Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Silly Question BUT When Do You Consider Yourself To Be "Too" Sick To Open...
lflick 03:52 AM 05-23-2013
Good morning.... I had a 18 month old DCG on monday... she was sent home because her nose was nasty, her chest sounded full of junk and mid afternoon she had 100.5 temp... anyways... yesterday my baby, 4 months old, began to sound very hoarse.... low and behold I was slammed with it as well... I am not sure if it is the same bug but I feel terrible.... I had a 100.5 temp last night prior to bed but checked at 3am and this am and it's within normal limits. The cough is better when I am not trying to sleep but I had a fit this am and kid you not I had a hard time catching my breath... it was whooping cough like a reflex... although I know it is unlikely as I have been immunized... I am thinking along the lines baby croup and laryngitis...

anyways... when does one decided to close for the day?
AnneCordelia 04:35 AM 05-23-2013
For myself, I work through colds and most illnesses. I will close if I absolutely cannot function such as vomiting, uncontrollable diarrhea, or a high fever.
rmc20021 05:09 AM 05-23-2013
I would so love to be closed today and be able to lie in bed. I have a really bad bladder infection and am in so much pain...and no insurance to go to the doctor.

It's nothing contagious, but I just feel so awful I want to curl up someplace and be left alone.

I also get horrible migraines due to a head injury I had about 11 years ago and there ARE times when I have to close due to those...I just cannot function. Fortunately I only get one of those bad enough where I have to close about 3 times a year.

So other than the migraines, I would only close if I was running a high fever and vomiting.
Play Care 05:34 AM 05-23-2013
Mostly just if I am vomiting. But once I caught a crud from a dc kid I was just out for the count. High fever, shakes, etc. I closed.

And I made sure to tell the offending family that I caught M's bug
littlemissmuffet 06:40 AM 05-23-2013
It really depends... I try to work through most illness, but if I am just too wiped to handle it, I take a day. I don't care the slightest bit how my DCPs feel about it either. I give myself 5 paid sick/personal days a year for a reason.
DAYCAREPROVIDER242 06:51 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Good morning.... I had a 18 month old DCG on monday... she was sent home because her nose was nasty, her chest sounded full of junk and mid afternoon she had 100.5 temp... anyways... yesterday my baby, 4 months old, began to sound very hoarse.... low and behold I was slammed with it as well... I am not sure if it is the same bug but I feel terrible.... I had a 100.5 temp last night prior to bed but checked at 3am and this am and it's within normal limits. The cough is better when I am not trying to sleep but I had a fit this am and kid you not I had a hard time catching my breath... it was whooping cough like a reflex... although I know it is unlikely as I have been immunized... I am thinking along the lines baby croup and laryngitis...

If I have a fever, can't stop coughing, vomiting, or using the bathroom and feel generally like crap, I'm too sick to be open. Years ago, I was pregnant with my (then triplets) an a mother brought in her sick children I mean they were SICK, I even had to send them home after I realized mom tried to give them medication and act like they weren't sick, but the medication failed and within 2 hours I had her come get them. Her baby ended up hospitalized and the other one was out for a week. Mom did try to bring them back the following week w/o a dr note, and I refused because that baby was in the hospital and I wasn't sure she was well enough without the note saying she was. Mom got really upset and left and found another daycare (who happened to be a buddy of mine, lol) but that provider didn't want to take the kids either.

Two weeks after the initial exposure to the children, I ended up with 3 ailments: pneumonia, strep, 5ths disease 2 of what one of her children had and the other the 2nd child had. And of course I also 2/3 of which are dangerous in pregnancy. I lost the triplet the following week (possibly due to meds I was put on at the hospital, but we'll never know since the other 2 made it). I did not work that entire month, I was so ill. Thankfully, the other parents understood and were grateful I didn't expose THEIR children. I had my backup keep them that month and it was business as usual the following month.

Sometimes, our bodies tell us when we should rest. Sounds like you feel like crap and your body is letting you know to rest.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
For myself, I work through colds and most illnesses. I will close if I absolutely cannot function such as vomiting, uncontrollable diarrhea, or a high fever.
Same here...for the most part. I will work with a fever if it's not the debilitating kind (hot and cold sweats/feels like you got hit by a Mack truck).

I've worked through a bout with food poisoning before too. NOT fun!

If I feel it coming on early enough, I will pop some meds...Theraflu (it isn't just for the flu) and a Tylenol PM and go to bed. I'm guaranteed to wake up feeling like a million bucks!
lflick 07:44 AM 05-23-2013
Thank you! I have the 2 DCG again today, likely the ones I got it from.... the oldest is 4 just told me she doesn't feel good. Says her tummy hurts.... idk how to handle that as it can be non specific but at the same time idk lol sick is tricky when it's not your own children! On one hand you hate to "ignore" it and tell her to more of less suck it up haha but on the other... if she is legit we could have a vomit fest in the future!
canadiancare 07:49 AM 05-23-2013
I'd only close if I couldn't function or if I had something communicable that I wouldn't let a child come in with. *touch wood* I am "lucky" and only get these things on vacation.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 05-23-2013
I would close if I had anything I would exclude a child for.

I am RARELY sick so I haven't had this issue but that's been my plan since opening.
Leigh 08:41 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would close if I had anything I would exclude a child for.

I am RARELY sick so I haven't had this issue but that's been my plan since opening.
EXACTLY! We have no right to be caring for children when we are contagious. The rules about illness are in place to protect kids from these illnesses. I would follow exactly what your licensing rules suggest for kids. The only thing I would add is when I have an extreme migraine (I have them all the time, but a few times a year, I am incapacitated by them), or when I simply don't feel that I could be attentive enough to keep them safe.
MissAnn 11:29 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:

I closed one day for pneumonia. That's in 5 years. My husband had sudden surgery last year and I did not close. I should have!
Reply Up