Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ASD Interview
KnoxMom 09:56 AM 06-04-2013
So, I have an interview scheduled for a 5 year old boy who recently received an ASD diagnosis. Unsure of where he falls on the spectrum, but parents have described him as non-violent, non-verbal, and self absorbed. Apparently he has functioned in other centers by communicating via PECS but he is often over-looked because he is so laid-back. The issue isn't him being to much of a handful, it is the exact opposite. Since he can be content with a single toy for hours, he often is in the corner doing the same thing all day and left out of group activities. At the centers, they don't have time to make sure he is involved in anything else. Although he can be disinterested in many of the activities, Mom and Dad want him somewhere he can get a bit more individualized attention and have more time spent working with his sensory and social development. I do not specialize in special needs/right care (I've already explained this to the parents), but I know I'd be up for the task if given the chance. I've been reading every book I can get my hands on to really understand what it means to be ASD and what I can do to help. I suppose all I'm asking is for advice, recommendations and tips on how to interact with him during the interview since he is so unresponsive, what concerns an ASD parent may have and how I can best address them. I'd also appreciate advice/resources on the best toys and tools to use, best practices and maybe even your favorite activities to help with sensory and social skills. I really want to provide a second home for him and I just want to make sure I have all the information necessary to provide him the care he deserves until he enters kindergarten and can get an IEP. I'm hoping for feedback from a parent dealing with this so I can understand what the expectations are and what you'd be looking for in a provider but ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!!
Cradle2crayons 10:13 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
So, I have an interview scheduled for a 5 year old boy who recently received an ASD diagnosis. Unsure of where he falls on the spectrum, but parents have described him as non-violent, non-verbal, and self absorbed. Apparently he has functioned in other centers by communicating via PECS but he is often over-looked because he is so laid-back. The issue isn't him being to much of a handful, it is the exact opposite. Since he can be content with a single toy for hours, he often is in the corner doing the same thing all day and left out of group activities. At the centers, they don't have time to make sure he is involved in anything else. Although he can be disinterested in many of the activities, Mom and Dad want him somewhere he can get a bit more individualized attention and have more time spent working with his sensory and social development. I do not specialize in special needs/right care, but I know I'd be up for the task if they give me the chance. I have a I've been reading every book I can get my hands on to really understand what it means to be ASD and what I can do to help. I suppose all I'm asking is for advice, recommendations and tips on how to interact with him during the interview since he is so unresponsive, what concerns an ASD parent may have and how I can best address them. I really want to provide a second home for him and I just want to make sure I have all the information necessary to provide him the care he deserves until he enters kindergarten and can get an IEP. I'm hoping for feedback from a parent dealing with this so I can understand what the expectations are and what you'd be looking for in a provider but ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!!

I'd gather a game plan at the interview. Ask mom what SHE expects out of you and the environment at your house.

Mom is right, group care CAN be very beneficial for kids with psych diagnoses because it does really help them to transition to a school environment.

I think talking with mom will either give you the peace of mind that you can deliver her expectations, OR you will know if its not something you can provide.

For me, as a parent, I would want to know HOW you can engage him in a group.

For instance, y'all are going to be playing play dough, what if he won't come to the table. What if he sits there and won't play with the Dough??

For me, I'd want my child to be treated in a lot of ways, just like the average child. Of course, with understanding of him personally. But I don't want my child given special just because of her abbreviations.
Willow 11:04 AM 06-04-2013
While I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to help this family, try your best to remain realistic too.

If I were you I'd put a trial period in place. While group care can be a nice transition into a school setting someday it can also be a complete nightmare. Some children simply can't handle it. Remember that's nothing you can fix and if it doesn't work out that's not your fault.

As far as interacting with him directly goes I'd point blank ask mom those questions since each child's experience with the diagnosis can vary significantly.
daycarediva 11:17 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I'd gather a game plan at the interview. Ask mom what SHE expects out of you and the environment at your house.

Mom is right, group care CAN be very beneficial for kids with psych diagnoses because it does really help them to transition to a school environment.

I think talking with mom will either give you the peace of mind that you can deliver her expectations, OR you will know if its not something you can provide.

For instance, y'all are going to be playing play dough, what if he won't come to the table. What if he sits there and won't play with the Dough??

For me, I'd want my child to be treated in a lot of ways, just like the average child. Of course, with understanding of him personally. But I don't want my child given special just because of her abbreviations.
This!

Be honest with Mom. "I have no experience, but I would like to work with you and your son to help him. What are your expectations of me?"

