Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Least Favorite Age?
MsMe 09:14 AM 03-29-2011
I have two little girls 18 and 19 mo old that are really giving me a run for my money! This age is very hard for me. The whinning bc they dont yet have the worlds to express themselves, the noise bc they LOVE to use the new words and sounds they do have, and ALWAYS being tight under my feet so I trip over them everything I turn around, not being able to hold their attention fo more than a few minutes, teaching to use utensils and manners at lunch, only being able to gently re-direct when they push-scream-kick-hit, and not to metion the transition from sleeping in the "babyroom" to the activity room with the big kids. It is just a very exhasting age in my home. I know that all of the things I mention are common and unavoidable but it seems like from 16mo to 22-4 mo is always the hardest for me and when I get most stressed out.

Please tell me I am not the only one!
Meyou 09:36 AM 03-29-2011
14 to 20 months for me for most of the same reasons. It's not their fault they want to do so many things that they physically can't manage yet but it still drives me bonkers that the reaction to e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. is a whine or a cry.
laundrymom 09:43 AM 03-29-2011
40,... since Im getting closer and closer its my least favorite age yet!!! oh wait,.. lol. you meant the kids,... I think about 4 1/2 on is my least fav for daycare.....
MyAngels 09:48 AM 03-29-2011
I actually like that age, it seems like they learn and change so fast, and I love seeing their personalities emerge. The age I find the most difficult is probably the 4 to 5 age range. Oh, and school age - I don't do SA care for that reason .
SilverSabre25 09:52 AM 03-29-2011
14 months to 18/20 months here, too. That's a tough transition time for them developmentally and I just don't like it much. I didn't like that age range much when my own DD was in it, either!
melskids 09:58 AM 03-29-2011
oh not me. you can give me 50 infants and toddlers, and i'll trade you a couple of school agers...lol

you know what's funny about me, i like people in opposite shifts...lol

i love babies and toddlers

i dont like school agers

i love teenagers

i dont like adults

i love the elderly

weird, huh?
daycare 10:01 AM 03-29-2011
I would have to say the SA
MsMe 10:02 AM 03-29-2011
Oh don't even get me started on School Agers!!! I guess i just didn't metion them bc I don't have them for 50 hours a week!
nannyde 10:07 AM 03-29-2011
school agers
youretooloud 10:12 AM 03-29-2011
School agers. I don't know how those after school programs manage. I'd lose my mind.
juliebug 10:15 AM 03-29-2011
school age with out a doubt! !
MommyMuffin 10:21 AM 03-29-2011
13 months to 24 months.....they take A LOT of patience!!
WImom 10:29 AM 03-29-2011
under 2y and school age. I'm a preschool age person (good thing that's the age I take...lol)
Cat Herder 10:34 AM 03-29-2011
School Age
Unregistered 10:44 AM 03-29-2011
Your most certainly not alone in this. For me its 18 mos-2 1/2. I have 2 that are 2 years old and the one boy is a real pistol. Hes temper gets the better of him and right now he throughs him self down on the floor when things dont go his way. Among other things like screaming, pushing others, throughing toys at others, stealing toys from others, fighting with others over toys. All the normal things 2 year olds do. Very hard stage for me. Never a moment to spare! Oh and on top of everything else they have both bitten each other a few times or tried to bite. Never a dull moment!
dEHmom 10:48 AM 03-29-2011
laundrymom...you must be have a FABULOUS day today! no kids? lol

my least favorite age is the 24-48 mth range (so 2 - 4 yo). And it's not every child and not that whole group, but each kid has a point within those 2 yrs where you just want to have them "sit down, shut up and don't move". I find this is the "terrible 2" stage and they really give me a run for my money.

Like I said it's not every kid. Mostly just my own ds. hahahaha....

When I was looking for a daycare name, hubs told me to name it "Sit Down, Shut Up and Don't Move".
jen 11:00 AM 03-29-2011
Just under 2 to just over 2...old enough to get mad about life in general, not old enough to be able to do much about it other than hit, bite, or cry.
Christian Mother 11:11 AM 03-29-2011
Right now I only have children under 3. I ashually love it bc they are all boys and around the same age. They all play together really nicely...I don't know how it happened or why, but so far it's good!!

Right now, I am not liking my ds childrens ages is that ok to post?!! lol!!
A 4 yr old daughter who whines and a 8 yr old son who argues..it's enough to drive me bonkers!!
wdmmom 01:50 PM 03-29-2011
I'm with Nannyde on this one! School agers are by far the worst for me! They are defiant and disruptive!
happykidschildcare 01:52 PM 03-29-2011
my least favorite is 12 - 20 mos... most demanding age ever in my book
SandeeAR 02:12 PM 03-29-2011
2.5-3.5 and then school agers. I only take infant to 4yrs.
cheerfuldom 03:06 PM 03-29-2011
I have up to 3 1/2 years old. I would say my least favorite by far is the 6 months to walking age. They seem to hit separation anxiety and the first round of "its all about me" right at this age, There is so much transition with napping, eating, milestones and there is usually a lot of crying involved, wanting to be held ALL the time and the things that seem the hardest for me. I don't mind the toddler age. For some reason my tolerance level for tantrums and what not is pretty high because at least you know that they don't need anything so its easier to ignore or address that behavior.
Unregistered 03:36 PM 03-29-2011
I would have to say school age. They get bored and complain. They don't like being quiet during naptime. They just annoy me to the point that I have stopped taking them.
momatheart 04:26 PM 03-29-2011
Once they start to walk. LOL

Actually I find all ages have their pros and cons. Preschoolers I love they are more independent yet innocent.

School agers would be the worst. I would say once they hit 1st grade. Kindergarten so so.
missnikki 04:31 PM 03-29-2011
I am not a fan of infant-5 years old. I have worked with them and they all have their moments, but give me a school age program ALL DAY LONG!

(I know, I know....I don't have them while watching littles... I would be driven insane too... but that is why I only take school age!)
lucky 05:35 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I am not a fan of infant-5 years old. I have worked with them and they all have their moments, but give me a school age program ALL DAY LONG!

(I know, I know....I don't have them while watching littles... I would be driven insane too... but that is why I only take school age!)
I'm just the opposite. Give me all the little ones and you can have the school age kids. I'm already stressing about summer! Wish I could learn to just say NO!
dEHmom 06:57 AM 03-30-2011
yeah, I find when I have a SA and my children after school, I am CONSTANTLY repeating myself for them to stop running around, stop yelling, clean up, etc.

I find they are so bottled up with energy after school it's too much to handle.

And thank goodness I don't have any enrolled over the summer.

The benefit to older kids is it's easier to find activities for them, whereas the itties can't do much for crafts, and just eat the crayons.
My Lil' Monkeys 07:05 AM 03-30-2011
I have to say my least favorite age is SA. I won't take them anymore.

I LOVE infants and toddlers
boysx5 10:04 AM 03-30-2011
SA is the worse for me as well I will take babies anyday of the week which is why I will no longer do SA starting in the summer
Tags:age - least favorite, least favorite - age
Reply Up