Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Family Daycare with Swimming Pool
Interested 03:32 PM 09-13-2007
Are there specific guidelines in regards to Family Daycare with swimming pools. I would think this would be a problem with infants and the insurance would be too much to pay. Anyone?
Unregistered 03:33 PM 09-13-2007
Since it seems many of these homes with swimming pools that offer daycare services really are run by people with swimming pools that want to supplement their income the emphesis is not on safety, but money.

For child safety, the law should not allow swimming pools on daycare property when the children are too young to swim.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 09-19-2007
We are a 1 to 1 ratio for children 3 and under for any water activity except water table, sprinkler and wading pool.
Kathy 02:37 PM 09-19-2007
I read many of the state guidelines and they all reference pools and the safety of children and water. Even then I would be somewhat afraid to let my little ones stay there unless they had some kind of web monitoring system in place. I would want to know when they are near the pool and would also watch via the internet at that time period. I may sound paranoid but I would not even buy or rent a home with a pool while my children are that young. I would worry too much.
Unregistered 12:40 PM 10-04-2007
A pool must be fenced off in such a way a child cannot get to it, and locked.
If I'm not mistaken, the play yard must be in it's seperate fencing, not adjoining the fenced pool area as well.
Unregistered 12:33 AM 10-06-2007
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Since it seems many of these homes with swimming pools that offer daycare services really are run by people with swimming pools that want to supplement their income the emphesis is not on safety, but money.
For child safety, the law should not allow swimming pools on daycare property when the children are too young to swim.
Just because a family has a pool, does not mean the provider is operating a dc just because of money. That comment is rude and makes no sense.
Unregistered 02:55 PM 10-07-2007
My Daycare has had a pool for 17 yrs. my kids would be lost without it, we have always offered a trained life guard to come in and teach swimming. Over 17 years we have taught countless children to swim, which I feel is extremely important.
Tammy 07:50 PM 10-07-2007
Here are requirements in the state of Minnesota.

1. Notify the county agency before initial use of the swimming pool and annually, thereafter;

2. Obtain written consent from a child’s parent or legal guardian allowing the child to use the swimming pool, and renew the parent or legal guardian’s written consent at least annually. The written consent must include a statement that the parent or legal guardian has received and read materials provided by the department of health to the department of human services for distribution to all family day care or group family day care homes and the general public on the human services Internet web site related to the risk of disease transmission as well as other health risks associated with swimming pools. The written consent must also include a statement that the department of health, department of human services, and county agency will not monitor or inspect the provider’s swimming pool to ensure compliance with the requirements in MN Statutes 245A.14, subdivision 10;

3. Enter into a written contract with a child’s parent or legal guardian, and renew the written contract annually. The terms of the written contract must specify that the provider agrees to perform all of the requirements in MN Statutes 245A.14, subdivision 10;

4. Attend and successfully complete a swimming pool operator training course once every five years. Acceptable training courses are:
a. The National Swimming Pool Foundation Certified Pool Operator course;
b. The National Spa and Pool Institute Tech I and Tech II courses (both required); or
c. The National Recreation and Park Association Aquatic Facility Operator course;

5. Require a caregiver trained in first aid and adult and child cardiopulmonary resuscitation to supervise and be present at the swimming pool with any children in the pool;

6. Toilet all potty-trained children before they enter the swimming pool;

7. Require all children who are not potty-trained to wear swim diapers while in the swimming pool;

8. If fecal material enters the swimming pool water, add three times the normal shock treatment to the pool water to raise the chlorine level to at least 20 parts per million, and close the pool to swimming for the 24 hours following the entrance of the fecal material into the water or until the water pH and disinfectant concentration levels have returned to the standards specified in clause (10), whichever is later;

9. Prevent any person from entering the swimming pool who has an open wound or any person who has or is suspected of having a communicable disease;

10. Maintain the swimming pool water at a pH of not less than 7.2 and not more than 8.0, maintain the disinfectant concentration between two and five parts per million for chlorine or between 2.3 and 4.5 parts per million for bromine, and maintain a daily record of the swimming pool’s operation with pH and disinfectant concentration readings on days when children are cared for at the family day care or group family day care home are present;

11. Have a disinfectant feeder or feeders;

12. Have a recirculation system that will clarify and disinfect the swimming pool volume of water in ten hours or less;

13. Maintain the swimming pool’s water clarity so that an object on the pool floor at the pool’s deepest point is easily visible;

14. Have two or more suction lines in the swimming pool;
15. Have in place and enforce written safety rules and swimming pool policies;

