Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Cat Has Worms...How To Address Parents?
MCC 06:52 PM 10-26-2013
Ugh, I can't believe I'm writing this. We adopted 2 cats from a highly recommended rescue about 4 weeks ago. They are both up to date on all of their shots and were thought to be in good health.

Turns out one of them has roundworm. They are indoor cats, they are on flea/tick meds, and had been de-wormed. I'm not sure how she got them, unless she already had them when we got her. I am so sad for her and disgusted at the same time. The Vet recommended some over the counter de-wormer tonight, and are taking her in to see them on Monday.

Anyway- I know I need to tell the parents, but how do I address this? If they don't want to bring their kids next week, do I still charge them? I'm worried about people terming b/c of this.

Everything I'm reading says kids wont get the worms unless they eat an egg, the cats do not hang out in the daycare room, and their litter box is not in a daycare area, so they should be fine.

Any advice would be great.
mrsnj 04:41 AM 10-27-2013
Maybe it's me but why would you have to tell them? It's not going to bother the children. We got a dog from a shelter and she had them. Meds take care of it and quickly. Doesn't effect anyone. Seems silly to send a notice out for something that doesn't effect them. Jmo
LittleHandsBigHearts 06:36 AM 10-27-2013
I agree. If cats are completly seperate from dcks and they can't acess the cat, then I dont think you should anounce that. Take care of the problem and wash your hands of it. This could potentially hurt your business.
Willow 07:01 AM 10-27-2013
Roundworms are incredibly common, and although the thought of them residing in your cat is unpleasant they're really not a big deal.

I'd say nearly if not 100% of kittens have them, and most cats in rescue do too (because they're either found as strays or surrendered after not ever having been wormed properly (it can take several rounds of treatment to irradicate them completely).

It's not any kind of reflection on you or the rescue, rest assured.

I wouldn't share with the parents, there's simply no reason to as long as reasonable precautions are being taken to avoid the kids coming into contact with them.
JoseyJo 07:24 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

I wouldn't share with the parents, there's simply no reason to as long as reasonable precautions are being taken to avoid the kids coming into contact with them.

Familycare71 07:27 AM 10-27-2013
Agree! Assuming the kids don't use the litter box as a sensory bin... so it wouldn't really effect them.
crazydaycarelady 07:45 AM 10-27-2013
I don't think you need to say anything either.
malli 08:13 AM 10-27-2013
look up collodial silver. a few drops in their water everyday should get rid of any kind of parasite. my family and i take it regularly as well. we make our own so its a lot cheaper.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by malli:
look up collodial silver. a few drops in their water everyday should get rid of any kind of parasite. my family and i take it regularly as well. we make our own so its a lot cheaper.
Yikes! A quick internet search tells me that colloidal silver is NOT safe to take and that there are many products that are far safer and more effective than colloidal silver.

"Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...silver/AN01682

"Colloidal silver products were once available as over-the-counter products, but in 1997, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that colloidal silver drug products were not considered safe or effective. Colloidal silver products marketed for medical purposes or promoted for unproven uses are now considered “misbranded” under the law."

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...OIDAL%20SILVER
mrsnj 09:55 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Agree! Assuming the kids don't use the litter box as a sensory bin... so it wouldn't really effect them.

MCC 11:15 AM 10-27-2013
Thank you all so much! I was really freaking out about this!

We got a hold of the rescue today and they came over right away with prescription de-wormer. They also said I shouldn't worry about the kids...I feel so relieved.

I guess I wont be telling the parents about this, and hopefully our kitty is going to be feeling better soon!
MCC 11:16 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:

Tags:cat, cat - worms, pets in daycare
Reply Up