Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have Any Experience With Toddlers With Leg Braces? I Need Some Help!!
MaritimeMummy 07:25 AM 04-16-2013
My 22 month old DS has been diagnosed with Blount's Disease. I can't find any support groups or anything to talk to people about their experiences with dealing with life with a toddler with leg braces.

If anyone can help me...what can I expect? His leg bowing is quite severe and will progress without treatment. I am terrified to think about how this is going to affect my day care and my ability to give the other children the time they need (as I now consider his need to braces to class him as special needs, as, as least for the first few months, he will be very limited in his activities and will need to re-learn to do things, so I am told). I am also terrified to think about how these metal braces may end up hurting the other kids. He's by nature a very rough-and-tumble boy, which isn't that big of a deal now because all the kids are older than he is...but it could pose a problem.

We just got the diagnosis on Friday and I haven't even really even had time to process this yet, and before I even had a chance to talk to the parents yet, I got an email from one of my parents, asking me if she could now bring her 10 month old along with her currently-enrolled daughter. She emailed me last night to bring him today! I don't even take kids under 1 year but she told me she's sort of strapped for what to do for childcare for him.

I felt cornered. I told her that we could try it on Thursday in the morning, half day, but I felt I had to tell her my concerns for the future.

I told her I honestly have no idea what to expect, and that it's going to be a learning experience for everyone.

She and all the parents have a right to know what is going on but really, without knowing right now what to expect, I can't make the call as to whether I should close the day care or not. If I knew what to expect I'd feel better and more confident in explaining things to the parents.
Cradle2crayons 07:35 AM 04-16-2013
Wow.... I understand why you are concerned. As an RN and as a mom and care provider for special needs this is the info I have. The first week or so will be the most trying as he adjusts to the limitations the braces will cause. But he will quickly adapt, most do. As far as danger to the other kids, the best way to prevent that regarding the metal ( and it also may make your son a little happier about the process) is to either go to your local vet or order it online... That colored vet wrap. You could even do one of each color. You wrap that around all of the metal and it provides a cushion where the sharper areas are. Plus it makes him really special feeling to be able to decorate it himself. You can do it with them on too. The wrap sticks to itself so no worries. And if he wants to change colors, even better. Heck let all the kids help lol. If you need a link to this stuff let me know. It's about 2 bucks a roll and comes in all the major colors and even camp and other decorator colors
MaritimeMummy 07:39 AM 04-16-2013
Give me a link, PLEASE! Thank you so much! You have no idea how worried I am.
Cradle2crayons 07:40 AM 04-16-2013
Oh and to address the care concerns, print out some info about the braces etc and hand them out with a note to each parent explaining you need their patience the first week or so. For MOST kids, these braces are really no big deal and it would be no different than having a kid Ina cast or something similar.

A month or so ago, the special needs non mobile non crawling tube fed daycare girl fell off the couch at her moms house and broke her leg. Obviously she has bone issues being tube fed etc. well, the main thing this kid enjoyed was the walker. She LOVeS the walker. Well she couldn't be in it with the cast on. And that danged thing was all the way up to her bootie crack. She never had pain though, but mostly was annoyed she couldn't get in the walker, and she only says two words, so it was trying for a few days.

It's great that you are concerned, but honestly, I think it will all be okay as long as you communicate with the parents and they know what to expect from the get go
MaritimeMummy 07:45 AM 04-16-2013
I'm mostly concerned at the prospect of the baby joining us. Until this month, I would have gladly taken him at this age. But the baby isn't even walking. I am not going to be able to tote a baby around in my arms and have to help my son walk at the same time...even if we're just going outside, the way our yard is set up, I will have to carry my son to the play area and then go back inside the house for the baby...so my main concern is how this is going to completely change the day care dynamic and what my minimum age coming in needs to be.
itlw8 07:48 AM 04-16-2013
not braces like that but some up to the shin made or plastic. They were a pain to get the shoes n over but we did it. At one time they thought he would never crawl much less walk./ Then speech. BUT he does and is in regular classroom in 4 th grade.

