Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever, No Other Symptoms
daycare 04:18 PM 03-12-2012
SO this morning I had to turn away not one but 2 of my DCF because they showed up with thier children and were honest that DCK was running a slight fever. Both parents explained that they had no other symptoms and were fine.

I don't know if they were fine or not, because I sent them home. BOth kids had fevers that were some what low. 100.4 and 100.6....

I did call and check on both kids to see how they were feeling. one DCM told me that they went to the doctors since their other child had a check up, they asked the doc to check DCK. Of course, they didn't get anything in writing, but they say, the doc didnt find anything but still has a fever. I tell mom ok well I need for him to be fever free for 24 hours without the aide of medication.

Mom goes on to tell me, DCB has been fine all day long today, just the fever.

I have never experienced this before, but not sure if I should allow for the child to come back tomorrow or not. Regardless of what the doctor said, My rules say no fever...

Anyone every have this happen and what could be causing a fever with no symptoms?
bice99 04:24 PM 03-12-2012
No returning. My DD had a fever a few weeks ago - noticed it after church. In 15 minutes it had spiked to 103.6. Kept her on Motrin. Fever came and went (up to 101/102) and then Wednesday afternoon, the stuffy/runny nose and cough kicked in. She ran a random fever until the following Monday. She missed 6.5 days of school!
saved4always 04:28 PM 03-12-2012
I sent home a dcg a couple months ago because she had a fever. My illness policy says that they cannot be here with a fever of 100 degrees f or more. If a child has a fever, they are most likely fighting something kind of illness. My doctor checks my dd for strep (since she always used to get it) and ear infections, etc. If she doesn't have something like that which may need antibiotics, he will say it is a virus, but she still cannot go to school until she is fever free for 24 hours.

I have noticed that a lot of parents today think that if the doctor says it is "just a virus", that they are fine for daycare. Viruses are contagious and can cause a child to be miserable; they just cannot be cured by antibiotics. So, I don't care if there is another symptom with it or not, they cannot be here.
Childminder 04:31 PM 03-12-2012
Just went thru here. Just fevers, no other symptom. Six out of 13 kids got it at one time or another. One girl for almost two weeks, most for 2-3 days. Some did not even cross paths. Weird.
safechner 04:54 PM 03-12-2012
I would send them home because they are sick, period! One and half week ago, I hit fever with no other symptom in one day. It was so weird but I was so weak and wanted to sleep in all day. Of course, I should have closed for daycare and it was so hard to keep up with my daycare kids. When my husband came home and he took care of me and he wanted me to close the next day if I didn't get any better. At night time, I woke up when my husband wanted me to eat soup since I had not eaten all day. It was fever broke after I eat soup. The next day, I feel so much better 100%.

I wouldn't let daycare kids stay if they have fever with no other symptom. Today, my daughter is sick with 100.4 and she sleeps all day due to threw up all night (8 times). She just woke up and she said her tummy is starting hurt again. If she throw up one more time and I will have to take her to ER or Urgent care.
daycare 05:35 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by safechner:
I would send them home because they are sick, period! One and half week ago, I hit fever with no other symptom in one day. It was so weird but I was so weak and wanted to sleep in all day. Of course, I should have closed for daycare and it was so hard to keep up with my daycare kids. When my husband came home and he took care of me and he wanted me to close the next day if I didn't get any better. At night time, I woke up when my husband wanted me to eat soup since I had not eaten all day. It was fever broke after I eat soup. The next day, I feel so much better 100%.

I wouldn't let daycare kids stay if they have fever with no other symptom. Today, my daughter is sick with 100.4 and she sleeps all day due to threw up all night (8 times). She just woke up and she said her tummy is starting hurt again. If she throw up one more time and I will have to take her to ER or Urgent care.
So sorry to hear about your daughter. I hate to see my kids sick or any kid sick for that matter.....

I wonder what is going on with this kid. He has had a bad cold for weeks and weeks, so i wonder if he is getting strep or something of that nature...ugh I don't want to have to battle the family at the door again tomorrow if he is still sick.
wdmmom 08:24 PM 03-12-2012
No fevers, no admission.

I don't care if they present any other symptoms or not. A fever means something is brewing and the body is trying to ward it off.
MyAngels 08:20 AM 03-13-2012
One of my littles ran a low grade fever of 100.4 for two days last week, coupled with just a mild cough, then it spiked to 103 or 104 - turned out he had the flu (as tested by his pediatrician). Definitely exclude until the fever is gone.
safechner 08:21 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
So sorry to hear about your daughter. I hate to see my kids sick or any kid sick for that matter.....

I wonder what is going on with this kid. He has had a bad cold for weeks and weeks, so i wonder if he is getting strep or something of that nature...ugh I don't want to have to battle the family at the door again tomorrow if he is still sick.

I feel the same way, thank you. She is lucky that she is on spring break this week. She is still sick but I will have to take her to see a doctor to find out what is wrong with her. Last time, she was sick about three years ago when she was in Kindergarten.

I understand you don't want to battle the family but you have to think to protect from your daycare kids, your own and you to get sick from them, you never know.
daycare 09:07 AM 03-13-2012
DCK came today and I checked his temp right away. NO fever. The parents said they gave Tylenol only after they left yesterday morning and none since then.

Hopefully all goes well today...
Tags:fever
Reply Up