Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Did Something Not Quite So "Professional"
MrsB 11:08 AM 02-29-2012
So pitterpatters bread story made me think of a few stories of my own.

One time a DCM kept pulling and backing up on our grass. Keep in mind our drive way is 3 cars wide and we park in our garage so she has plenty of room to pull in and out. My hubby would ask her nicely to not drive on the grass multiple times a week or ask her to park on the street if she was having trouble. We put up twine and sticks on the edge so she could see where the line was, still ran over the grass.

One day DCM comes for pick up and says "I got a screw in my tire and had to miss my lunch to get it fixed. I think I got it from your house"
Me baffled said "what makes you think that" She said "come take a look" (My hubby was wrestling with some of the daycare kids in the front yard) So I go out and she points on the edge of the grass. There are about 12 screws in the grass. I looked up at my husband and he gave me an evil grin. So I responded "hmmm, must have been one of the boys working on the bikes or scooter. Good thing they are in the grass and not the driveway. Otherwise everyone else would have flats too." My hubby then says from across the yard "thats the bummer thing about driving through grass, you can't see what your running over"

I was pretty upset at him, but couldn't help it but chuckle at the same time. Oh by the way, never had a problem with her driving on the grass again. Although one time she was backing out and ran her car along side our mailbox. The mailbox was fine, but the side of her nice new Ford Expedition didnt look so nice.
WImom 11:17 AM 02-29-2012
That is way too funny!!
saved4always 11:20 AM 02-29-2012
That is very funny!!!!
bunnyslippers 11:25 AM 02-29-2012
I just may have to steal this idea! We have a family here that has been destroying our yard for years - even gone so far as to run over the stakes we put up. Maybe this would stop it once and for all...
Cat Herder 11:37 AM 02-29-2012
I your DH.

Too funny!!!
wdmmom 11:43 AM 02-29-2012
That's classic!

I posted last Friday that DCB kicked my dog 3 minutes before getting picked up. After I told DCD and got the response, "thanks for telling me", I slammed the door on him.

At that point I really couldn't have cared less if the came back or left for good. Still don't, to be completely honest!

I know it wasn't professional but at the same time if parents can't be respectful of my property, I don't need to be respectful to them. PERIOD!
Small Town Provider 11:49 AM 02-29-2012
I once left a dcks diarrhea covered clothes in a plastic bag on my porch in the middle of summer just to spite the parents because they were pulling her from my care because I charged them a $5 late fee. I knew that by the time they came to pick up her stuff the stuff in the bag would be horribly gross.
saved4always 11:53 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Small Town Provider:
I once left a dcks diarrhea covered clothes in a plastic bag on my porch in the middle of summer just to spite the parents because they were pulling her from my care because I charged them a $5 late fee. I knew that by the time they came to pick up her stuff the stuff in the bag would be horribly gross.
Nice!!!!!
Unregistered 12:14 PM 02-29-2012
I had a wonderful kindergarten boy who came her p/t years ago. Only problem was he had horrible horrible parents. I won't waste oxygen going into "all" the details, but it all started when one night I stupidly answered my phone and it was his mother lecturing me on how he didn't like the mac n cheese I made him. Seems I made it too runny, so she went on and on and she ended the conversation telling me her son tells her "everything".

Basically she was threatening me, and he was treated very well and loved coming to my home.
Things just got worse, seems he shared his pop tarts and lunchable he brought with the other child, and I heard she didn't like that either. After some more incidents, they gave notice; but before their last day it was picture day at his school. She had the nerve to ask me to comb his hair real nice before he left my house.

Lets just say I gave him a very trendy hair style, kid was styling for his picture, and by the time they received the pictures they were long gone from my house. I was able to see
the group one, and to this day its a funny happy hour story!
countrymom 12:29 PM 02-29-2012
omg I want to see that picture. This is so funny.
SunshineMama 12:54 PM 02-29-2012
I Love it!

