Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Pay A Sub???
Zeke 09:54 PM 09-01-2014
I am just curious how others go about paying a sub to come in and work for you? I have only had this luxury since March, and at that time I was gone half the month so split it half... since then tho, I realize that is a LOT beings it is my home, groceries, electricity yada yada yada.... thoughts????

Thank you!
Play Care 02:35 AM 09-02-2014
I can only use a substitute for so many hours per year, so I couldn't have them here that many hours. I pay mine between $10 and $12 per hour. I find that when I pay better, I get better help. It's worth it to me to have that piece of mind.
midaycare 03:38 AM 09-02-2014
$10 per hour, or for a day, whatever the parents would pay me.
DaveA 04:03 AM 09-02-2014
If I have to bring in my backup sub, $10/hr.

Usually my sub is my wife, so payment includes sushi, flowers, and breaking out the massage table for her.
hope 04:12 AM 09-02-2014
I pay $15 an hour. It is what babysitter' s in my area are getting. If I have them here for the whole day I lose out. I would rather pay well and have someone greatly qualified and trust worthy.
NightOwl 04:24 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:

Usually my sub is my wife, so payment includes sushi, flowers, and breaking out the massage table for her.
Hell, I would sub for you Dave!! That's way better than money.
daycare 09:20 AM 09-02-2014

Ill sub for you
Thriftylady 09:22 AM 09-02-2014

Swap the sushi for Mexican food and I'll sub for you!
AmyKidsCo 09:35 AM 09-02-2014

Ooh, sushi, flowers & massage?? I'll sub for you!!

PS - going rate is $10/hour here too.
Zeke 02:33 PM 09-02-2014
Thank you so much for the replies!

I am paying my sub (who BTW, is also my oldest daughter 75% of what is made that day. I keep the 25% for expenses etc. I actually figured up the days and exactly what I would make per day and it turned out pretty dark close, so I guess I will keep it like that for now. That way we are both getting something out of it as I open up my charge at the store for food etc... the DC is provided at my home as well

I thought I could only use a sub maybe once or twice per year, but as it turns out the licensor said as often as I want! I have already used her 4 times since March! 2 weeks vaca (Hawaii!) in March, 4 days in May so hubby & I could go to Seattle, 1 day in June for a ME day, and 2.5 days last week, so I could take my youngest daughter out of town to do school shopping It has helped my stress level a LOT!
permanentvacation 09:39 AM 09-03-2014
I pay my sub $20 for every 3 hours of work. Which is almost $7.00/hour take home pay for her. The way I see it, since I'm paying her under the table, I'm paying the taxes on her income. If she were hired at a daycare center, she'd make between 7.25 and 8.00/hr. Once taxes were taken out, she'd make between 6.00 and 7.00/hour. So I give her about what a person would make on their paycheck after taxes were taken out.

When I was trying to decide what to pay her, I took my daughter's paycheck stub at the time when she was making minimum wage and calculated how much her take home pay was per hour. It was a little over 6.00/hour. Since I want to make it worth my sub's time and mine to have her come to work, I hire her and pay her in blocks of 3 hour shifts.
TomCopeland 12:57 PM 09-08-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I pay my sub $20 for every 3 hours of work. Which is almost $7.00/hour take home pay for her. The way I see it, since I'm paying her under the table, I'm paying the taxes on her income. If she were hired at a daycare center, she'd make between 7.25 and 8.00/hr. Once taxes were taken out, she'd make between 6.00 and 7.00/hour. So I give her about what a person would make on their paycheck after taxes were taken out.

When I was trying to decide what to pay her, I took my daughter's paycheck stub at the time when she was making minimum wage and calculated how much her take home pay was per hour. It was a little over 6.00/hour. Since I want to make it worth my sub's time and mine to have her come to work, I hire her and pay her in blocks of 3 hour shifts.
Here's the problem with paying someone under the table (it's common in family child care): If the person ever gets injured while working for you, her health insurance policy won't cover her. Instead, it's a workers compensation claim and you will likely be forced to pay her entire medial bill, plus severe penalties. Also, if you or she is ever audited, the IRS and your state will treat this person as your employee and you can get hit with Social Security taxes, unemployment taxes and penalties and interest. FYI.
Tags:assistant - what to pay, substitute
Reply Up