Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With SA's During Cold Weather During Nap Time???
sahm2three 11:54 AM 11-02-2012
I have a bunch who are serverely testing me today. I can't send them outside because it is too cold, and they are refusing to be quiet. I am so close to calling parents! I gave them the option to find a quiet toy/game/book and have a movie on and they are being so loud and bouncing around. I am worn out! They have already woken some littles up. I seperated them all and turned the lights out and tv off, and they have decided that they are in charge and will do what they want! I don't know what to do at this point.
daycarediva 12:13 PM 11-02-2012
I have no advice as mine were OFF THE WALL when school was was closed for hurricane Sandy. They woke up alllll of the littles (even though the nap room is around the corner and down a long hallway and the door is only cracked). My littles were a mess and the dcp's don't have much to say because God forbid I not entertain their kids every second.
tenderhearts 12:14 PM 11-02-2012
They sit for quiet time and watch a disney movie
Unregistered 12:15 PM 11-02-2012
Divide and conquer. Separate them as far apart as possible. There's less feeding off of each other. Peer pressure no longer comes into play.

Give them something they won't enjoy. Write sentences. Practice penmanship. Old enough to diagram sentences? Write a paper for you. Work on spelling words. Sort and wash toys. Dust, sweep or mop. Scrub grout. Have them sit quietly and look at a book for an hour. Teach them how to twiddle their thumbs and set the timer for 5 minutes. If it's early enough, have them take a nap.

If older kids are being overly naughty, call them on it. If they are going to make life tough for you, put it back on them. Give consequences for poor choices.

When I have a kid or kids that want to act up, I find something outrageously fun for the kids who are behaving. Can't behave? Too bad, so sad. Maybe you can take part next time when you're making better choices. Get creative. There are tons of ways to get the point across. Bad behavior means no fun.
dave4him 12:20 PM 11-02-2012
Wish i knew. I couldnt get mine to sleep. And i mean mine. The two DK were fine, my two were in their room in their cribs making a mess and yelling back and forth at each other.
sahm2three 01:51 PM 11-02-2012
Ok, they were AWFUL 90% of the nap. I got almost no break frrom them. So, I was making a special treat (popcorn) for them for snack. Do I still give it to the misbehavors or do I give them something regular? I am so at the end of my rope. I just walked back out of the room and said I was done. Parents have both been called and are aware of the situation and will deal with it later, because I have no recourse. What do you do with them for the rest of the day???
skittles 06:28 PM 11-04-2012
I have four school age boys that will work on a "project" during nap time. They just build some awsome cardboard castles and painted them. The project has to be something they can do with little help from you so you can still get your break. Now they will build animals out of clay for their castles, plus we recycled a bunch of matierial for the cause. Another idea would be to set a timer and have them take turns on the computer, wii, or another type of game system. You should check with the parents to see if its ok they play on a gaming system. There are numerous educational fun games they could play online. ect..
Meyou 01:07 AM 11-05-2012
I make them rest with the babies if they can't play quietly. They rarely get too loud. I had one boy have to rest one day this summer.
melskids 02:45 AM 11-05-2012
Just wondering how cold is too cold?

Cause mine get kicked out everyday no matter what.
LK5kids 04:41 AM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:

That's what I was wondering as my state requires we go out with a wind chill of 1 degree or warmer (for kids two and up). I think that is crazy!
Meyou 05:07 AM 11-05-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:

Haha! Mine too but I've been told it's the exception not the norm.
Reply Up