Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dck crying outside wwyd?
SunshineMama 09:05 AM 07-11-2013
Dck, 1, cries all the time. Today was the first day we could all go outside in a while due to the rain, so we did. Dck cried the entire time, despite attempts to distract with toys, games, etc. We all ended up going in early bc everyone was so miserable from the crying.

It isn't fair to the other kids to go in bc of her crying, and it isn't fair to my neighbors to have to listen to her wailing away outside. Any ideas on what to do?
Cradle2crayons 09:11 AM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Dck, 1, cries all the time. Today was the first day we could all go outside in a while due to the rain, so we did. Dck cried the entire time, despite attempts to distract with toys, games, etc. We all ended up going in early bc everyone was so miserable from the crying.

It isn't fair to the other kids to go in bc of her crying, and it isn't fair to my neighbors to have to listen to her wailing away outside. Any ideas on what to do?
Does she normally cry outside?? Do you think they were sacred from all e rain if there was thunder etc from the storms??

How long have you had this kiddo??

Did they start crying as soon as you got outside the door??
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 07-11-2013
Do her parents take her outside?

What is she doing while out there? Is she in a PNP or being held or just sitting on the ground?

I've had kids that hated being outside too but they usually were older so I could "talk" about it with them...with this one only being one, I would have to think it is more about her anxiety (like she has inside) than just not being an outdoor kind of kid....kwim?
SunshineMama 09:20 AM 07-11-2013
The mom says she loves to be outside. But, this same mom told me during the interview that she's laid back all the time, which isn't the case at all. (this am, mom makes a comment about the terrible fits she throws when she doesn't get her way... Apparently her definition of laid back came with rose colored glasses).

This is the first time I have had her outside on the ground, she is usually in the swing, but the baby needed the swing, and dcg is almost 14mos, so she needs to start playing with the other outdoor toys, which I have a ton of. I'm confused concerning what to do.
Cradle2crayons 09:28 AM 07-11-2013
The mom says she loves to be outside. But, this same mom told me during the interview that she's laid back all the time, which isn't the case at all. (this am, mom makes a comment about the terrible fits she throws when she doesn't get her way... Apparently her definition of laid back came with rose colored glasses).

This is the first time I have had her outside on the ground, she is usually in the swing, but the baby needed the swing, and dcg is almost 14mos, so she needs to start playing with the other outdoor toys, which I have a ton of. I'm confused concerning what to do.
So apparently mom probably doesn't take the child outside at home.

So really probably this is her first introduction to outside time on the ground.

Have you tried sitting down on the ground with the child and helping her to accommodate to the new routine?
Scout 10:13 AM 07-11-2013
did you have her on the grass? I know my kids HATED the grass until a bit older! If this is the case try a blanket on it. She will love being outside after a while!
youretooloud 10:13 AM 07-11-2013
I have one boy who will freak out the entire time we are outside, and he's older than your dcg. He is so loud, that I have to bring him inside because the neighbors are less than 20 feet away. They don't want to listen to it.

I was considering putting him in a stroller and leaving him near the door, and that way, maybe he'd feel like he was almost inside. But, he's not a toddler, so it would be weird to put him in there.

When our weather is nice, the doors are just open all the time, they can go in and out as they please, but when it's hot the doors are closed and we all have to be in the same place. I'm not cooling the yard, so he has to live with it. (but, we haven't really attempted to force him to stay out yet)
coolconfidentme 10:27 AM 07-11-2013
Can she color or do play doh on a mat while others are playing?
Play Care 10:59 AM 07-11-2013
I would use a stroller if the child was more comfortable with that. It would keep my hands free to help others for the most part, and I could wheel her around to change her views. I usually then work up to a blanket on the grass with some toys.

But from your second post I guess I'm confused as to if she was throwing a fit because of being outside, or because another child was in *her* swing
SunshineMama 01:25 PM 07-11-2013
Maybe I will try the stroller to keep the peace. I feel like she should be exploring the great outdoors with the rest of us, but if she's miserable then the stroller may be option #2.
Heidi 02:40 PM 07-11-2013
Maybe I will try the stroller to keep the peace. I feel like she should be exploring the great outdoors with the rest of us, but if she's miserable then the stroller may be option #2.
I'd put her in the stroller until the last 10 minutes of outside time, then get her out. Next day, 11 minutes, and so on.

Or, start with 5 if that's all you can stand. I'd start on Monday though, not tomorrow.

When it's time to go in, be sure to give the message that it's NOT because she's crying. Don't let her hear that her whining won! I know she's only 14 months, but they understand so much more than they can say.

Is this one that cries all the time inside, as well?
Familycare71 03:15 PM 07-11-2013
I had a 1 y yr old (slightly behind) do this. So loud and really raked everyone's nerves! I expected someone to call Cps! But we just kept at it and his dad started taking him out every day at home... It took a while but he now loves the outside- I did use a stroller and swing for part of the time he was out but not most...
cheerfuldom 03:24 PM 07-11-2013
I would do whatever kept her happy. If she wants to sit in a stroller and miss out, no big deal to me, especially when they are new and freaked out by playing outdoors. i had a 2 year old in care that had never been in her own backyard before. it was a long time before she was adventurous in the backyard. i had a 4 year old that would sit just outside the back door every day for weeks. I just let her. again, if she is not being disruptive, just let them do their thing.
Reply Up