What a great idea!
saved4always 04:53 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
omg I want to see that picture. This is so funny.
Me, too!!!!! Very funny!!!!
Childminder 05:05 PM 02-29-2012
We keep having problems with parents leaving their cars running in the drive during pick up. They have been told MULTIPLE times not to and not just cause of the gas $$ they waste. My nephew at 3 drove his dad's, my brother's, truck off a cliff 20+ years ago cause he was just running in to pick up something quick from our mom. Needless to say it makes me VERY nervous.

One day my DH was outside and dcm was in our house for over 30 minutes with it running. DH drove it around behind our house and parked it. She has not done it since.
daycare 05:19 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
We keep having problems with parents leaving their cars running in the drive during pick up. They have been told MULTIPLE times not to and not just cause of the gas $$ they waste. My nephew at 3 drove his dad's, my brother's, truck off a cliff 20+ years ago cause he was just running in to pick up something quick from our mom. Needless to say it makes me VERY nervous.

One day my DH was outside and dcm was in our house for over 30 minutes with it running. DH drove it around behind our house and parked it. She has not done it since.
lol that is funny that your DH did that.

I don't know why parents do that. A few months back a stupid parent went to go pick up their child at one of the local preschool centers, left her 7 month old in the car with the car running. Her car was stolen with baby in the car.

The baby and car were both found safe and sound 6 hours later on the side of the freeway.....So scary and sad.

I have had a few parents do that here despite my request and they didnt listen until this happened
Greenplasticwateringcans 05:52 PM 02-29-2012
I had a parent leave their engine running and the DCK climbed into the front seat and reved the engine! Scary!!!!!
countrymom 06:35 PM 02-29-2012
i had one today decide to play with all her signals, till he saw me (he's afraid of me but not his mom) man did he jump in his carseat quick.
momofboys 07:30 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by Small Town Provider:
LOL - but really would you have wanted to clean it up? There is no way I would clean up diarehha clothes - even with my own kids I'd be tempted to pitch them
Kaddidle Care 04:11 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
So pitterpatters bread story made me think of a few stories of my own.

One time a DCM kept pulling and backing up on our grass. Keep in mind our drive way is 3 cars wide and we park in our garage so she has plenty of room to pull in and out. My hubby would ask her nicely to not drive on the grass multiple times a week or ask her to park on the street if she was having trouble. We put up twine and sticks on the edge so she could see where the line was, still ran over the grass.

One day DCM comes for pick up and says "I got a screw in my tire and had to miss my lunch to get it fixed. I think I got it from your house"
Me baffled said "what makes you think that" She said "come take a look" (My hubby was wrestling with some of the daycare kids in the front yard) So I go out and she points on the edge of the grass. There are about 12 screws in the grass. I looked up at my husband and he gave me an evil grin. So I responded "hmmm, must have been one of the boys working on the bikes or scooter. Good thing they are in the grass and not the driveway. Otherwise everyone else would have flats too." My hubby then says from across the yard "thats the bummer thing about driving through grass, you can't see what your running over"

I was pretty upset at him, but couldn't help it but chuckle at the same time. Oh by the way, never had a problem with her driving on the grass again. Although one time she was backing out and ran her car along side our mailbox. The mailbox was fine, but the side of her nice new Ford Expedition didnt look so nice.
That is awesome! You two are quite the unified team!
Countrygal 01:50 PM 03-01-2012
Those stories are just awesome!! ROFLMHO!!!!!
CheekyChick 02:28 PM 03-01-2012
Your husband is an evil genius.
JenNJ 02:34 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
How terrible! Did he survive?
gbcc 03:03 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
How terrible! Did he survive?
I hope so, I was wondering the same thing
Childminder 04:45 PM 03-01-2012
Yes, he was fine. The truck caught on the fence and just kind of hung there till my dad got the backhoe and pulled him back. Lots of stinky unders to be certain! LOL Nephew now has a son that is giving him fits. What goes around...
gbcc 04:24 AM 03-02-2012
I think the worst thing I did was lock a parent out. I had a family that would never come on time. I opened at 7:00 but they requested to come at 6am. So I agreed as I needed the money. Well they never came at 6 They wouldn't show up until around 8am half the time. After about a month of getting up over an hour early (Yes, it took a month before I said something) I finally told them that if they weren't going to be there early then I would appreciate a phone call before 9pm the night before. I explained that I would really appreciate to sleep in if I could. They said ok but the following Monday showed up at 8:30am

