that is the safest. The funny thing is, if I put out new "baby toys" my 3 and 5 yr old are the first to want to play with them!! Stacking cups are always out and get played with by everyone! Mega blocks- fun for all. You get the idea. Usually the small stuff is in a sensory bin and right now I have been doing sensory trays at the table for my older ones. Stickers, play doh etc all at the table. My breakfast nook and playroom are attached so gating off is easy and I can still see both.
Jupadia 10:11 AM 05-26-2017
I've only had 1 non walker (my own). But I invested in a superyard (with extra pices) for him. It worked great for alowing him to play and keep him safe. At the same time he could see through, and be on the same level as the other kids. It gave him lots of room to play. Now that he is 17 months he has stoped using it and my oldest (4 years) dose floor puzzles and small toys in it.
Reply Up