ASD kids usually have specific, focused interests. My ds has been OBSESSED with the NFL, Mario, and old B&W Godzilla movies for.ev.er. Most kids go through phases with interests, not my kid. He knows the current and former rosters of every team. Stats of players, how many people can be seated in each stadium. He is also very into music and can memorize the notes in songs and play/repeat them back days/weeks/months or years later.

To be honest, this sounds like my son. He was nonviolent, non verbal and in a world of his own at that age. He is still non violent and about halfway in a world of his own, only now he won't.shut.up. (yay!)

It sounds like Mom sees him being allowed to constantly retreat away from the group as detrimental to him, and she is right. Depending on where he falls on the spectrum, there are special challenges. My ds has sensory issues. I cannot put applesauce ON his plate or he will start gagging. I can't put a shirt on him with a tag (or a cut off tag) socks MUST be inside out, only ultra low cut. His social interactions are still limited, and he needed a LOT of therapy to understand that people aren't inanimate objects, that they have feelings and can be hurt physically/emotionally.

PECS are easy. I recommend a picture schedule (you can print and laminate them easily enough, I used Velcro on the backs to make mine removable) "see dcb, right now it is breakfast time. After that comes story time (point to picture of a book) and then outside time..." this is also how I potty trained ds.

Here is what I would want to know from Mom
What he hates-food, clothes, activities, certain noises. I had to term a sweet DCG because her voice put ds into screaming mode when he was younger.
What he likes-same
What he CAN do-most kids with ASD are physically on par/above. DS excels in sports and escape artistry
Does he run away? How well does he understand safety concerns, like staying with an adult?
What does he act like when he is sick? tired? it's usually not 'typical' in asd kids. My ds gets hyper when sleepy and doesn't change a THING when sick. You literally have to take his temp or you wouldn't know.

I had an AMAZING former provider who went above and beyond for me and ds. I still give her referrals for people looking for childcare in that area. She allowed me to bring his food in, even though he didn't have allergies or dietary concerns. She allowed ds to nap in a separate room with the CD I provided (poor lady, ds loves 80's rock), she allowed him to have bad days, say NO to her and play with modeling clay for hours. She allowed therapists in and out of her home since therapy was VERY inflexible around my work schedule. Can you say SAINT? I don't know WHAT I would have done without her.
Cradle2crayons 11:37 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This!

Be honest with Mom. "I have no experience, but I would like to work with you and your son to help him. What are your expectations of me?"

ASD kids usually have specific, focused interests. My ds has been OBSESSED with the NFL, Mario, and old B&W Godzilla movies for.ev.er. Most kids go through phases with interests, not my kid. He knows the current and former rosters of every team. Stats of players, how many people can be seated in each stadium. He is also very into music and can memorize the notes in songs and play/repeat them back days/weeks/months or years later.

To be honest, this sounds like my son. He was nonviolent, non verbal and in a world of his own at that age. He is still non violent and about halfway in a world of his own, only now he won't.shut.up. (yay!)

It sounds like Mom sees him being allowed to constantly retreat away from the group as detrimental to him, and she is right. Depending on where he falls on the spectrum, there are special challenges. My ds has sensory issues. I cannot put applesauce ON his plate or he will start gagging. I can't put a shirt on him with a tag (or a cut off tag) socks MUST be inside out, only ultra low cut. His social interactions are still limited, and he needed a LOT of therapy to understand that people aren't inanimate objects, that they have feelings and can be hurt physically/emotionally.

PECS are easy. I recommend a picture schedule (you can print and laminate them easily enough, I used Velcro on the backs to make mine removable) "see dcb, right now it is breakfast time. After that comes story time (point to picture of a book) and then outside time..." this is also how I potty trained ds.

Here is what I would want to know from Mom
What he hates-food, clothes, activities, certain noises. I had to term a sweet DCG because her voice put ds into screaming mode when he was younger.
What he likes-same
What he CAN do-most kids with ASD are physically on par/above. DS excels in sports and escape artistry
Does he run away? How well does he understand safety concerns, like staying with an adult?
What does he act like when he is sick? tired? it's usually not 'typical' in asd kids. My ds gets hyper when sleepy and doesn't change a THING when sick. You literally have to take his temp or you wouldn't know.

