Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When People Call Inquiring About Daycare...
jojosmommy 09:47 AM 04-14-2011
What do you usually tell them over the phone?

Rates?
Hours?
# of kids in care?
Curriculum?

I have had a number of people call and they didnt even know what to ask. Turns out all were not ready to commit to sending their kids to daycare anyway but what do you say to get them interested in an interview?

What about non-negotiables like a pet in the house? Do you tell them that right off or end up waiting until the interview? I don't want to bother inviting people into my home if they arent comfortable with our 1 little dog but hate to go through all these non-negotiables when they call the first time. Thoughts....
DCMom 09:52 AM 04-14-2011
Just the basics; whether or not I have an opening for what they are looking for, hours and a bit about my program. Then I let them as questions ~ usually if something is a deal breaker (like pets or a curriculum) they will touch on that themselves. I don't like to give rates over the phone, but if they ask directly I will tell them. I am at the high end of my area so that alone often ends the conversation, which is ok.

I usually like to chat with potential clients a little bit; you can get a feeling as to whether or not you even want to interview with them on the first phone call.
lil angels 10:02 AM 04-14-2011
I get things like hrs they need, ages of kids, name and phone#. I let them know rates if they ask. Then I try chat a bit about the day. And then if all is going good I will tell them I think I have an opening but I need to check my numbers to be sure then I will call them back. Unless I really need the kids then I will try to set up the interview right then.

If after I let them know things then I will ask ok then would you like to come over and see my house. Most parents will ask the things that are important to them the most so you can get a feel if it will be a good fit or not. I had someone call last night I think it was dad and every question that I asked her had to ask mom and then relay back to me not sure if I want to call him back with a spot or not?
jojosmommy 10:12 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I get things like hrs they need, ages of kids, name and phone#. I let them know rates if they ask. Then I try chat a bit about the day. And then if all is going good I will tell them I think I have an opening but I need to check my numbers to be sure then I will call them back. Unless I really need the kids then I will try to set up the interview right then.

If after I let them know things then I will ask ok then would you like to come over and see my house. Most parents will ask the things that are important to them the most so you can get a feel if it will be a good fit or not. I had someone call last night I think it was dad and every question that I asked her had to ask mom and then relay back to me not sure if I want to call him back with a spot or not?
LOL! that is what I mean. I have had a few people (2 dads) call and start with "how much" and then not know anything else to ask. One wasn't even sure how much they currently paid for daycare. (I did not ask him this either) "ummm, I think we pay like $200 a week for one kid but I don't really know." I knew they would never call back anyway but come on.
countrymom 11:17 AM 04-14-2011
rates and hours and that I have a contract that must be signed upfront. then I know if they are interested or not, its funny when I mention contract how many become very quiet then I know they are not a good family. And then I chat a bit and go with a gut feeling, like last weeks interview, I knew when I got off the phone that they were losers.
wdmmom 12:13 PM 04-14-2011
I tell prospective clients whether there is an opening or not, the hours of operation and ask how old their child is and the hours they are needing care.

I then go into asking whereabouts they live or work (a good way to tell if its even a possibility.) If they don't work or live nearby, the chances of you getting this kid aren't very high.

I then tell them that I don't have set rates and the rate would be dependent on how they want to pay and the hours.

Then I try to get a little information on why they are looking for a provider. (moved, new job, problems with existing provider, if child has never been in daycare before, etc)

If they are further interested, I offer them the opportunity to schedule an interview, meet with me and see what I have to offer.
Abigail 12:30 PM 04-14-2011
I have called a few home daycares for my sister this week. I've never called looking for daycare, but I was ready with a few questions that were obvious.

My first question was if they accepted state assistance.
Second question was if they had 4 openings.
Third question was if 2 of those were infant openings.
Fourth question was what part of town they were located.

If they gave the answers I needed, then I continued to ask questions about rates and hours.

I called four places and two of them met my criteria. I told those two thanks and I'll pass on the information and those who didn't fit I said thank you for your time. Only one of these calls a contract was mentioned so it caught me off guard because I always think every has a contract, LOL
Lucy 12:48 PM 04-14-2011
I get the conversation going right off the bat. It used to be that they would call and I would let them ask their questions, then after a 10 min convo, they would say "so I work till 7:30 pm...." or something outrageous like that, and I'd have to tell them that I only go till 5:00, and they'd be either surprised (go figure) or let down. So now, I get the conversation started in the direction I need it to go. They'll say "I saw your ad for daycare in the paper...." and I'll start asking "what age is your child?" "what days and hours would you need care?" "do you live in (my) town?" "how far away do you work?". When I've asked those things, I'll start telling them that I have a fenced play yard, I'm pet free, snacks and lunches are included, I tell them the ages of the kids that are currently here, some of the activities that we do like going for a walk whenever possible, crafts, what kind of toys I have, etc. I also tell them vaguely where I'm located. After I've kind of sized them up and it seems like they are committed, I will go ahead and give them my rate, and I will say "what time is good for you to come for a visit?" I never give my rate right at the start. Sometimes their opening question is, "I'm calling about your daycare. How much do you charge?" And I just turn the conversation into what I stated above "what age is your child" etc......
daycare 12:51 PM 04-14-2011
I dont get into too much detail over the phone...

If the first question they ask is how much do you charge I will tell them $100.00 an hour for the first child and $150.00 for the second..... lol

There is usually a moment of silence and then I laugh... Some will say wow are you for real?? I tell them NO and then I ask them what their needs are. If I can meet their needs then I will give them a little information about my program. I usually try to tell them all about my program before I give the rate. This way they some what understand what they are paying for.

if they are comfortable with the rate then I ask them to come tour and interview....
Tags:inquiry, interview, potential families
Reply Up