Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Statutory Holidays
mamac 07:37 PM 05-22-2013
I am a bit confused on how to charge for statutory holidays. My handbook states that tuition is due 52 weeks per year, which also includes paid holidays. (which I have off)

Do I charge part-timers that are not normally scheduled on the day the holiday occurs? For example: They normally come Wed, Thurs, and Fri. The holiday falls on a Monday. Do I still charge them an extra day? If I do charge, how do I "remind" them that they will owe more than their normal weekly rate?

This is what my handbook says:

If a holiday falls on a weekend I will be closed either the Friday before or the Monday after. If you are normally scheduled to attend on the day the holiday is observed, you are responsible for payment of tuition. Reminder: Tuition payment is due 52 weeks per year.

I originally wasn't going to charge if they weren't scheduled, but then I was thinking it wasn't fair to the full-timers that had to pay for a day they weren't allowed to attend AND they had to pay for alternate care.

What does everyone else do?
Cradle2crayons 07:42 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I am a bit confused on how to charge for statutory holidays. My handbook states that tuition is due 52 weeks per year, which also includes paid holidays. (which I have off)

Do I charge part-timers that are not normally scheduled on the day the holiday occurs? For example: They normally come Wed, Thurs, and Fri. The holiday falls on a Monday. Do I still charge them an extra day? If I do charge, how do I "remind" them that they will owe more than their normal weekly rate?

This is what my handbook says:

If a holiday falls on a weekend I will be closed either the Friday before or the Monday after. If you are normally scheduled to attend on the day the holiday is observed, you are responsible for payment of tuition. Reminder: Tuition payment is due 52 weeks per year.

I originally wasn't going to charge if they weren't scheduled, but then I was thinking it wasn't fair to the full-timers that had to pay for a day they weren't allowed to attend AND they had to pay for alternate care.

What does everyone else do?
If they are SCHEDULED on a day that falls in a holiday, I would charge. That's how I interpreted your handbook.

If they are NOT SCHEDULED that day, I don't see how you could charge them for that day they wouldn't have been there anyway.

For instance, they are full time, MONDAY through FRIDAY. A holiday falls on a Thursday they are in fact normally scheduled. Yes they pay for that day of course.

If they are part time and are contracted for Monday, we'd, and Friday and a holiday falls on a Tuesday, I don't see how you could or would charge them for that extra day.

If I were that mom, I'd not be happy that my rate is 50 a week for mon, we'd and Friday and then you charged me 75 bucks next week because a holiday falls in a day I wasn't supposed to be there anyway.

However, if they are scheduled in a Friday that you are observing a holiday, they won't be there and would pay their regular weekly part time rate... Not sure why you would charge them an extra day they wouldn't normally be there
Shoot I'm tired did that make sense??
Patches 07:45 PM 05-22-2013
I personally wouldn't charge them if they are normally not scheduled for that day
CrackerJacks 07:52 PM 05-22-2013
I would not charge for a day that is not a normally scheduled day.

I have kids who attend M-F, T/Th, and M/W/F. Unfortunately it sucks to sometimes be that M/W/F crowd as M&F are usually the days that are holidays or days in which I use vacation days. But, it is what it is and that's their schedule they chose/needed.
Blackcat31 07:58 PM 05-22-2013
ALL families pay my paid holidays off.

If a family attends 3 days per week, they pay for the holiday either as one of their 3 days or sometimes IN ADDITION TO depending on if they are normally scheduled that day.

Yes there are certain incidences where a 3 day per week family ends up paying for 4 days but it is what it is and I figure that is just the way part time works.

I dont think it would be fair for a 5 day per week family to pay for a day they cant use since I'm closed so I just charge everyone for the day to make a bit more fair.
mamac 09:13 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If they are SCHEDULED on a day that falls in a holiday, I would charge. That's how I interpreted your handbook.

If they are NOT SCHEDULED that day, I don't see how you could charge them for that day they wouldn't have been there anyway.

For instance, they are full time, MONDAY through FRIDAY. A holiday falls on a Thursday they are in fact normally scheduled. Yes they pay for that day of course.

If they are part time and are contracted for Monday, we'd, and Friday and a holiday falls on a Tuesday, I don't see how you could or would charge them for that extra day.

If I were that mom, I'd not be happy that my rate is 50 a week for mon, we'd and Friday and then you charged me 75 bucks next week because a holiday falls in a day I wasn't supposed to be there anyway.

