Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lying
Unregistered 09:38 AM 02-11-2013
Hi!

So I have had DCB (3 yo) for the last year and a half. He has been an awesome little boy up until the last month or so.

He has begun to lie to me about things. For example, he will be throwing food on the floor at breakfast and then say "Ms. X, So and so is throwing food on the floor". I watched him do it and he keeps saying it was someone else. He is doing this constantly now - doing things he is not supposed to do and then immediately lying to me and blaming someone else.

He has also started in the few days, uncontrollably crying when mom or dad drop off in the morning. Saying he misses them and he doesnt want to be here.

DCM did inform me that his older sibling was awesome until about 3 1/2-4 yo when he was kicked out of his daycare. She says she thinks the same is happening with him.

What would u do with a child who is constantly acting out and lying about it???
Unregistered 10:33 AM 02-11-2013
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Play Care 10:53 AM 02-11-2013
When he throws food, he is done with the meal and he can clean it up. If he is trying to get friends in trouble he can play by himself right by me. Playing with friends is a privilage. I would see about having whoever drops him off put him in the door and not even come in - or have you come out and get him fron the car (if possible) to see if that puts and end to the drop off drama. Does he have a reward system? Maybe earning a sticker or pom pom to put on a chart or in a jar when he does well(coming in nicely, telling the truth)? You can always make it so that x amount of stickers = some treat he really likes.
If none of this nipped it in the bud then I might have to put serious thought to ending the arrangment. A child can do a lot of damage by not telling the truth
SilverSabre25 11:06 AM 02-11-2013
he's little and probably just learning that it is possible to lie. At that age they don't do it maliciously, they do it because they can, like a toddler who hits or a baby who blows raspberries.

IMO the best way to handle it is to (gently) call them out.

Miss, Tommy threw food on the floor.
Sam, I know that's just a story. I saw the food come out of your hand. You threw it. Now you're done eating, because I know if you are throwing food it means you're not hungry any more. Help me clean this up...

Miss, Julia hit David.
Sam, I know that's not true. I was watching. Maybe you're remembering a time when that happened. If you want to tell stories you should say, "I remember when" or "I have a story! What if Julia hit David!"
Play Care 11:29 AM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
he's little and probably just learning that it is possible to lie. At that age they don't do it maliciously, they do it because they can, like a toddler who hits or a baby who blows raspberries.

IMO the best way to handle it is to (gently) call them out.

Miss, Tommy threw food on the floor.
Sam, I know that's just a story. I saw the food come out of your hand. You threw it. Now you're done eating, because I know if you are throwing food it means you're not hungry any more. Help me clean this up...

Miss, Julia hit David.
Sam, I know that's not true. I was watching. Maybe you're remembering a time when that happened. If you want to tell stories you should say, "I remember when" or "I have a story! What if Julia hit David!"

Love the way you worded it!
Tags:lying
Reply Up