Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Time/Vacation Time
small_steps 10:33 AM 10-20-2011
I'm new to this forum and I have to say there are so many providers here with great advice. I'm revising my policies to take affect in Jan 2012. I'm trying to get started on them now. Right now I have no sick time or vacation time in my policies. If I'm sick (which fortunately has been rare), I have my sub come in and take over. If I take a vacation (also very rare), I use my sub. Tuesday I had to close because my mom couldn't take my 2 year old when he was sick. That's the first time I've ever had to close my home daycare for an unscheduled closure. My parent's were really good about it, but I really want to put something into policy. I have 7 sets of parents, so I know that not everyone will always be ok with it, and I need to have something in writing.
I'm thinking of adding that I will have 5 paid sick days to my handbook. I don't feel like that is too much to ask. Most working parents do have sick time at their job. Several providers in my area take 2 weeks paid vacation time. I'm so leery of doing that. I'm afraid I would lose kids. I come from a center and we only closed on holidays and bad weather days. I know the home care is different.
Would anyone care to share their policies with me and any feedback they've gotten from parents on this matter?
I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I haven't had much time to search old posts yet.
Thanks for any responses
Zoe 10:49 AM 10-20-2011
I allow myself 5 paid sick/personal days a year. I let them know that I will let them know as soon as possible if/when I will be taking the day off with the latest notice being the night before.

In addition to paid holidays, I take off 2 1-week vacations. The first being sometime in the summer. The second is always the week between Christmas and New Year's. Everyone in my family has a bday in December so I need a break!!! Both vacations are half-rate so they're really only paying me for 1 vacation. I feel this is fair and the 5 families I have do not have a problem with it.
2ndFamilyDC 12:05 PM 10-20-2011
I have never given myself any sick days. In 22 years of doing this I have had to close 3 times because I was to sick to be open. (knocking on wood)

But I do give myself 3 weeks of paid vacation. (I did this after about 15 years of doing daycare)

I do give my parents each 5 sick days to use for time they have to be home with their sick kid. But they can only use one a week.

I also put in my contract that I get paid for funeral days I would take off for an immediate close family member. (5 days if I feel I need it). I had to do this when I lost two brothers somewhat close together.
Reply Up