16. Have in place at all times a safety rope that divides the shallow and deep portions of the swimming pool;

17. Satisfy any existing local ordinances regarding swimming pool installation, decks, and fencing;

18. Maintain a water temperature of not more than 104 degrees Fahrenheit and not less than 70 degrees Fahrenheit; and

19. For lifesaving equipment, have a United States Coast Guard-approved life ring attached to a rope, an exit ladder, and a shepherd’s hook available at all times to the caregiver supervising the swimming pool.
Unregistered 03:58 PM 02-14-2008

People work to earn a living, get paid, take care of their family, well daycare homes are no different. However, I agree with you about swimming pools. If you have a swimming pool in your yard, state says it needs to be fenced in & the ladder must not be up. & the gate must be locked at all times and made inaccessible to the children at all times. If it is not fenced in then the pool must be moved off location or taken down.
Unregistered 12:34 PM 03-03-2008
I live in a very strict county in Virginia and we are forbidden to use a pool during daycare hours, even a little plastic one. We also can't use a trampoline.
Unregistered 07:28 PM 07-22-2008
In MN-a wading pool needs signed permissions-I'm not sure about filtered pools, altho my home insurance said NO-they would not cover me if I had a filtered pool-everyone is different-ask the provider for proof of insurance-and call your local daycare department and find OUT-pretty sure it's the law in MN as well-to have a cover on it and no ladder in it-we had a death of a little girl (not daycare-) and I think this just passed into a law-
Unregistered 04:35 PM 02-19-2010
Childern are drowning in bath tubs. not just swimming pools. To me where is the supervision for childern to be drowning in any water? so people need to take the blame off any body of water. Its time to blame the person thats in charge.
Crystal 11:20 AM 02-20-2010
Why would you state that family child care homes with pools are only in the profession to make money? That is a ridiculous statement.

In Ca. pools have to be fenced, with a self-closing gate if it is an in-ground pool. If it is an above ground pool and at least 5 feet tall, it does not have to be fenced but the ladder must be removed during business hours so that children cannot climb it.

If you are looking at a program that has a pool, use your common sense and good judgement. Check her licensing history....have there been any complaints regarding lack of supervision, injuries, etc? If she has a clear record, has a well-kept and well-maintained play space that is clearly safe, and is a good provider who meets your families needs then I wouldn't let the fact that there is a pool hinder me from choosing a quality provider/program.
jen 03:09 PM 02-20-2010

What a ridiculous statement!
Chickenhauler 04:31 PM 02-22-2010

You could say the same about having a blender on premises...lazy buggers, having that dangerous kitchen appliance present when a plastic cake cutting knife will do the same job.

There's a lot of things you could replace "swimming pool" with in your diatribe and have it come off even sillier. Try "lawnmower" or "boat" or "dog" or "cat" or "electrical outlets" or "motor vehicle"......all those things can be dangerous if used improperly.

But, I do think that if you're going to have a pool, especially with a daycare, it should be inaccessible (or at least really hard to access-nothing is "kid proof" 100%) by using fences, gates, etc.
poollady 08:06 PM 09-29-2010
I think our government is looking majorly on the safety of children. Building pools in public or private places requires a permit. In order to have that permit, the inspectors will check your pool area if it is safe and if it passed on the regulations they implemented. Here are some tips in building your pool safely:

Make sure your pool area is secured and safe. Put up an isolation pool fence that separates the pool area from house entrances, play area and such.

* The fence must be at least 4 feet in height
* It should have half closing and self latching gates that open outward and are out of children’s reach.
* It should have automatic door locks or alarm that can help prevent unwanted or unknown access to pool areas.
* Consider putting up a power safety pool cover or other machinery powered barrier.
* Keep toys, balls and floats away from pool area after use to prevent children from the area.
* If your using an above ground pool, remove the ladders and steps when pool is not in use.
* Don’t forget to switch off your pump.

Don’t forget to make your pool properly supervised.

* Adult must be CPR certified
* Never swim without a buddy.
* Never consider floatation devices as close supervision.
* Keep your children closely supervised.

