Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chemical-Free Daycare + Exterminator
Brooksie 05:20 PM 07-19-2013
= a very stressed out ME. Every single thing in my day care is now grouped together and covered. It looks so crazy. I'm seriously considering stripping the walls too. Ladies, I'm freaking out. And I haven't even TOUCHED my personal things and cabinets. If any one sees this that wasn't following the "Freaking OUT" thread, I found out I have cockroaches in my kitchen/basement. My house is SPOTLESS. So after I talked to the exterminator they told me with them being so invasive I have no choice but to spray the outside and inside of my house with loads and loads of chemicals. I don't even own bleach or use it here so I'm losing it.

On top of everything I need to do tonight, I had a RECORD breaking BAD day today that ended with a new dcg today that needing to go to Urgent Care to get a very very VERY bad welt on her head checked out, from tripping over herself and hitting her forehead on the molding of my doorway. The welt was IMMEDIATELY black (not blue) and stuck out about an inch and a half. She is ok (no concussion or fractured skull) but its just been one of those days and I'm still freaking out about all this. UHG.... TGIF RIGHT?!?!
LK5kids 05:52 PM 07-19-2013
to U! I would also have a HUGE issue having my home sprayed...oh, gosh!

I ended up with fleas once (not doing day care @ that time) and battled them naturally. I know roaches are a different story.

Is there anything that can be done to minimize exposure to the chemicals like wiping things down or is that counter productive?

Sprouts 06:08 PM 07-19-2013
Have you tried borax?
Do you live in an appt or house?
I ask because if your neighbors are slobs, the roaches will come back eventually...unless you pick up every single crumb and keep sinks and showers dry....

read this article

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ll-cockroaches

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ll-cockroaches
I wish you the best
I hate roaches too! One of the reasons i was glad to leave the city...now i have to deal with ear wigs, silver fish and ants (GAG! UGH)
Brooksie 06:31 PM 07-19-2013
I think wiping things down is counter productive. I'm not sure. I know I'm going to be the exterminators worst nightmare when he gets here. I'm going to ask 1,000,000 questions before he touched ANYTHING. I'm so distraught right now.
Cradle2crayons 07:45 PM 07-19-2013
Because I live deep in the woods miles from civilization, I do a lot of preventative stuff that I think helps prevent without having to do too much in the exterminator realm.

I use borax around and under my house.

I also use diatomite around and under my house. It's natural and even edible!! But it kills anything with an exoskeleton.
Brooksie 05:54 AM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Because I live deep in the woods miles from civilization, I do a lot of preventative stuff that I think helps prevent without having to do too much in the exterminator realm.

I use borax around and under my house.

I also use diatomite around and under my house. It's natural and even edible!! But it kills anything with an exoskeleton.
I think after this we will be looking into some preventative methods. Where do you get diatomite? I've never heard of it.
SilverSabre25 08:44 AM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I think after this we will be looking into some preventative methods. Where do you get diatomite? I've never heard of it.
look for diotomaceous earth. I probably butchered the spelling. I think you can get it food grade from plant nurseries.
Cradle2crayons 10:29 AM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I get mine at my local co op. you could order it online but its much more expensive.

It helps tons with skeeters and house flies too!!

We learned about it at our old house when our horses were on our property and had issues with flies bothering them.
Brooksie 11:45 AM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I get mine at my local co op. you could order it online but its much more expensive.

It helps tons with skeeters and house flies too!!

We learned about it at our old house when our horses were on our property and had issues with flies bothering them.
Mosquitos are our biggest problem. Im very happy to hear this helps with them! !!
Tags:chemicals, exterminator
Reply Up