Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Big Is Your Daycare Space?
DaisyMamma 05:17 PM 01-07-2013
I'm curious what everyone uses for daycare space.

My room is very small, about 230 sq ft. It was our dining room. But our front door opens to it and the kitchen and bathroom are right off of it. So it worked out well.

Now that my daycare is full I'm wishing for more space.
blandino 05:34 PM 01-07-2013
We have a large in-home daycare (12 children) and our daycare is separate from our persona living space. We use a 700 square foot addition + a 500 square foot converted garage. It is more space than we need, but we have an infant room & a preschool room. So because those two rooms were the ones available & most separate for us to use (have separate entrances & bathrooms) they work for us.

We will soon be moving to a new home (we are renting a place for childcare only), and it is 1000 sq. feet. It is a large kitchen, living room, and two bedrooms. We feel it will work very well for us.
JenNJ 05:50 PM 01-07-2013
We have a 550 square foot room of dedicated space. If I add in the rest of the rooms we use, it is about 1200 square feet.
Thetotspot 06:17 PM 01-07-2013
For several reasons i chose to have daycare outside of my home. First i want my privacy and frankly i live out of town and the wrong direction from commuters. Secondly i wanted a space where the kids had access to everything...no place is off limits...while my children maintain their personal space. Thirdly i need to keep myself in check. I am too tempted by tv when i get bored but our daycare has no tv and im there twelve hours a day. I am renting a commercial space righton main street. We have maybe 1200 or more square feet. I love how it is all open and totally child accessible (low toilets, steps built under sink, etc). I couldnt imagine not having the space. Now if only i had a higher enrollment!!!
nanglgrl 06:28 PM 01-07-2013
I think mine is maybe 600 square feet but it seems larger. All I know for sure though is that I could always use more space.
Patches 07:04 PM 01-07-2013
I think a little over 400 sq. ft. It was our living room and dining room. I eventually want to convert my 2 car garage to add another space to the daycare.
blandino 07:08 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I think a little over 400 sq. ft. It was our living room and dining room. I eventually want to convert my 2 car garage to add another space to the daycare.
There are some great YouTube videos about garage to daycare conversions. I wish we had watched them before doing ours.
Patches 07:28 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
There are some great YouTube videos about garage to daycare conversions. I wish we had watched them before doing ours.
I watched a lot of them because I was going to convet my garage and use that space only in the beginning but it trned out to be too expensive right now. Can't wait til I can, though.
Crazy In Mo 07:45 PM 01-07-2013
I have one room that's for DC only it is about 600 sq ft.
coolconfidentme 02:09 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Thetotspot:
For several reasons i chose to have daycare outside of my home. First i want my privacy and frankly i live out of town and the wrong direction from commuters. Secondly i wanted a space where the kids had access to everything...no place is off limits...while my children maintain their personal space. Thirdly i need to keep myself in check. I am too tempted by tv when i get bored but our daycare has no tv and im there twelve hours a day. I am renting a commercial space righton main street. We have maybe 1200 or more square feet. I love how it is all open and totally child accessible (low toilets, steps built under sink, etc). I couldnt imagine not having the space. Now if only i had a higher enrollment!!!
I too don't live at my daycare & have no TV either. I have renovated a house, all open concept & have 1,600 sq ft for the children. My daycare is open Mon-Fri; 1st, 2nd & 3rd shift. The shift worker really had no childcare options, until I opened up. Business is good!
jessrlee 03:34 AM 01-08-2013
1000 sf walk out basement. Sometimes it feels huge and sometimes I feel like I'm in a Cracker Jack box lol!
melskids 03:53 AM 01-08-2013
My "daycare" room is only about 280 sq. ft., but we tend to spread out throughout the whole house.

You NEVER have enough space....lol
DaisyMamma 04:06 AM 01-08-2013
I'm so jealous of everyone! I won't be able to add on to my house for 2+ years and feel that renting is a waste of income.