Check your pool

* Check your pool if there’s a broken drain.
* New drain ccovers must be domed shaped, that provides more safety than flat faced pool cpovers.
* Have your pool properly check by swimming pool professionals for safety.
* Consider putting in a safety vacuum release system that shuts off automatically when a blockage is detected.
legomom922 07:08 PM 09-30-2010
There are no regulations for unliscensed providers that I am aware of. Even a fence/gate is not required in my town.
tenderhearts 08:48 AM 10-01-2010
In my state we are not allowed a pool unless it is fully enclosed and I think (?) it has to be safety checked by the state for approval. I've never really worried about it since I don't have a pool.
MMk9987 07:48 PM 11-14-2010
I can tell you that here in the state of Florida I have an in ground pool and the rules is that you have to have a four foot fence around the pool.
grommaBaimi 12:43 PM 01-27-2011
Welcome If you have any questions regarding your swimming pool, this is the place to be From filters, pumps, pool cleaner to water chemistry, structural questions, anything at all feel free to post and we will do our best to help answer any swimming pool questions
kTooley 08:53 PM 02-10-2011
Safety comes first in every swimming pool. The authority will make sure that the pool has necessary equipments for the safety of the children as well as the people who will use the place. There will be a time that they might have a surprise inspection. Please be reminded of all precautionary measures.

Kenneth Tooley
MissAnn 02:42 AM 02-11-2011

You can have a swimming pool but their are regulations such as fenced in and locked. We are not allowed to have kiddie pools at all because of bacteria.

Don't quite understand your comment. People who own swimming pools and have a daycare don't care about safety?
Unregistered 02:39 PM 05-15-2011
i was searching on craigslist for an in home daycare for my son. i went and met one lady and she was watching 5 kids under the age of 3 and she has a pool with no fence. do i report it, and if so how?
sharlan 08:59 PM 05-15-2011
i was searching on craigslist for an in home daycare for my son. i went and met one lady and she was watching 5 kids under the age of 3 and she has a pool with no fence. do i report it, and if so how?
Depends what your state requirements are regarding pools.
sharlan 09:08 PM 05-15-2011

And you know this, how? My emphasis is on safety, the money is secondary.

I have a 5 ft mesh fence that I can see through with a self closing/latching gate. The lock is kept locked at all times and the key is kept in a kitchen cupboard that has a magnetic lock, locked at all times. My pool is 52" above ground, the ladder is kept up at all times when not in use and there is also a lock to prevent it from being lowered without an adult. All pool chemicals are kept in a locked shed.

I am licensed and the pool was carefully inspected. My inspector was especially critical because our county suffered the loss of a toddler that drowned in an ice chest a few years ago.
Unregistered 04:59 PM 10-29-2011
I am in the process of becoming licensed...
I am going to be moving in 3-4 months, to a home without a pool.
Where I will begin care for children at that time...

In the mean time... This house does have a pool..
And I need it to pass inspections/codes.
I have been reading and I am confused, If you have to have a 5 ft fence,
Or if you can get a pool cover with a lock, (That supports the weight of an adult)

Like I said, I do not plan on providing care here, But I do not want to have to start my process all over again, So what are my options?
I also dont want to spend 1K on a fence either if I am moving..

Please if you know more information, Or if you are a CA daycare with a pool please let me know..

Thanks so much!...
sharlan 08:30 PM 10-29-2011
Why would you want to go through the licensing process if you are not going to be doing daycare at that home? Your license is not transferable to a new residence. You would have to have the new home inspected.

As for the pool, I believe it is an either/or situation. I will look it up and let you know.
Oneluckymom 08:48 PM 10-29-2011
I'm in Cali and my home had an in ground pool. The pool must be 5ft tall with a self closing/latching gate. The pool covers are not going to make it. Especially with insurance. They want to hear "fence". I spent close to $2,000 on mine...as it is measured per foot all the around and needs at least a two foot clearance from the lip of the pool. Hope that helps.
sharlan 09:03 PM 10-29-2011
102417 OPERATION OF A FAMILY CHILD CARE HOME (Continued) 102417
(5) All licensees shall ensure the inaccessibility of pools (in-ground and above-ground), fixed-inplace
wading pools, hot tubs, spas, fish ponds and similar bodies of water through a pool cover or
by surrounding the pool with a fence

(A) Fences shall be at least five feet high and shall be constructed so that the fence does not
obscure the pool from view. The bottom and sides of the fence shall comply with
Division 1, Appendix Chapter 4 of the 1994 Uniform Building Code. In addition to
meeting all of the aforementioned requirements for fences, gates shall swing away from
the pool, self-close and have a self-latching device located no more than six inches from
the top of the gate. Pool covers shall be strong enough to completely support the weight
of an adult and shall be placed on the pool and locked while the pool is not in use.
1. If
Unregistered 09:42 AM 02-09-2012
I really don't see a problem with having a pool at a home that is used as a daycare, so long as caution is taken, and you are responsible. I actually have a pool at my home, but I take measures to ensure that the kids never have access to it. I feel that there is already way to much government interference as it is, I think people should be allowed to make their own decisions.
Swimming Pools 06:46 PM 03-08-2012
What is the better and safety pool you can put in your very own backyard. A pool that could guarantee to keep your kids safe every time they're in the water.
sharlan 04:24 AM 03-09-2012
There is no pool that could guarantee to keep your kids safe every time they're in the water.