I had an AMAZING former provider who went above and beyond for me and ds. I still give her referrals for people looking for childcare in that area. She allowed me to bring his food in, even though he didn't have allergies or dietary concerns. She allowed ds to nap in a separate room with the CD I provided (poor lady, ds loves 80's rock), she allowed him to have bad days, say NO to her and play with modeling clay for hours. She allowed therapists in and out of her home since therapy was VERY inflexible around my work schedule. Can you say SAINT? I don't know WHAT I would have done without her.
Your son and my daughter are twins separated at birth lol. When we hit the bra phase, it was a disaster. This bra wasn't tactless, this one had bothersome shoulder straps. This underwear doesn't fit right, they bother me. These socks are the wrong kind.... Oh. My. Gosh. When puberty happens here soon, I may crawl under a rock lol. Shaving was enough of a disaster.

Her obsession is horses. Horse racing, carriage racing, rodeos, horsemanship shows. Heck with cartoons, RFD channel is all she watches. Eating has its own challenge related to aversions. She doesn't eat red meat at ALL. Regardless of what or how it's done. That includes meatless type pretend meat lol. She'll eat chicken but she can't see seasoning in it. It goes in and on.

She's in that dramatic phase of tweendom now and I think I may soon need my own set of psych medications.lol kinda
daycarediva 12:23 PM 06-04-2013
Your son and my daughter are twins separated at birth lol. When we hit the bra phase, it was a disaster. This bra wasn't tactless, this one had bothersome shoulder straps. This underwear doesn't fit right, they bother me. These socks are the wrong kind.... Oh. My. Gosh. When puberty happens here soon, I may crawl under a rock lol. Shaving was enough of a disaster.

Her obsession is horses. Horse racing, carriage racing, rodeos, horsemanship shows. Heck with cartoons, RFD channel is all she watches. Eating has its own challenge related to aversions. She doesn't eat red meat at ALL. Regardless of what or how it's done. That includes meatless type pretend meat lol. She'll eat chicken but she can't see seasoning in it. It goes in and on.

She's in that dramatic phase of tweendom now and I think I may soon need my own set of psych medications.lol kinda
they are! My son is 11. Deodorant smells weird, it has a different texture (we tried sprays, solid, gel) finally settled on one unscented solid. Underwear can only be tagless boxers. He likes wearing his one favorite LS shirt under 'cool' shirts
KnoxMom 01:26 PM 06-04-2013

That is exactly what I am planning on. I know each child is different and I expect that upon meeting this family we will both know pretty soon whether or not it will be a good fit. As far as getting him to participate, my initial answer would be to use my knowledge of the things he DOES like and incorporate that into our current activity. For example, if we are using sorting trays and I know he loves cars I could use small cars to for color sort or wheels for counting instead of the usual counting bears. If he can't stay away from the lego table, I could treat them as unifix cubes for a math lesson, etc. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the child involved even when uninterested? I don't want him or his parents to feel labeled, but I do want to make sure I cater to his needs as well as those of everyone in the group.
Cradle2crayons 01:34 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
That is exactly what I am planning on. I know each child is different and I expect that upon meeting this family we will both know pretty soon whether or not it will be a good fit. As far as getting him to participate, my initial answer would be to use my knowledge of the things he DOES like and incorporate that into our current activity. For example, if we are using sorting trays and I know he loves cars I could use small cars to for color sort or wheels for counting instead of the usual counting bears. If he can't stay away from the lego table, I could treat them as unifix cubes for a math lesson, etc. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the child involved even when uninterested? I don't want him or his parents to feel labeled, but I do want to make sure I cater to his needs as well as those of everyone in the group.
I think the ideas you already mentioned are fabulous ways to get him involved!!! Great ideas!!!! And yes, the easiest way is to do just like you said, adapt the activity to what he's interested in, such as changing bear counters to car counters etc.

Also, be prepared for when you CAN'T redirect him even if its something he likes.

You seem knowledgable enough and clearly are realistic with what you need to do and yes, you will know in the interview at least a gut feeling.

I'd protect myself and my sanity by telling mom you need to do like a probationary period. Just in case the arrangement isn't feasible which will let you both "off the hook" just on case.

Also, just FYI. I wish I could have found a caregiver for my daughter more like you.
KnoxMom 01:39 PM 06-04-2013
Thank you SO much for the feedback Daycare Diva! I've looked at several of the PECS systems on amazon.com that come with the stand so he can also pull one if he needs to communicate something. What helped your son gain his ability to speak the most? Would you say the therapy or were there things your daycare provider was able to do to make breakthroughs? I'm assuming he won't be a fan of finger paint or sensory tables so how were those elements introduced or were they avoided altogether? Again, I sincerely appreciate all of the information.
daycarediva 01:47 PM 06-04-2013
My son was NEVER able to fingerpaint, but he can/does enjoy shaving cream texture, and will spend HOURS and HOURS playing with modeling clay and/or play doh. Again, all depends on the kid.