However, if they are scheduled in a Friday that you are observing a holiday, they won't be there and would pay their regular weekly part time rate... Not sure why you would charge them an extra day they wouldn't normally be there
Shoot I'm tired did that make sense??
That all made perfect sense to me and that is what my dh was arguing... No way would he want to pay if he wasn't scheduled. I wrote that policy that way before I decided to go with charging 52 wks/yr. I think I copied it from an old DC I used who had minimal policies in effect. I was proofreading my handbook before I printed a bunch of copies and I came across that section. I also don't want to come across an issue with part timers that may have a varying schedule to deal with. I'm just not sure how to make it fair and I'm curious what others do. It seems as though BC may hold the key to solving my problem. And btw, I'm tired too. I need to just go to sleep and stop re-reading my paperwork this late at night!!! I'll never be finished with it at this rate. lol.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ALL families pay my paid holidays off.

If a family attends 3 days per week, they pay for the holiday either as one of their 3 days or sometimes IN ADDITION TO depending on if they are normally scheduled that day.

Yes there are certain incidences where a 3 day per week family ends up paying for 4 days but it is what it is and I figure that is just the way part time works.

I dont think it would be fair for a 5 day per week family to pay for a day they cant use since I'm closed so I just charge everyone for the day to make a bit more fair.
This was my argument... Now how to you explain that nicely to the PTer's that are contracted for say 3 days and have to pay for 4?

I checked your handbook that you sent me and it doesn't say anything there about that discrepancy so how exactly do you institute that into your policy?
MamaBearCanada 05:19 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by :
Now how to you explain that nicely to the PTer's that are contracted for say 3 days and have to pay for 4?

I checked your handbook that you sent me and it doesn't say anything there about that discrepancy so how exactly do you institute that into your policy?

Perhaps:
"DCP attendance is based upon a slot and stat hols are part of that slot. If you'd prefer, instead of paying for them on the week they occur I could average them out & add it to your weekly bill."

My part timers pay 1/2 for each stat.
rmc20021 05:22 AM 05-23-2013
If it's not fair to the full timers that a part timer who doesn't pay for a holiday for which they normally do not come, then how is it fair to a part timer to have to pay for days they would not use, whether it was a holiday or not???

It does not make sense to charge someone for a holiday just because it's a holiday and they don't usually attend that day. If I was a parent, I'd be pretty upset.

This does not mean they don't pay 52 weeks per year...at their contracted amount.
Cradle2crayons 05:33 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
If it's not fair to the full timers that a part timer who doesn't pay for a holiday for which they normally do not come, then how is it fair to a part timer to have to pay for days they would not use, whether it was a holiday or not???

It does not make sense to charge someone for a holiday just because it's a holiday and they don't usually attend that day. If I was a parent, I'd be pretty upset.

This does not mean they don't pay 52 weeks per year...at their contracted amount.

craftymissbeth 06:14 AM 05-23-2013
I have never held a job where they pay me a full day's salary on a day I'm not supposed to work anyway just because it's a holiday. And I would never expect it.
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:

This was my argument... Now how to you explain that nicely to the PTer's that are contracted for say 3 days and have to pay for 4?

Because for me, full timers are the ideal client. The part timers get charged more per hour/day/week and get no perks that the full-timers do.

That is MY incentive for families to choose full time care over part time care.

Full timers have to pay for me to have time off so I believe part timers should as well.

My contract states:
HOLIDAYS:
ALL families are required to pay for holiday days when the child care is closed. Families may not schedule around holidays to avoid being charged.

For example, if you are scheduled to attend 3 days per week, the holiday will be counted as one of your days leaving you 2 days of attendance to use.

If the holiday does not fall on one of your scheduled days, you will be charged for the holiday closure IN ADDITION TO your regularly scheduled days.

The only exception to this is families who attend 2 or less days per week. Those families must pay for their regular days in addition to the holiday day.

I have done it this way for many years and have never had a part time client complain. If a parent didn't agree with that, they simply wouldn't sign on with me.

It doesn't sit well with some of you and that's perfectly fine as we all do what works best for us and this works fantastic for me.
itlw8 07:18 AM 05-23-2013
If they have set days and it falls on a day they do not come they do not pay extra

no switching days t avoid the holiday If they say can I come Tuesday next week? I say Yes but it is an extra day because Monday is a holiday and that is your regular day.

If they pick their days each week then one of the 3 days they take off and pay for.

What is in your contract seems fair to me AND you need to follow it until you get a new contract
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 05-23-2013
I don't charge my clients for holidays that fall on days that they are not scheduled to be here. So far I have yet to have any issues with this and have had no complaints. I explain this up front before signing so they all know. For me it works.

