Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Beneath the Scarlet Sky
Josiegirl 12:05 PM 09-23-2017
It's by Mark Sullivan and is profoundly moving; based on a true story of Pino Lella and his involvement in helping Jews, and becoming a spy during WW11 in Italy. An amazing story of love, loss, grief, risk.
Definitely worth a read.
Rockgirl 01:15 PM 09-23-2017
This sounds like something I'd love. Thanks for the recommendation!
Josiegirl 07:25 AM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
This sounds like something I'd love. Thanks for the recommendation!
Another WW11 story is Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project. I read this quite awhile ago and it's another amazing story of someone who risked their lives, helping children during that dreadful time. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it also.

We will never have a clue what people gave up and/or lived through back then. How evil the leaders were, how horrible things were. Most of our lives are ultra cushy compared to then. We see pictures, read books, but it still overwhelms me what people of that generation went through. Millions of innocent victims, used as slaves until they collapsed, were shot, tortured, families torn apart and never see each other again. ugh, it's all mind-boggling and so so sad. Whenever I read stories like these, I feel it keeps that time in our minds as to always be grateful for what we have and hope/pray we never ever enter another world war that even comes close to the tragedies and destruction from back then.
Rockgirl 11:32 AM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Another WW11 story is Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project. I read this quite awhile ago and it's another amazing story of someone who risked their lives, helping children during that dreadful time. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it also.

We will never have a clue what people gave up and/or lived through back then. How evil the leaders were, how horrible things were. Most of our lives are ultra cushy compared to then. We see pictures, read books, but it still overwhelms me what people of that generation went through. Millions of innocent victims, used as slaves until they collapsed, were shot, tortured, families torn apart and never see each other again. ugh, it's all mind-boggling and so so sad. Whenever I read stories like these, I feel it keeps that time in our minds as to always be grateful for what we have and hope/pray we never ever enter another world war that even comes close to the tragedies and destruction from back then.
So true!
NeedaVaca 10:36 AM 09-26-2017
I just read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah-I cried...very good read, same time frame! Strong women!
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 09-26-2017
I just started reading this book. It was an amazon monthly free book

I can barely keep up with them, sometimes.
Rockgirl 11:16 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I just read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah-I cried...very good read, same time frame! Strong women!
I read this awhile back. It really got to me!
Josiegirl 02:20 PM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I read this awhile back. It really got to me!
Loved The Nightingale. I like Kristin Hannah anyways but this book was a very emotionally charged story
Tags:book suggestions
Reply Up