Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Leaving on Good Terms
Unregistered 05:45 AM 03-10-2011
Hi Ladies,

I am hoping for some thoughts. We have been taking my 2 children to a home daycare for the past 3 years--one is 3 and the other is 10months. I love her and we have no family in town and she is the closest thing to family we have. She is someone I can ask parenting advice and she has helped us in more ways that I can count.

My DH has an opportunity to take a job that would allow me to stay home with my kids. This is new and something that I never imagined would be possible. I feel so torn though, I love our daycare and feel almost......sad at the thought that she might not be in our life anymore.

Are you all still friends with people that have used you in the past? What is the best, most respectful way to take my kids out? Should I give like, 2 months notice and say that I could take them out sooner if she found someone for their spot? I feel like I am losing a family member!!

Thanks,

Amy
laundrymom 07:11 AM 03-10-2011
Yes, as much notice as you can, plus a bonus? To show her your appreciation? I have to be honest. I love my day kids but my income is our main source of supporting my family and the greatest gift I've ever received is a months notice and two weeks severance on the last day. While I missed the kids and understood the reason, it impacted me not only emotionally but monetarily as well. Her gift of notice and additional money showed me respect, importance and love. We are still friends. The kids are 13 & 18.
MyAngels 07:15 AM 03-10-2011
Definitely as much notice as you possibly can. The bonus Laundrymom suggested would be a nice touch if you can afford it. She will understand, and will most likely be excited that you are able to stay home with your little ones.

I have remained friends with a few of my previous families, and I love the fact that I can continue to watch "my babies" grow up, too.
momatheart 07:16 AM 03-10-2011
Yes as much notice as you can.
Cat Herder 07:32 AM 03-10-2011
Give her as much notice as you can so she can still pay her bills and you should be wonderful.

I would be so excited for you, that is what every woman dreams of, to be able to stay home with just her kids. IMHO.

Congratulations!!!!
jen 07:37 AM 03-10-2011
I agree with Cat, I would be really, really excited for you! But yes, please give as much notice as possible!

I have many families that I still see on a regular basis even though I no longer care for their children! Kids grow up, Mom's stay home, but it doesn't have to mean the end of your relationship!

I had dinner with an old daycare Mom last night! We see each other about once a month!
Meeko 07:40 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi Ladies,

I am hoping for some thoughts. We have been taking my 2 children to a home daycare for the past 3 years--one is 3 and the other is 10months. I love her and we have no family in town and she is the closest thing to family we have. She is someone I can ask parenting advice and she has helped us in more ways that I can count.

My DH has an opportunity to take a job that would allow me to stay home with my kids. This is new and something that I never imagined would be possible. I feel so torn though, I love our daycare and feel almost......sad at the thought that she might not be in our life anymore.

Are you all still friends with people that have used you in the past? What is the best, most respectful way to take my kids out? Should I give like, 2 months notice and say that I could take them out sooner if she found someone for their spot? I feel like I am losing a family member!!

Thanks,

Amy
I know I speak for others here when I say we wish that all day care parents were as considerate as you! Just giver her as much notice as you can. The bonus would be nice or at least a little gift that says how much you appreciate her. I know she'll be happy for you that you can stay home with your little ones. Make sure to put out the good word for her with your friends as that may help her fill the spots and secure her income.

I am still in touch with "kids" from 20+ years ago. Some have kids of their own now. It's wonderful to see them grow up. So certainly keep in touch! Maybe remember her birthday, come visit if you can etc. Your children have a close relationship with your provider. It would be great to keep that alive.
Unregistered 07:58 AM 03-10-2011
I agree, as much notice as possible. The bonus is nice if you can, if you can't, I wouldn't worry about it. If she is truly your friend as you say, she will understand, and be HAPPY for you that you have the chance to be home with your children! Congrats!
daycare 08:16 AM 03-10-2011
Wow can I clone you... how sweet of you to even ask....
I would talk to her in person and let her know, as soon as possible. I am sure she will more than understand your situation.

I had the same exact thing happen when my now 15 year old son was an infant. My neighbor who used to watch me as a child watched my son while I was in college. I got a job offer right out of school 3 hours away and had to move. I cried so much at the thought of not having her in my life, but after 15 years, we are still in contact and I now live 10 hours away.

congrats to you and your family!!
wdmmom 08:19 AM 03-10-2011
Find out what the options are for going down to part time or even drop in care. This way you still have back up in the event something happens...jury duty, illness, family emergency, etc.

I would just be honest and tell the provider that an amazing opportunity came your way and give her plenty of notice. (I had a family that had a similiar opportunity present itself and they gave me 6 months notice!)

I'm sure everything will work out in the end!
lil angels 08:40 AM 03-10-2011
Oh you sound like a great parent to have. Giving a much notice is great that really helps if you don't bale that makes a big difference. I had a family that left and they gave me a thanks you card will almost a weeks pay in it that was so nice I had thought to myself wow she didn't just give me some line for why she left they did really like me. And yes I would ask her about drop in care I love that as a provider because then I can still see the kids every once in while and they can see their friends again too.
Tags:close daycare, close letter, notice of closure
Reply Up