It's just my "dedicated" space that is so small. The littles need to stay in there but the biggins can go in my family room and have their own big kids playroom - which is just a small bedroom. I also have another small bedroom that I use for storage and naps.
Heidi 06:00 AM 01-08-2013
I have mainly an 8x12 room that is my playroom, a short hallway from the livingroom/dinning/kitchen, which are open concept. I typically have 2-5 children, although I am licensed for 8. I've had 7 or 8 here when I had more over 2's, and it's very tight. Now that I have mostly infants and toddlers, it feels comfortable.

I keep my infant by me, while the other kids have "run" (walking feet!) of the space. I alternate between the two. We eat at the dining table with boosters and clip-on chairs.

My problem is that with my upcomming FCCERs assessment, I am not allowed to be out of the room. THey want sight AND sound at all times. So, what's working really well for the group is not what they want to see. I LIKE my children to have a little more freedom (within reason, of course). I guess for observation day, though, my butt will be on the playroom floor! The kids will be wondering what the heck is going on...lol. I'm guessing they'll be thinking ..."why doesn't she just butt out?"
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I have a whole house!

I still feel this way.
KEG123 09:30 AM 01-08-2013
Mine is the dining room and living room of my small house. Mostly the dining room, though. One day soon I'll need to measure. I'm not sure exactly how many SQ feet. Just moved locations though, unfortunately to somewhere a touch smaller. It works well for us because I try to keep smaller numbers, equal or less than 5 children, two of whom are my own.
kitykids3 05:43 PM 01-08-2013
Got the whole lower level of my house, but it is only about 675 sq. feet and divided into 4 rooms plus bathroom, kitchen and entry way room. I like having a dedicated space for daycare separate from my living area but it can be kind of hard to supervise and organize with it all split up. Makes each individual room feel small. I wish I had a big open space that I could split up with dividers as I see fit (and that I wouldn't get knocked points off from the rating system).
Perhaps someday.
EchoMom 05:55 PM 01-08-2013
I would estimate about 700 sq. ft. It's the whole upstairs basically of a split level house that my mom, DS, husband and I share. My mom lives exclusively downstairs with her own bathroom, kitchen area, etc. My husband DS and I live upstairs, except our masterbedroom is downstairs and we all share the laundry room.

So the upstairs is probably about 700sq. feet of which both bedrooms are exclusively for daycare, and we also of course use the living/dining room, kitchen, and bathroom.
Holiday Park 06:17 PM 01-08-2013
Main Area/Play room : 18X15ft (270 sq ft?)

Our own living room used only for drop off&pick ups because that's where the front door is: same space,maybe more , to above)

Nap room/Formal Dining room: haven't measured approx 10x12 ft room

Kitchen : used mainly for meals for in the high chair, is gated off .

My daughters bedroom : about 10x12 ft ,used as nap room for ONE pack n play for anyone who is new/too loud/itty bitty

Is that enough space for 6 kids? I only keep 2 ,and 3total only one day out of the week. It still seems not real huge for 3 15/16 month olds (one is my son) and one cruising infant . But I had one lady who interviewed and seemed impressed with how "big" my play room was ,saying she went to interview with someone who did group daycare (more than 10 kids,various ages) and told me my space was still bigger than that other lady's.
Meeko 07:03 AM 01-09-2013
Basement with separate entrance - 1500 sq ft.
Kim 07:40 AM 01-09-2013
My downstairs is daycare only with a separate entrance. It's two rooms (kitchen/art room and playroom) that total 700 sq ft. I would love to finish in the other half of the 2 car garage and use that space as a dedicated nap room. Right now we use the playroom for napping and that's sometimes tough with kids ranging from infants to age 5.
sahm2three 08:51 AM 01-10-2013

My room is very small, about 230 sq ft. It was our dining room. But our front door opens to it and the kitchen and bathroom are right off of it. So it worked out well.

I use my basement as the main daycare area. The part used for daycare is about 1200 sq ft. It has been a wonderful set up.
Reply Up