So the next day I started sleeping in until I knew the first child would be there. That happened to be the day that they showed up at 6am. I locked the doors, turned off my ringer and enjoyed the sleep When I woke up I called her and she said she knocked on my door for over ten minutes and called me. I said oh, sorry as my room is upstairs I can never hear the door and I turn my ringer off at night The best part was that there happened to be a downpour that morning! They made sure to call me everynight after that to let me know they would be late.
MrsB 07:48 AM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I think the worst thing I did was lock a parent out. I had a family that would never come on time. I opened at 7:00 but they requested to come at 6am. So I agreed as I needed the money. Well they never came at 6 They wouldn't show up until around 8am half the time. After about a month of getting up over an hour early (Yes, it took a month before I said something) I finally told them that if they weren't going to be there early then I would appreciate a phone call before 9pm the night before. I explained that I would really appreciate to sleep in if I could. They said ok but the following Monday showed up at 8:30am

So the next day I started sleeping in until I knew the first child would be there. That happened to be the day that they showed up at 6am. I locked the doors, turned off my ringer and enjoyed the sleep When I woke up I called her and she said she knocked on my door for over ten minutes and called me. I said oh, sorry as my room is upstairs I can never hear the door and I turn my ringer off at night The best part was that there happened to be a downpour that morning! They made sure to call me everynight after that to let me know they would be late.

kayla 07:53 AM 03-02-2012
Ok mine is really bad... And I will probably get an online spanking... One day after days and days of a dcb being very mean to dcg(pushing slapping throwing stuff at her), we were outside playing in the snow he literally walked up to her with a pile of snow and smashed it in her face... she started crying so i picked up a snow ball and threw it at him.. got him right in the face... I felt bad and knew i should not have i was just so sick to my stomach nothing worked with this kid.... I know im gonna get screamed at for this.. But that was my non proffesional move... oh by the way he quit being so mean to dcg...

Ok im ready... everyone spank me..
Breezy 08:49 AM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
Ok mine is really bad... And I will probably get an online spanking... One day after days and days of a dcb being very mean to dcg(pushing slapping throwing stuff at her), we were outside playing in the snow he literally walked up to her with a pile of snow and smashed it in her face... she started crying so i picked up a snow ball and threw it at him.. got him right in the face... I felt bad and knew i should not have i was just so sick to my stomach nothing worked with this kid.... I know im gonna get screamed at for this.. But that was my non proffesional move... oh by the way he quit being so mean to dcg...

Ok im ready... everyone spank me..
I think occasionally kids need a taste of their own medicine. You can say to them "how would you feel if someone did that to you" til youre blue in the face but you can bet rhwy wont get it. I think a snowball is pretty innocent (im obviously not condoning purposely HURTING a child to get the point across-not that what you did was that way at all, IYKWIM?)
MarinaVanessa 09:17 AM 03-02-2012
I had a DCM that NEVER came on time. I had a 15 minute grace policy but once 6pm came around if you arrived after that, you were late. No exceptions. Still she came late ALL the time. 6:05, 6:15, 6:20 etc. I charged her of course but she had no problen paying the late fee. Finally I got tired of it and at exactly 6pm I'd pack up my kids and DCB in the car and took off somewhere to do errands. I'd do any errand that was the farthest from my home as possible.