The only thing that will keep your kids safe in a pool is contant vigilance, never take your eyes off of them.
dave4him 04:20 PM 03-24-2012
We are not setting ours up this year. We would require a fence around it anyway, id worry to much
margh 07:32 AM 07-04-2012
Better if we avoid such daycare centers where swimming pool facilities are available and I will not recommend to any parents to take a risk. But, if you can really find a center where they provide a guarantee of child's safety you may think. It's all upto you.
Unregistered 04:55 AM 07-09-2012

The above statement is untrue. That's like saying day camps should never have pools or allow children to swim. That is a silly statement at best. Children gain valuable skills surrounding pools and pool activities with everything from learning how to safely engage in pool activities to learning to swim. I don't know where you live (state, county) but in NY for instance, it is illegal to have anything BUT a "regular" pool when operating a daycare on the premises. That is because regular pools have to meet rigorous safety standards including testing and logging the safety of the water three times a day to having the pool gated and an alarm.
Unregistered 08:01 PM 09-02-2012
you should notify your county dept of job and family services, but first be sure that the kids were daycare kids.
mariagarcia495 11:18 PM 09-13-2012
People generally keep their kids in the daycare when kids are in very small age and can't stay alone at home. These kids generally don't swim and they really don't need to learn swimming in such very small ages I don't see any need of swimming pool in a family day care.
lovemykidstoo 04:53 AM 09-14-2012
I have an above ground pool and the children NEVER swim in it and the gate is locked at all times. My insurance went up $400 a year and the daycare doesn't even use it.
dave4him 09:00 AM 09-14-2012
We dont have the insurance so we dont have it set up, wouldnt want to anyway with our own kids alone it would be nerve racking
sharlan 09:37 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by mariagarcia495:
People generally keep their kids in the daycare when kids are in very small age and can't stay alone at home. These kids generally don't swim and they really don't need to learn swimming in such very small ages I don't see any need of swimming pool in a family day care.
I totally disagree with your post. All children need to learn how to swim and be able to get themselves safely to the edge. All of my daycare kids use my pool. The only reason the 2 yo wasn't in it today is because she was asleep while the others were swimming. (I was outside, my dh and dd were inside.) I see to it that the kids learn to swim the summer after their 3rd birthday. The have to wear life jackets until they're tall enough to stand with their head above the water, but they still know how to swim by age 3 1/2.

We have a pool because our family wants one.
Angelsj 06:15 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I totally disagree with your post. All children need to learn how to swim and be able to get themselves safely to the edge. All of my daycare kids use my pool. The only reason the 2 yo wasn't in it today is because she was asleep while the others were swimming. (I was outside, my dh and dd were inside.) I see to it that the kids learn to swim the summer after their 3rd birthday. The have to wear life jackets until they're tall enough to stand with their head above the water, but they still know how to swim by age 3 1/2.

