Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Day of Daycare Experience and Concerns
vharrisonucf 05:50 AM 05-15-2019
Hi all,

About a month ago, I did a trial day with a daycare and although baby cried at first, I observed the daycare workers and felt real comfortable with leaving her for a few hours. I was impressed w how they were able to calm her real quick as my baby at that time was real fussy. The only thing I noticed that was concerning is that they let the babies sleep on the boppy pillows. Overall, my experience was really good.

Yesterday, baby started her first day of daycare. She is 4 months now. I did not have the same experience at all. Since the trial day, they had gone under new management and there were two different teachers.. Upon walking in there were 6/8 children crying and that lasted for over 10 minutes. The daycare teacher mentioned that it had been a bit overwhelming because 4/8 of the children were fairly new and they aren't fully acclimated. We weren't asked any questions about our child other than when she last took a nap and was fed. We held the baby for about 10 minutes before I went to the caretaker to ask who we should give the baby to. The daycare worker told me to put her on the boppy pillow. I told her that baby was crying on and off and was due for a nap shortly and I didn't want to just put her down on a boppy pillow and leave her to cry on our first day of daycare. she then told me that babies cry and the best thing to do would be for my husband and I to leave because she'll cry if she sees us..... Not true. baby is 4 months and has not presented with any of those signs of separation anxiety. She has done perfectly fine with babysitters and family members when we are present. I was very concerned with how our first part of the day went. I hated how they did not seem to care or want input on how baby's routine is, how they did not care to follow the routine and how they were telling us to leave without offering to take the NEW baby from me and they wanted us to just leave her crying on the boppy pillow for the first day.

I ended up having to go to work but my husband stayed. He mentioned that baby seemed to be tended too when crying at around 5 minutes,which doesn't seem too bad? There had to be a third daycare worker since my baby made it 9 and the ratio is 1:4. Throughout the day he mentioned that there were different workers covering that position for the third worker. He mentioned that one brought in a crying child of an older age and tended to her prior to one of the other caretakers stating that the other babies needed to be cared for. baby did not nap nearly as much as she should have and kept waking up and crying when she was put down in the crib. One of the caretakers decided to put her down to sleep on the boppy pillow instead which does concern me. On the boppy pillow, it specifically states NO sleeping.I don't understand how the daycare workers are not aware or don't follow that precaution.

Overall, we realized that this may be just how a daycare is and we are not ready to leave baby crying, knowing she may not be addressed for up to 10 minutes. We also felt that if this is how it was with him present, then how might it be without him there. We get that this just may be the way it is and so now my husband will have off one of the days and I will have a babysitter for the other day that I am working. My questions to you guys!--

What is the time frame that you feel comfortable with for letting a baby cry before they are addressed? I know there are other babies that need to be tended to and I know that it may be awhile but what is not okay? I left feeling very disappointed that the lady documenting did not grab my baby from me after 10 minutes of us being there and I dont think I should have been told to just leave my baby crying on the boppy pillow but am i just being THAT first time mom? Do most daycare's expect you not to observe? should I expect that most daycare's will not try to get to know the baby first before plopping her down and letting her cry within 10 minutes of her being there? We are going to take a break from daycare but we are thinking of starting daycare again at the 1 yr mark-- I know it's GREAT for socialization and teaching independent play so I do want to try again. When would be the best age to place baby in daycare? Are there any certain activities I can do with baby to encourage the skills she would be getting at a daycare? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Tags:choosing daycare, curriculum - age appropriate, daycare experiences, first day, interview - checklist, parent - its a verb, parental life choices, parenting styles, safe sleep, sids prevention, starting a daycare
Up