Eventually I'd get a phone call from DCM asking where I was. "Oh I'm at (store that's in the next town over)." She'd either have to drive over to where I was or wait until I got home to get DCB. I'd charge her of course until the exact time that her son was out of my care so instead of waiting for me she would drive to my location.

When I was feeling especially evil I'd stop answering my phone when she arrived at the store so she'd have to walk around and look for me. I'd spot her a few aisles down and jet down the next aisle, run a few aisles down and hide from her until she'd finally find me.

"Oops. My phone's on vibrate and in my purse. Oh look at that. You called me 13 times. You've been in the store looking for me for 15 minutes? So sorry, that'll be $45 in late fees".

Unfortuanately it took several times before she got the hint but finally it worked and she was never late again.
DCBlessings27 09:36 AM 03-02-2012
DCD of my 2 pt kids I had when I started would NEVER pick up on time. Parents had one excuse after another about how DCD always runs late and gets so distracted. The rest of the kids got picked up at 5:30, but I sometimes had the these 2 dcks until 6:30. Dcb was biggest pain in neck--hitting, kicking, biting, mean 2yo. I was only getting $100/week for these 2 to come all day for 2 days/week. I emailed countless times to say that they needed to pickup on time, so they finally hired a neighbor to get the kids and stay with them til parents were home. Since I was new to the business, I didn't have late fees in contract. One day though--I'd had ENOUGH of this family. The dcb wouldn't listen and was being awful--I called dcd at 9am Tuesday and said that's it YOU'RE FIRED. Come get your kids. It took him until noon, which made me doubly mad. I had their belongings in bags and handed them to him with the kids. I didn't want to deal with them anymore, so I even wrote them a check for the $50 that they had prepaid for Thursday.

Not my most professional day, but I've never regretted my decision to fire them immediately.
countrymom 09:42 AM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I think occasionally kids need a taste of their own medicine. You can say to them "how would you feel if someone did that to you" til youre blue in the face but you can bet rhwy wont get it. I think a snowball is pretty innocent (im obviously not condoning purposely HURTING a child to get the point across-not that what you did was that way at all, IYKWIM?)
I totally agree, I had a kid who would pull the other kids hair, and one day I let the other kids go at him, he never did it again, esp at the age of 3.
countrymom 09:47 AM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had a DCM that NEVER came on time. I had a 15 minute grace policy but once 6pm came around if you arrived after that, you were late. No exceptions. Still she came late ALL the time. 6:05, 6:15, 6:20 etc. I charged her of course but she had no problen paying the late fee. Finally I got tired of it and at exactly 6pm I'd pack up my kids and DCB in the car and took off somewhere to do errands. I'd do any errand that was the farthest from my home as possible.

Eventually I'd get a phone call from DCM asking where I was. "Oh I'm at (store that's in the next town over)." She'd either have to drive over to where I was or wait until I got home to get DCB. I'd charge her of course until the exact time that her son was out of my care so instead of waiting for me she would drive to my location.

When I was feeling especially evil I'd stop answering my phone when she arrived at the store so she'd have to walk around and look for me. I'd spot her a few aisles down and jet down the next aisle, run a few aisles down and hide from her until she'd finally find me.

"Oops. My phone's on vibrate and in my purse. Oh look at that. You called me 13 times. You've been in the store looking for me for 15 minutes? So sorry, that'll be $45 in late fees".

Unfortuanately it took several times before she got the hint but finally it worked and she was never late again.
omg that is so funny, sadly I have packed the kids up before too and made them come find me. I had a dad who came home everyday at 330pm and park his car in the garage to hide from me (but dh would spot him) he wouldn't pick up till 430pm so I would have to get the older child off the bus, and have his sister. So one day I had to get my kid from school and it was already 430pm and he wasn't here (they live 10 houses from me) so I pack up the kids and left, the neighbour saw me leave and told him I flew out of my driveway (which I didn't appreciate it because i didn't) he had to come to the school and get them, he never did it again. Oh he was home reading his emails.
Tags:parents - are clueless
Reply Up