Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bizarre Child Misconceptions--Share Yours!
SilverSabre25 02:01 PM 05-30-2013
4.25 yo: "When airplanes are about to take off, they just explode first!"
Me: "um, no they don't... [explain lift off]"
4.25 yo: "Oh. Well then. [goes on about his playing]

5 yo had been talking about "Star Wars Giants" for WEEKS before I figured out that he means SKYLANDER Giants. (I still don't know waht they are, but at least I know what he's talking about)

My 5.5 yo still calls sneezes "Bless yous" or "At-chews"

Those are all I can think of right now. Add yours!
MarinaVanessa 02:25 PM 05-30-2013
My DCK's all call magnifying glasses ... biggerators.

Half of them think I ate a little baby and that it's been "growing up" in my belly and that's why my belly keeps getting bigger (I'm due in August). Apparently when I "pop" the baby will escape.

If you eat the seeds of anything you'll grow a tree in your belly.

My DS still calls milk "mywave" for microwave because he still likes his milk warmed up in the microwave before bed-time reading. It sounds like he asks for a microwave but he really just wants milk. He knows what milk is, just doesn't call it that regardless of whether or not he wants it warm or cold.
daycare 02:54 PM 05-30-2013
dinosaurs are still alive and can even eat whales

they live on a different planet this is why we cant see them????

One dck thinks that all teachers live at school, because I do.

another is aware that their parent pays me to have them come to my house. He tells another boy, Ill ask my mom to pay your mom so I can come to your house.....lol

snakes eat cows and little babies????

did you know that caterpillars turn in to raccoons? LOL they cant say cocoons.
CedarCreek 03:04 PM 05-30-2013
Unbeknownst to the dcps, I have an open invitation to come spend the night at any of their houses

Dcg thinks babies come out the top of your shirt

When my son gets "bigger and bigger" he's never going to get married and live with me forever.
Luna 03:14 PM 05-30-2013
Fire trucks shoot fire out of their hoses into the fireplace.
Angelsj 03:16 PM 05-30-2013
One of my new four year olds took the baby's hand in both of hers today and started moving it up and down. When I asked her what she was doing, she said she was, "Greeting the baby's neighbors...."

My guess is, in her preschool program, they are asked to shake hands and, "Greet their neighbor."
Angelsj 03:22 PM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

That is awesome!
MarinaVanessa 03:33 PM 05-30-2013

No Way! They live in my basement (I don't have a basement) and eat poop. This is how I got one DCB potty trained here at DK. He loved dinosaurs and was adamant that they still existed so I told him we had one living under our house. He said "like in your basement" and I said sure. He asked me what it ate and I told him poop. I also told him that that's why we use the downstairs bathroom, so that the poop would go down into the basement and feed the dinosaur. He took my hand and led me to the bathroom and told me that he wanted to feed my dinosaur and that was the first time he ever pooped at my house in the toilet. Sorry, I am not above "fibbing" or "bribery".
MotherNature 06:57 PM 05-30-2013

One dck thinks that all teachers live at school, because I do.

another is aware that their parent pays me to have them come to my house. He tells another boy, Ill ask my mom to pay your mom so I can come to your house.....lol

snakes eat cows and little babies????

Awwww...
Patches 07:08 PM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
No Way! They live in my basement (I don't have a basement) and eat poop. This is how I got one DCB potty trained here at DK. He loved dinosaurs and was adamant that they still existed so I told him we had one living under our house. He said "like in your basement" and I said sure. He asked me what it ate and I told him poop. I also told him that that's why we use the downstairs bathroom, so that the poop would go down into the basement and feed the dinosaur. He took my hand and led me to the bathroom and told me that he wanted to feed my dinosaur and that was the first time he ever pooped at my house in the toilet. Sorry, I am not above "fibbing" or "bribery".
Love this!
blandino 07:08 PM 05-30-2013
Years ago I was working at a preschool. There was a 3 yo girl, whose Mom had just had a new baby and probably wasn't thinking clearly sent a PB&J sandwich to a nut-free school. So we had the girls eat at a separate table that we sanitized after. So I was explaining allergies to the DCG...

Me: "Well when Johnny eats peanut butter he gets very sick, you can be allergic to lots of things - not just peanut butter. My dad is allergic to grass."

DCG: "Your Dad eats grass ?"

This is one of my favorite stories !
Cradle2crayons 07:13 PM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Years ago I was working at a preschool. There was a 3 yo girl, whose Mom had just had a new baby and probably wasn't thinking clearly sent a PB&J sandwich to a nut-free school. So we had the girls eat at a separate table that we sanitized after. So I was explaining allergies to the DCG...

Me: "Well when Johnny eats peanut butter he gets very sick, you can be allergic to lots of things - not just peanut butter. My dad is allergic to grass."

DCG: "Your Dad eats grass ?"

This is one of my favorite stories !
Hey that was a great question though!!! Lol
Patches 07:14 PM 05-30-2013
This was years ago while I was in school. I was observing two 4 yo boys playing at a lego table. One boy asks the other, "W, why are you brown?" W looks up at him and says, "Cuz my eyes are brown. Duh"
SilverSabre25 07:23 PM 05-30-2013
ha, these are all awesome. Love the theories about dinosaurs.
CedarCreek 07:36 PM 05-30-2013
I thought of a good one:

Upon seeing a fire truck in real life for the first time:

Ds: "what's that?" : points:

Me: "that's the water hose. They bring a whole lot of water with them or hook it up to a fire hydrant to put out the fires and that hose is how the water comes out"

Ds: "so its a water truck? I love the water truck!"

Me: "that's..actually a more accurate description of the truck. "

momofsix 08:05 PM 05-30-2013
At the end of our lunch time prayer song one day dcb says "peanut!"
I asked him what he meant by that and he said "If we can say "almond" (AMEN) at the end I figured we could also say "peanut"!
rmc20021 08:15 PM 05-30-2013
I just had a 5 yo dcb ask me today where I work at???

When my daughter was little (2 yo), she used to call a phone "phone-alone". That was back when there were only landlines and every time the phone would ring she would run to answer it and I'd always tell her to leave the phone alone...so that's what she started calling it.

My grandson was about 4 yo and I took him to a chiropractor for the first time. When he got home, he told his mom I took him to a 'firecracker'

I love the things kids say and believe...this brought back some great memories of my own kids who are adults now...sorry it wasn't daycare related, but they were still kids, so guess that kinda counts???
countrymom 05:53 AM 05-31-2013
when I was pregnant with my first, I took my niece (she was almost 3) to the weekly prenatal appointment.
so we are in the elevator and she's telling all the people in the elevator that we are here to pick up my baby.
Reply Up