I remember during tummy time another dcd coming in Z was screaming I was sitting next to him. DCD thought I was terrible. I said he needs it and if he is to walk it is important. besides you use your muscles more when you are mad . See him push up on his arm when he screams.

I learned sign because of Z. I assume you will have therapists and they will give you LOTS of help and maybe even put you in contact with another parent.
itlw8 07:55 AM 04-16-2013
so you have steps??? can you go out the front and around with a stroller?

back pack for the baby and hold the toddler? I used lots of walk behind toys for Z as he was learning to walk. He was very tall so many did not work but I found a shopping carr that looked like it was from target step 2 I think It was sturdy and tall enough. Mom was so pleased the first time he walked across the yard pushing that at pick up.
Cradle2crayons 07:55 AM 04-16-2013
Mom, these kids with these leg braces generally walk just fine IN them... It takes them a few days to figure it out, but he will be able to walk with them on. And certainly, if its allowed, encourage it. I would also not be carrying around a baby that age, walking or not.

Here is the link for the wrap. We always keep it on hand, it's great for all kinds of things lol....

I would recommend either the 2 inch or the 1 inch... Both of these are great deals if you can afford them. That is an awesome price
http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Sensi-...words=Vet+wrap

Here is the one inch....
http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Sensi-...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

Since I'm not sure exactly which braces he will get, you could always be safe and get the one inch. I def wouldn't get more than two inch because splitting that stuff is a pain in the tush....

There are lots of other listings where you can just get a few single rolls or more custom colors and you can see the suggestions at the bottom of the amazon page...

I hope this helps!!
MaritimeMummy 08:32 AM 04-16-2013
If I remember right, he's getting KAFO's.

Thank you for the links. :-)

Another concern is the amount of time I will need to take my son to the children's hospital an hour away. I can suggest other providers who would be willing to back up for me in their own home, but I can't afford to have someone come in to cover me. None of the parents want to take their child someplace else for a day if I am closed. I have one parent alredy giving me grief for when I go for my orthodontic braces adjustments...once every 2 months, first thing in the morning. All I ask is to arrive an hour later. and she knows 2 months in advance when it will be. She's threatened to take her daughter out, we had to resolve it by asking my mother in law to come stay with her for that hour. I just can't see this whole thing with my son playing out well.

Part of it is that I also don't want to do this anymore. My heart's not in it as much as it used to be. I had an interview yesterday for a night cleaning job. It would be great for the family...I would be home with my kids through the day, my husband at night. Each night is only 4 hours and I would be in bed at my regular time. so if i get the job all of this will be a moot point and the day care will end. But of course, I can't tell the parents this, either...
Cradle2crayons 08:44 AM 04-16-2013
Well the second paragraph is starting to make more sense lol.

If you have come to that point where your heart isn't in it and you don't think that this is the right thing for you and your family anymore, then it's time.

What I would do, type up a notice of closing, give them X amount of notice, and have them all find care elsewhere. You explain that your family needs you more right now and they will need to find care elsewhere. It happens and it's much better to do the best you can to end it on good terms. Of COURSE you are going to have irritated parents. But you have to do what's right for you and your family.

Good luck on this though, and keep us updated
MaritimeMummy 09:13 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
give them X amount of notice, and have them all find care elsewhere.
How much notice i appropriate?

I have never termed anyone before. My contract says 2 weeks.

I have LOADS of provider's names very close to me who are great, have openings, and are approved home day cares like myself who have inspections monthly by their home day care agencies (per our Department of Community Services) If I managed to get them a space at another home, who comes highly recommended, could care potentially end as soon as they were placed?

I don't ask for deposits, and we pay weekly, so whenever their last day is would be the last day I'd be paid for. My families are all really great and trustworthy for paying.
Cradle2crayons 01:02 PM 04-16-2013
Then if your contract says two weeks, give them two weeks and a list of other providers for them to contact. I would put that in writing and have them all sign. Be sure they pay you for those two weeks and communicate with them how it all works. Some may find care quickly, some may need to wait three weeks to find care elsewhere but set your end date for at least two weeks from when you tell them and stick to it. We're here if you need us
Reply Up