Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare In An Apartment?? And What Is The Start Up Cost Looking Like For Me?
Gloria16 12:01 PM 08-05-2009
My husband is going to school in SF, Ca in Fall. I will be joining him in Dec. Because of the job market I am scared of moving and not finding a job. I had always wanted to start my own daycare. I thought this would be the perfect oppurtuinty.

My plan is to rent another apartment somewhere in the area that we live and start a daycare. I think this would be a great idea for the parents in the apartment complex. This way it would be more convenient for them to drop off the kids. I had read on www.sfgate.com that it is ok to have a home daycare in an apartment. But this is just what I had come up with so far. Please comment on the Pros and Cons of having a daycare in an apartment complex.

My other question is What do you think is the start up cost for an apartment daycare? What is the insurance range?

Thank You in advance!!
GretasLittleFriends 01:46 PM 08-05-2009
I'm confused... Will the daycare be in the same apartment that you are living in, or will you rent a separate apartment for daycare only? First off, which ever way it is you need to get permission from the landlord. Chances are licensing for an apartment daycare which is NOT your home may be a little more difficult.

Start-up costs depend on what you need. Figure $$ for a background check and license dues. Also you need to think about safety features, fire escape, fire extinguishers, proper alarms (fire and carbon monoxide). There will also be the consideration of what the children will sleep on, cots, mats, etc. Don't forget toys, videos, educational equipment, etc. Start-up costs all depend on what you want to spend.

I'm not sure what your insurance cost will be, but an idea for me in Minnesota, it was under $300/year for a $1Mil/$2Mil policy. Of course, you'll need to find a daycare policy that is willing to work with you on your set-up situation. My <$300 was for the daycare in my home.

Pros of running a daycare apartment, not in your own home. Layouts are usually open, playground on site (depending on apartment), convenience to residents.

Cons: Possible lack of yard space, landlord not approving, noise consideration for the neighbors, destruction of property (i.e. wall damage, carpet damage, out side property damage...) Just to name a few. Oh, and would you still need renters insurance for the second apartment on top of daycare insurance?

Good luck how ever you decide to do it!! Caring for kids is a wonderful profession!
Former Teacher 02:25 PM 08-05-2009
We live in an apartment complex and it states in our lease that home businesses can not be run, including childcare. This does not include things done online etc.

So you might want to check the lease before you start. Good Luck!
Chickenhauler 02:57 PM 08-08-2009
Have you checked into the cost of an apartment and all the things that go along with it in the Bay area?

IDK, but I think you'd be lucky to break even at the end of the month doing daycare.

The Bay area has many laws regarding what a property owner can and can't restrict the tennant from doing.....it's a whole different world there.
Unregistered 11:07 AM 08-12-2009
I don't know the laws there, but in Indiana the only way you can run a daycare in a residential setting if a person doesn't actually live there is by registering it as an actual place of business first. Therfore, you couldn't be considered as a home-based child care provider, but a daycare facility. So, you have to abide by facility rules as opposed to home care rules. I learned this last year when a person in my mother's neighborhood got in trouble for doing it. Even though they owned the house, no one lived there. Unless you are planning on renting a very large apartment to accomodate different age groups and can afford paying workers as well, you may want to consider a different approach.
Unregistered 09:40 AM 11-22-2010
I statred my childcare in our apart 6months ago. Yes I did have to inform the Landlord, by handing them a form which childcare Lic has. It states that a landlord can not refuse you if you want to have a daycare in your apart.(THERE IS AN ACTUAL LAW). The form also states that they can not empose any restrictions on you that are not already done to others living in that complex. They only told me that I need to get renters insurance before I start. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I'm confused... Will the daycare be in the same apartment that you are living in, or will you rent a separate apartment for daycare only? First off, which ever way it is you need to get permission from the landlord. Chances are licensing for an apartment daycare which is NOT your home may be a little more difficult.

Start-up costs depend on what you need. Figure $$ for a background check and license dues. Also you need to think about safety features, fire escape, fire extinguishers, proper alarms (fire and carbon monoxide). There will also be the consideration of what the children will sleep on, cots, mats, etc. Don't forget toys, videos, educational equipment, etc. Start-up costs all depend on what you want to spend.

I'm not sure what your insurance cost will be, but an idea for me in Minnesota, it was under $300/year for a $1Mil/$2Mil policy. Of course, you'll need to find a daycare policy that is willing to work with you on your set-up situation. My <$300 was for the daycare in my home.