It affects FT and PT clients scheduled on Mondays and Fridays mostly like others have said but I have enough "perks" for clients that they don't really mind. For example I also don't charge when I close for other reasons (vacation, sickness etc.) but I charge my clients for child absences for any reason... clients appreciate it but the reality is that I don't get sick very much and since my DH is salary he is able to take the days off when I am too sick to care for the kids (which is extremely rare) and don't need to close the DC anyway. We also rarely take vacations except for one week in the summer but my rates reflect that week that I am closed so I'm not really losing any money. My clients usually just take that week off too for vacation so they appreciate that I don't close in the winter (they all prefer to vacation in the warm summer months rather than in the cold winter months). etc etc. Because of these and other reasons my clients don't complain about my paid holidays.
wdmmom 07:48 AM 05-23-2013
ALL families pay for holidays regardless whether it's a regularly scheduled day.

If you don't charge, you will run into this problem:

Bobby attends W,Th, & F...you are closed Th and F for Thanksgiving. Now Bobby has to come M, T & W and because he's there his 3 days, the parents think they don't have to pay.

Same goes for Memorial Day. You could run into a situation where M, W, F are regularly scheduled days and since the family thinks they pay for 3 days per week, Memorial Day don't count as a day because the kid won't be in care so they want that EXTRA day.

I would charge and avoid the drama.
Crazy8 07:56 AM 05-23-2013
Everyone pays THEIR normal weekly rate every week, no exceptions.

If they are scheduled T, TH, F and holiday falls on a Monday they still pay their weekly rate. If that holiday happens to fall on a Thursday they still pay their weekly rate. I could never see charging them EXTRA for a Monday holiday when they are scheduled T, TH, F.

It is their choice to contract care for 3 days, 4 days or 5 days a week. I am not going to play the "its not fair" game with someone over the 9 days I charge for out of the 260 work days in a year!!
MarinaVanessa 08:40 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
ALL families pay for holidays regardless whether it's a regularly scheduled day.

If you don't charge, you will run into this problem:

Bobby attends W,Th, & F...you are closed Th and F for Thanksgiving. Now Bobby has to come M, T & W and because he's there his 3 days, the parents think they don't have to pay.

Same goes for Memorial Day. You could run into a situation where M, W, F are regularly scheduled days and since the family thinks they pay for 3 days per week, Memorial Day don't count as a day because the kid won't be in care so they want that EXTRA day.

I would charge and avoid the drama.
Oh and I don't allow for switching of days either. I also make this known up front so I don't have the problem about people asking to come different days when their scheduled day lands on a holiday. I've been asked before of course but I respond with "Yes I have room. I'll add those days/that extra day to your invoice. Let me know if you need any other changes to your schedule". End of story.
Patches 09:48 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:356492:

This is my opinion too
Cradle2crayons 09:49 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
This is my opinion too

rmc20021 10:25 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Because for me, full timers are the ideal client. The part timers get charged more per hour/day/week and get no perks that the full-timers do.

That is MY incentive for families to choose full time care over part time care.

Full timers have to pay for me to have time off so I believe part timers should as well.

My contract states:
HOLIDAYS:
ALL families are required to pay for holiday days when the child care is closed. Families may not schedule around holidays to avoid being charged.

For example, if you are scheduled to attend 3 days per week, the holiday will be counted as one of your days leaving you 2 days of attendance to use.

If the holiday does not fall on one of your scheduled days, you will be charged for the holiday closure IN ADDITION TO your regularly scheduled days.

The only exception to this is families who attend 2 or less days per week. Those families must pay for their regular days in addition to the holiday day.

I have done it this way for many years and have never had a part time client complain. If a parent didn't agree with that, they simply wouldn't sign on with me.

It doesn't sit well with some of you and that's perfectly fine as we all do what works best for us and this works fantastic for me.
I totally respect other people's opinions...that's why we're such a great group of people, we learn from one another. I just don't think I could ever come up with a plan that would work this type of thing into action.

I can see how you want to give incentives to only have full timers...unfortunately in my area it would never work to charge for days they wouldn't be here.
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 05-23-2013
I totally respect other people's opinions...that's why we're such a great group of people, we learn from one another. I just don't think I could ever come up with a plan that would work this type of thing into action.

I can see how you want to give incentives to only have full timers...unfortunately in my area it would never work to charge for days they wouldn't be here.
If I had lots of negative feedback or protests about it, I would definitely not do it either, but it does work for me. so far.

I also only have 2 part time spaces and right now those two spaces are filled with families that use 3 days per week but NOT set days.

Their schedule varies so it would be super easy for them to just schedule around the holidays and never have to pay them.

I am not above amending/modifying my policies when it needs to be done but so far, its worked and if it ain't broke, I am not going to fix it....kwim?
Reply Up