Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Times Are Changing - Long Story Sorry
nanglgrl 07:47 PM 01-09-2013
I've been doing this job for 10 years. I've bent over backwards, sideways, and basically contorted my body like an acrobat for so many many families.
In the last year we finished our basement and I finally got the daycare space I had always dreamed about. Most of the children enrolled are a great fit (one doesn't work out well but it's a sibling and is only here a few hours a day). Our days run pretty smooth and for the most part I enjoy my job.

I've never had much of a backbone and I my goofy ADD type nature has made it hard for me to be seen as professional by some. It's something I work on.
I read posts on here and they help me to say no, to enforce my policies and value the service I provide.
The main things I've learned this last year are that the more you value your services the more other people will, to stick to my policies and to make this job what I want it to be and what my family needs it to be instead of trying to work around other people.

I had one client who was second shift. I started watching her child about 2 years ago and it was supposed to be a short term solution for her because I don't actually provide second shift care. Short term drug out to 2 years. I finally told her I couldn't do it any more and gave her the 2 week notice. Then crazy enough her job switched her to 1st shift that started the week she would be termed but it would only be 3 weekdays, the times would change every week and there would be times she wouldn't get off until 6 or later. I firmly stated that I close at 5 pm, I don't do varied schedules and that there was no wiggle room. I felt a little bad but it was so much better than the anxiety I would have had in the past about not helping someone, especially a single mother.

I recently raised my rates and switched them so that individual rates depend on the pick up times of 3:30-5:30 (drop off no earlier than 7:30 am, no later than 9 am). If they pick up at 3:30 their rate is $125. If they pick up at 5:00 it's $150. Another member shared that was how they billed and I thought it would work great for me since most of my clients already left at 3:30 and I would love to make a little less but get off earlier. I also added more paid holidays (from 6 to 10) and am adding 5 paid personal/sick days. My clients do not get any free days except for 1 or 2 weeks a year when I'm on vacation. In addition I changed how I did my interviews and made parents aware that I would be making the final decision on who to accept into my program when I finished interviewing all of the interested parties.

I made all of these changes because of posts I read on this site and it is awesome. I had an interview the other day for 2 children. I only have one slot open but one of the siblings was an newborn and I don't accept children under 8 months. The family was great but I told them I wouldn't be able to accept the baby until August and only if I had room. I also informed them that I don't give a sibling discount. I know my rates are in the high range in my area for 5:30 pick ups (most charge a maximum.of $125 for full time). This meant the family would be paying quite a bit more than average for our area and they would have to figure out placement for the baby for a few months so I never figured they would call. They called! They chose me! I then informed them that I would be finishing my interviews by Friday and I would let them know if I would be able to accept them. It felt great!

This may not seem like a big deal to some people but in the past 10 years I have accepted almost anyone that wanted a spot unless there was major red flags. I've extended my hours and done things I would prefer not to do just to keep clients. In all of these years and probably around 100 clients I've only really ever been acknowledged by a handful. I've bent over backwards so many times and the parent usually says "I owe you one" then the next minute they break one of my policies or leave for someone cheaper. Looking back it seems it was the clients that I went out of my way for that never really appreciated me and made my life harder. The clients that really valued me never asked for "special" because they didn't want to risk loosing me as a provider. Does that make sense?
Tags:backbone, positive, rate increase, sibling discount
Up