Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Penalty for a Small Dead Bug in Classroom
Cal 06:45 PM 02-26-2019
I have been given Civil Penalty of $500 for safety violation. This penalty is because the licensing analyst found one small dead bug in classroom and she asked me to get pesticide done, which I have scheduled, even though I don't think it is needed. This seems excessive and harsh. Is it possible to appeal and win this type of harassment? Thank you. Image is posted on imgur . com /a/bs6fITL

happymom 08:02 AM 02-27-2019

I am sorry, I don't know a thing about any of this stuff but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Definitely excessive and harsh in my personal opinion.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Cal:
I have been given Civil Penalty of $500 for safety violation. This penalty is because the licensing analyst found one small dead bug in classroom and she asked me to get pesticide done, which I have scheduled, even though I don't think it is needed. This seems excessive and harsh. Is it possible to appeal and win this type of harassment? Thank you. Image is posted on imgur . com /a/bs6fITL
What state are you in?

Have you had violations previously?

I can't advise or comment as I am sure there is more to the story than a simple citation due to a bug.

Either the analyst has it out for you/your program, is a bad analyst or there are prior citations that this one is being built off of....

In my state a provider was cited (and ultimately shut down) because of an unwashed infant bottle in the sink.

That statement alone is horrifying... a citation and a closure due to an unwashed bottle.

But once all the details were presented it made more sense so I am NOT in any way saying you have/haven't done anything wrong I am just wondering if there is more to the story.

Can you elaborate on the situation?
It IS absolutely possible to appeal and win a case like this....just because someone is an analyst doesn't mean their word is the law so if you were unfairly cited, I'd absolutely appeal it.
Mom2Two 01:23 PM 02-27-2019
If it's as you say, or even close, then you should definitely appeal. Licensor abuse is common. (Crappy providers are also common--I'm not putting one above the other.)

Things could go either way though. Appeals can win or sometimes the CCL folk will rally and the cards will be stacked against you. It's hard to predict which way it will go though

Are you in touch with other providers in your area, such as a facebook page? If there isn't one, I would recommend to start one so you can talk about such things. This is one of the best protections you can have.

Also, stay in touch with CCL on an going basis if you have reasonable people there. If they know you, and you have a track record of good inspections, they may be more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.
hwichlaz 02:44 PM 02-27-2019
California?

Call your advocate.
Tags:ccld, civil penalty
Reply Up