Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Driving Through Moore OK On Vacation
rmc20021 06:33 PM 05-22-2013
I posted a week or so ago about the road trip I'll be taking with my grandkids from Michigan to Texas. We had planned to take one route down there and a different one back. The trip down would take us through IL, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma before arriving in Texas

The night after the Tornado's in Oklahoma I decided to see how close we would be when we travel through OK on vacation. We are going straight through Moore.

I really want to stop and see the devestation for myself on this trip...but I feel as though I may be intruding into these people's lives who have already had so much disruption.

I'd love to stop and offer whatever help I could during the day or two I could spend there, but I'm not sure if I would be more in the way by that time (June 22ish) or if I could actually be of service.

My grandkids are 10 and almost 17 so I also think it could be a good learning experience for them to see how good they really have it.

Any suggestions on whether you think I should stop over or not???
lovemykidstoo 06:37 PM 05-22-2013
Stop somewhere along the way at a thrift store and buy a bunch of clothes. It said on the news that people needed clothing since they lost everything and contact the American Red Cross and donate them. That way you can experience their tragedy (and I don't think there is anything wrong with that really) and also do something good at the same time. It's not really any different than people wanting to go to ground zero you know? Be safe. Just make sure that you're not in the way is all.
daycarediva 03:34 AM 05-23-2013
I think if you were able to pack clothing in boxes according to sex and size that you could donate it. Maybe the kids could ask their friends at school to donate as well before the trip. I would also call the local red cross and see if they could direct you on where to go/help when you arrive.

I think it's a wonderful, generous, act.
MsLaura529 04:43 AM 05-23-2013
I think donating clothes would be a great thing!

Where at in MI are you from? I am also from MI and if you're close by, maybe I can send some things along with you.
bunnyslippers 04:56 AM 05-23-2013
I think it is a great idea to donate clothes, and to have your grandkids ask their friends to help. It is so important to realize how fortunate we are, and how quickly your life can change.
rmc20021 05:01 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I think donating clothes would be a great thing!

Where at in MI are you from? I am also from MI and if you're close by, maybe I can send some things along with you.
I am in SW part of MI...

I feel so horrible because I just had a garage sale 2 weeks ago and GAVE AWAY 6 garbage bags of clothes when I was done with the sale. I could have taken those with me had I known...at least some of them. Not sure how much room I'll have in my car.

I'm going to figure something out though because I like the idea of clothing donating also...wish I could haul a trailer full down there.
Laurel 06:00 AM 05-23-2013
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...o-victims?lite

Just googled this and thought it might help. It looks like most want cash donations but further down the list there is a need for personal care items, diapers, formula, cleaning supplies and such.

Laurel
blandino 06:13 AM 05-23-2013
I live in Oklahoma, and the general consensus is that at this point cash donations are the most helpful thing that anyone can do.

They have been saying that the amount of people who are showing up to physically volunteer is overwhelming, and is creating a logistical nightmare.

Donations are a great idea, but at this point there is simply nowhere to put any of these items. People have been arriving with trailers full of donations, and right now it is still too early to use any of it - which is creating storing & organization problems. If you could maybe find an organizations, such as the salvation army to take donations (and hold them until the appropriate time) that would be helpful.

It is very disheartening to all the people who want to go help, but from most of the reports we have been getting - they have more than enough volunteers and organizing more is taking away from the bigger efforts
nanglgrl 06:18 AM 05-23-2013
Everything I've read says cash donations or help with clean up in the weeks/months after as many people only help for a week or two after. I wouldn't bring clothing, I think at that point most of them will probably have enough "emergency" clothing and will be well on their way to being able to go out and buy clothing that fits their taste instead of wearing hand me downs. It looked like a well off community. I would call the Red Cross and see what they recommend, I would also suggest that unless there is some reason to go into Moore to stay away. We had a bad tornado near here a while back and people just driving through (even one more car) impedes clean up.
TheGoodLife 06:18 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I think if you were able to pack clothing in boxes according to sex and size that you could donate it. Maybe the kids could ask their friends at school to donate as well before the trip. I would also call the local red cross and see if they could direct you on where to go/help when you arrive.

I think it's a wonderful, generous, act.
. How lovely for you and your Grandkids! I'd hope that it's a bit more prepared to have people stopping through for donations by then (right now they are asking people to stay out, but Id hope things are more settled by June, for their sake!) Bless you for your generosity!
rmc20021 06:43 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Everything I've read says cash donations or help with clean up in the weeks/months after as many people only help for a week or two after. I wouldn't bring clothing, I think at that point most of them will probably have enough "emergency" clothing and will be well on their way to being able to go out and buy clothing that fits their taste instead of wearing hand me downs. It looked like a well off community. I would call the Red Cross and see what they recommend, I would also suggest that unless there is some reason to go into Moore to stay away. We had a bad tornado near here a while back and people just driving through (even one more car) impedes clean up.
This was what my thoughts were...I didn't want to impose and make things more difficulte for the residents as well as the clean up crews...kinda like an auto accident on the highway where everyone is trying to see what is going on and then causes additional crashes.

I did contact Salvation Army for a friend of mine who does search and rescue with rescue dogs and works for the Missing You Foundation searching for missing people and was told to ask him to NOT self deploy himself to the area unless he was asked to go.

I think I will contact Red Cross and see what they have to say...I'm sure they will say to stay away though
Reply Up