We have a pool because our family wants one.
We don't have one right now, but did for years. I agree kids need to learn to swim. All of my own kids learned to swim before they were 4. I had a 3yo 25 lbs dynamo that could swim like a little fish, thanks to daily exposure.
It can be done safely. We removed the ladder (above ground) and put on a tight cover. The pool was also alarmed, so if the water was disturbed by anything larger than 10lbs, the noise would go off (never happened)
Barbara 06:56 AM 05-15-2013
I find it very offensive for the person who says that just because I have a pool at my Child Care home, I'm in it for the money??? What rock did you crawl out from under. I spent my precious bugjet money on a pool for MY children to enjoy because I do not make enough money for a real vacation! My day Care children have there own fenced play yard and every thing else they need to stay happy and healthy. I have paid for my home, one childs college education and another child who has high medical bills and will be going to college next year. I was forced to stay home to care for my youngest and chose Child care to pay the bills. I have MANY excellent references, have raised plentey of peoples children and have done an excellent job with everything I do.
Seriously some people just PI$$$$$$$ me off.
Now to the reason I came to this site. I live in Colorado and would like to install the removeable type fence with a locking gate. I called Licenseing and was told it just had to be 5' with a lockable gate, but I'm leary about spending so much if it's not legal.
Unregistered 08:50 PM 05-16-2013
A pool must be fenced off in such a way a child cannot get to it, and locked.
If I'm not mistaken, the play yard must be in it's seperate fencing, not adjoining the fenced pool area as well.
This is true. And the insurance will usually not cover it. It's considered "inherent vice" (aka....alluring to young children, therefore dangerous). It's not even limited to daycare kids, but neighbor kids etc. You would be held liable (and many, many insurances will NOT cover it under your homeowner's policy (liability) or your daycare liability insurance: see exclusions in your policy) for any incident that occurs in a pool.
Olechka 06:10 PM 05-17-2013
An infant should not swim in a swimming pool. For children who are old enough to swim, provide parents consent forms. They must sign it before their child can swim. In the form, explain how the children will be supervised. Make a drowning plan and a plan on how to supervise children whose parents did not consent.
Cradle2crayons 07:42 PM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by Olechka:
An infant should not swim in a swimming pool. For children who are old enough to swim, provide parents consent forms. They must sign it before their child can swim. In the form, explain how the children will be supervised. Make a drowning plan and a plan on how to supervise children whose parents did not consent.
We have a 16 ft. above ground metal frame pool. My parents sign consents. We also have a very small hard plastic wading pool. I take infants swimming all the time. When we get into the big pool I always have at least two adults and an older teenage volunteer. It's always one adult to one child. ALWAYS.

We had no trouble with insurance. We have no neighbors within about three miles. It's not in a fence but the way we have it set up, the sides are 5 feet tall and the ladder stays locked up. The pump is not on the ground so it can't be climbed on either.

My state doesn't have regulations about pools but my insurance requires door alarms on all exterior doors.

I don't have a pool BECAUSE I do daycare. And I don't have a daycare because I have a pool. I think it's a wonderful physical activity and one of the best ones ever with my daughter and her psych and ADHD issues.
dave4him 04:15 AM 05-18-2013
Pool cleaning stuff is so very expensive, I never assume someone with a pool has any money at all....
tabitha 11:54 PM 05-25-2016
I don’t think having a swimming pool at daycare centres is a good idea.The kids are too young to swim and it brings up a lot of responsibilities. If you do plan on having one make sure that you keep all the safety products around the pool the whole time and ensure that you keep a mobile phone nearby so that you could call the emergency services immediately incase something happens.Here is an article that provides some safety tips for kids round the pool(http://www.soldapools.com/safety/swi...ety-tips-kids/).I hope you find it informative.
lovemykidstoo 04:22 AM 05-26-2016
It's hard to say that an insurance company won't insure you or licensing won't let you have one etc. Each company is different and each state is different.

I don't understand saying that you shouldn't have a pool. I mean, this is our home first, daycare second. If my kids want a pool or if I want one, we'll have one. We had an above the ground one at our last house and will be getting one here too. The daycare kids never used it. In our township, it has to be 4 foot high with a locked ladder. I did not have to have a fence if it met this requirement and I did not have to have a separate fenced play area either. Call an insurance company and look in your rule book for the rules on pools.
Unregistered 11:18 AM 07-31-2017
In Maryland we would like to start a day care center, but we have a backyard pond and that would be in the same area as the play space. It is three feet at its deepest. it is in a location that would look very silly with a five foot fence around it. Do I have to fill it in? Or, can i have the parents sign a waiver and just be extremely vigilant with the children while near the pond?
LysesKids 01:06 PM 07-31-2017
In Maryland we would like to start a day care center, but we have a backyard pond and that would be in the same area as the play space. It is three feet at its deepest. it is in a location that would look very silly with a five foot fence around it. Do I have to fill it in? Or, can i have the parents sign a waiver and just be extremely vigilant with the children while near the pond?
MD is one of the tougher states when it comes to licensing; AND it's still water & a danger - most states will probably treat it the same as a pool (that means a fence or you fill it in) and your insurance company might not even ok a daycare if the pond is there - you also can't have parents sign waivers stating they are ok with it if goes against a state regulation either
Second Home 07:22 AM 08-03-2017
I am also in MD and I am required to have a fenced in play area .
Second Home 07:24 AM 08-03-2017
I believe you will need a fence around it . You will not be able to just fill it in if it's considered wetlands . So you should check with the county first .
LysesKids 10:53 AM 08-03-2017
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I believe you will need a fence around it . You will not be able to just fill it in if it's considered wetlands . So you should check with the county first .
I totally forgot some of MD was wetlands & I lived there for 25 years lol
Tags:2007, bath tub, drowning, pool, regulations, water safety
Reply Up