If it doesn't interest him, I wouldn't push it. I don't do that with my current kids, and I certainly wouldn't do it with a child on the spectrum.

My son received a TON of therapies (still does) but the MAIN thing that helped him speak (not so much as speak as he could speak some, but it wasn't communicating it was echoalia) was repetition and consistency from home+daycare+therapy. Therapist said use pecs but encourage him to label, so we did. We would model the word, then ask him to repeat it. It took MONTHS before he was able to follow the direction to say "water".

Pecs are EASY to make, so are social stories. For my son, his provider and I used a picture of the ACTUAL item in the ACTUAL setting (for instance, milk in HIS cup) then he could point to the picture of HIS cup filled with milk (or water in another picture). He didn't respond well with the clip art pecs tends to use.

My provider made his potty training pecs. DS pulling pants down, DS sitting on the potty, picture of PEE/POOP in the potty, picture of DS wiping, picture of DS pulling pants up, picture of DS flushing, picture of DS turning on the water, picture of DS getting soap, picture of ds lathering, picture of ds rinsing, picture of ds drying hands, picture of ds putting the paper towel in the trash, picture of ds putting a sticker on his chart.

She photocopied it for me, and together it took us a solid YEAR of consistency and effort to get him fully trained, but once he was, he didn't have a single accident, ever.

Told you she was a SAINT!
daycarediva 01:48 PM 06-04-2013
we also used pecs on keychain rings for various things, car trips, walks, store, pediatrician, dentist, everything. Pecs helped me communicate with my son, and honestly greatly reduced the tantrums/negative behaviors commonly associated with non verbal children. LOVE pecs.
daycarediva 01:53 PM 06-04-2013
About sensory; he may LOVE it. It may overly engross him, help calm him, etc. My ds LOVES water, loves the texture of rice, beans, nothing jello-ish, no gak no ooblek, but kids in his class enjoy those. He also likes sand. I always allowed him to have those experiences. I also allowed him to NOT participate in them. So I would introduce them, and see where it goes.
KnoxMom 02:25 PM 06-04-2013
I think the ideas you already mentioned are fabulous ways to get him involved!!! Great ideas!!!! And yes, the easiest way is to do just like you said, adapt the activity to what he's interested in, such as changing bear counters to car counters etc.

Also, be prepared for when you CAN'T redirect him even if its something he likes.

You seem knowledgable enough and clearly are realistic with what you need to do and yes, you will know in the interview at least a gut feeling.

I'd protect myself and my sanity by telling mom you need to do like a probationary period. Just in case the arrangement isn't feasible which will let you both "off the hook" just on case.

Also, just FYI. I wish I could have found a caregiver for my daughter more like you.
Thank you so much!
KnoxMom 02:28 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My son was NEVER able to fingerpaint, but he can/does enjoy shaving cream texture, and will spend HOURS and HOURS playing with modeling clay and/or play doh. Again, all depends on the kid.

If it doesn't interest him, I wouldn't push it. I don't do that with my current kids, and I certainly wouldn't do it with a child on the spectrum.

My son received a TON of therapies (still does) but the MAIN thing that helped him speak (not so much as speak as he could speak some, but it wasn't communicating it was echoalia) was repetition and consistency from home+daycare+therapy. Therapist said use pecs but encourage him to label, so we did. We would model the word, then ask him to repeat it. It took MONTHS before he was able to follow the direction to say "water".

Pecs are EASY to make, so are social stories. For my son, his provider and I used a picture of the ACTUAL item in the ACTUAL setting (for instance, milk in HIS cup) then he could point to the picture of HIS cup filled with milk (or water in another picture). He didn't respond well with the clip art pecs tends to use.

My provider made his potty training pecs. DS pulling pants down, DS sitting on the potty, picture of PEE/POOP in the potty, picture of DS wiping, picture of DS pulling pants up, picture of DS flushing, picture of DS turning on the water, picture of DS getting soap, picture of ds lathering, picture of ds rinsing, picture of ds drying hands, picture of ds putting the paper towel in the trash, picture of ds putting a sticker on his chart.

She photocopied it for me, and together it took us a solid YEAR of consistency and effort to get him fully trained, but once he was, he didn't have a single accident, ever.

Told you she was a SAINT!
Oh, I see! This has been so informational for me and thank you for sharing. This is why I LOVE THIS FORUM!
Tags:asd, therapist
Reply Up