Pros of running a daycare apartment, not in your own home. Layouts are usually open, playground on site (depending on apartment), convenience to residents.

Cons: Possible lack of yard space, landlord not approving, noise consideration for the neighbors, destruction of property (i.e. wall damage, carpet damage, out side property damage...) Just to name a few. Oh, and would you still need renters insurance for the second apartment on top of daycare insurance?

Good luck how ever you decide to do it!! Caring for kids is a wonderful profession!

Unregistered 08:16 PM 05-04-2011
what state are you in? I am in california and i'm hoping to do the same thing, but was not sure if apartments were ok.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I statred my childcare in our apart 6months ago. Yes I did have to inform the Landlord, by handing them a form which childcare Lic has. It states that a landlord can not refuse you if you want to have a daycare in your apart.(THERE IS AN ACTUAL LAW). The form also states that they can not empose any restrictions on you that are not already done to others living in that complex. They only told me that I need to get renters insurance before I start. Hope this helps.

daycare 08:49 PM 05-04-2011
I'm in the bay area. Right near sf
Apartment care is extremely common here. Why because as you may already know everything is over the top compact. No yards no garages and etc.

The state will allow you to have a dc in an apt. However the landlord can charge you a higher deposit as well as lower your # of children. Honestly I don't see how a DC could even cover the cost of a separate rent payment. SF is one of the most expensive places in the US to live.

A 512 sq ft apt goes for about 1250-2500 depending on the area.
I would check into apts first and check to make sure it would even be a profit in it for you.

Also call marin county LIC and ask these questions.
Unregistered 03:36 AM 04-05-2013
Is there a link to this form?

Unregistered 09:07 AM 01-07-2016
Speaking from personal experience this is a horrible idea and completely inconsiderate of the neighbors. Right now I am living in an apartment we're on the second floor above me the girl is running a daycare. From 5:30 in the morning do sometimes 7 o'clock at night it's non-stop pitter patter and ABC music and Barney. Is absolutely the most annoying thing ever and I have reported her to numerous agencies. If you have any respect for the fellow residents in the community you'll get a bottom floor unit and make sure the walls are thick in the apartments that you choose otherwise it is a total freaking nuisance! Not to be ugly just saying :-)
Controlled Chaos 09:47 AM 01-07-2016
This post is 3 years old
KristinsHomeCC 10:29 AM 01-07-2016
All great points! Also make sure you are allowed to run a home daycare outside of the home. I am in FL and we must reside where we run our home childcare. Good luck!
Nisaryn 11:59 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Gloria16:
My husband is going to school in SF, Ca in Fall. I will be joining him in Dec. Because of the job market I am scared of moving and not finding a job. I had always wanted to start my own daycare. I thought this would be the perfect oppurtuinty.

My plan is to rent another apartment somewhere in the area that we live and start a daycare. I think this would be a great idea for the parents in the apartment complex. This way it would be more convenient for them to drop off the kids. I had read on www.sfgate.com that it is ok to have a home daycare in an apartment. But this is just what I had come up with so far. Please comment on the Pros and Cons of having a daycare in an apartment complex.

My other question is What do you think is the start up cost for an apartment daycare? What is the insurance range?

Thank You in advance!!
In CA (I live in San Diego) a "home daycare" must be in your home or apartment (the one you LIVE in, it cannot be separate location) with permission from your landlord.
Unregistered 09:00 AM 02-03-2018
How do I go about starting an at-home daycare in an apartment?
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
In CA (I live in San Diego) a "home daycare" must be in your home or apartment (the one you LIVE in, it cannot be separate location) with permission from your landlord.

Michael 11:42 AM 02-03-2018
Here is California’s Childcare Regulations: https://www.daycare.com/california/
hwichlaz 08:42 AM 02-06-2018
In California you can have a daycare in an apartment. Landlord can cause a slightly higher deposit, but it still can't exceed the amount allowed by law. Landlords in California are prohibited from banning childcares in homes. It's in our health and safety code. HOWEVER, without landlord permission, you can only have 6 children. Also...in California you MUST LIVE IN your home daycare. Otherwise you are a child care center...and must have a degree and commercial property.
hwichlaz 08:45 AM 02-06-2018
No, permission is only needed for the additional school-aged children. Title 22 states that a landlord can not prohibit child care in his properties and you only need notify, not acquire permission.
Blackcat31 08:51 AM 02-06-2018
http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/Famil...nantRights.pdf
Tags:costs, start up cost
Reply Up