Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Say When You Notify For First
Breezy 08:07 AM 02-03-2012
Diarreha diaper? And what do you constitute as diarreha?
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 02-03-2012
Diarrhea is OBVIOUS sick. It is acidic, burns the skin, the child will be upset and it runs down the legs. It will require a bath, treatment and after round 2(if NO other symptoms at all) going home until 24 hours AFTER last bout. If there are ANY other symptoms...send home on round 1.

Loose stools can be caused by a food they just ate or anxiety about something new in their routines.... no need to exclude at all, IMHO. Just base your policy on how the child is acting in this case.... loose stool is a secondary issue, not an illness.
Breezy 08:18 AM 02-03-2012
Thank you!
Christian Mother 08:21 AM 02-03-2012
I agree. I Catherine...I wait for the 2nd on to happen and determine the childs temperate. If they are fussy crying bc it hurts or developed a rash then I make the call to home...but normally wait for other signs then just a rash to accrue before I send home.
Cat Herder 08:25 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Thank you!
You are very welcome!!

I have a couple with chronic IBS....so if I sent them home everytime, their parents would lose their home and have to live with me..... Baking soda and bathtime are MUCH less stressful...
TBird 08:33 AM 02-03-2012
I would call a parent after 3 runny, burning, sick-smelling, over-the-top (and diaper) poops. For me....I think if they ate something that didn't agree, it would take at least 2 poops to run through their system. The 3rd one is definitely SICK in my book & a pickup would be in order.
bice99 08:37 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
You are very welcome!!

I have a couple with chronic IBS....so if I sent them home everytime, their parents would lose their home and have to live with me..... Baking soda and bathtime are MUCH less stressful...
Have the kids been tested for allergies and gluten intolerance? Celiac disease is so common (1% of the population has it and in the US, barely anyone knows).
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
Have the kids been tested for allergies and gluten intolerance? Celiac disease is so common (1% of the population has it and in the US, barely anyone knows).
Yes, actually. Thanks for asking. We worked together for almost two years ruling out everything imaginable with their ped.

The final diagnosis was IBS. They are also supposed to take Lactobacillus, three times a day, to help regulate things a bit and avoid starchy/fatty foods/stress... It is ALWAYS worse on Mondays because of all the running around on the weekends....

Mom tries to limit stress, but with church, Grandparents and errands to run, sometimes it can't all be avoided. They are expected to outgrow the majority of this, but it may be a normal part of their lives.
bice99 11:02 AM 02-03-2012
Poor kiddos. My daughter is a reflux/puker - since one week old. On meds since 6 weeks old. She's almost 10. She seems to have outgrown the puking part - where she would puke every 20 minutes for up to 18 hours when we would take her to the ER for dehydration. Compared to her sis who pukes once or twice and is done with tummy bugs. I'm glad the kids have you watching them
Tags:diarrhea, diarrhea policy
Reply Up