Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Bleach Around Children
Unregistered 10:00 AM 12-31-2008
My 2 year old son attends a daycare in Lilburn, GA. Until today, I have been fairly pleased with the facility and he seems to love it. When I went to pick him up this evening, I noticed that there were several bleach marks on the back of his navy blue pants. As annoyed as I am about the pants, I am very upset that he was exposed to bleach.

Isn't there something in daycare standards or guidelines that states that chemicals should not be used around the children? In my opinion, all cleaning should be done when the children are out of the classroom as not to expose them to harmful chemicals. I am just glad that it was only his pants that were ruined and that he didn't ingest any. He sticks his hands in his mouth all of the time and could have very easily gotten very sick if he had done so after touching the bleached area. I pointed the marks on his pants to the evening teacher, who's name I do not know, and she stated that she had not noticed the marks and had no idea when it had been done.

Could someone tell me who the proper channel would be to notify? Other than bringing it up to the daycare director, I do not know what else to do. Beside, I do not think that it would do any good to report it to the director. I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide me with.
tymaboy 02:19 PM 12-31-2008
Unfortunately we are told to clean with a bleach solution. When I have my surprise visits (in home child care provider) they check to make sure that this is what I am using & they want us to clean counters & anything that the children come in contact with to clean it with the solution. They do not want us to use the bleach wipe cuz they say they do not get the surface wet enough & the surface needs to stay wet for a certain length of time after wiping it off.

I can see where you would be frustrated (I would be too) Maybe your child rubbed up against a table or something after it was just wiped off. Next time ask about it & let them know that you have bleach stains on your childs clothes then maybe they can keep more of an eye open to keep the children away from the area until it fully drys.
Unregistered 11:54 AM 01-25-2009
I work at a daycare center and we're asked to use a bleach to s*****e the rooms too, well, it's actually and bleach/water solution that's used. I personally don't use the bleach water around the LITTLE kids ever, but it's SLIGHTLY comforting to know that the amount of bleach mixed into the solution is VERY minimal so as to ensure a SLIGHTLY safer cleaning utensil around the kids. Of course bleach is always dangerous, but the intensity of the danger is lessened being that the amount of bleach in comparison with the amount of water is incredibly small.
Unregistered 01:00 PM 01-27-2009
I do believe it is required by law to use the bleach/water mixture. When i worked in the center we had to (by law) wipe down the changing table after each and every diaper changing. I suggest that you send your child to daycare in play clothing, clothing that you really don't care if it gets messed up. Lets put it this way would you rather have a little bit of bleach on your childs clothing or would you rather have your child sick all the time?
Unregistered 11:49 AM 01-31-2009
My son has to go in regular clothes because he wears uniform and so far there has been bleach on three different clothes articles. They use the bleach that comes in a bottle. I am sure it's not the proper solution. They spray it on and wipe it off and they do not rewipe with water. They do it while the 4 year olds are in the classroom. The stain on the last thing is so big it's possible for him to not only ingest it but he can also get it on his skin and it can burn him. So being that it's three different items. I am going to ask for the money for these everyday items he uses and also find the rules for my state and show it to them. I also worked in a daycare and you have to use a certain solution.
Caroline 03:46 PM 05-04-2009
Hi I am new to this website. I found it while checking for someone who wanted to put a safer alternative to bleach into local day cares in Florida. I can't imagine using bleach and do not understand why some states require that when there are other alternatives. Thanks Caroline
byoshimura 08:02 AM 06-15-2009
In California it is required for family home daycare to use a bleach/water solution diluted to a specific amount. However, it need to be night at the end of the day when all the children have gone home. This way it should be dry in the morning. So your center may simply need to change the time they clean.
FingerprintsHappen 06:28 AM 06-20-2009
We're required here in MA to use bleach or an approved disinfecting solution. Unfortunately many of the licensors only read as far as bleach,and insist that we use that. Seems contradictory to use bleach around kids, doesn't it? but if we're disinfecting the changing table between diaper changes the right way, there will still be enough bleach on the changing table to ruin the kids clothes at the next change . Eg- I change all the kids in diapers at set times during the day- 9:30 am, 11:30, 1:15, and after their naps (so usually 4:00) and also any time they have a bm in between. If i use bleach on the changer, children #2-6 will have bleached clothes. I DONT use bleach- I use another FDA approved disinfecting product because bleach sets off my asthma, and that of one of my dc children. But I have a fight with the licensor EVERY time she comes out, even though I have the exact wording of the reg highlighted for her to see that it's actually allowed in the regs to use what I do!
So while I agree w/you that bleach shouldn't be used around the kids, we're actually mandated to use it
Unregistered 03:13 AM 09-02-2009
How do I become a member
GretasLittleFriends 06:42 PM 09-02-2009
Do you mean how do you register? What I did was on the main forum page (www.daycare.com/forum) not quite 1/2 of the way down on that page there is a welcome message that says you "may have to register before you can post.

The word register is a link to sign up on the forum. Follow the prompts, enter your date of birth, read and agree to follow the rules, then come up with your user name and password.

Hope that helps!
Michael 06:47 PM 09-02-2009
To register to become a Daycare.com forum member, please go to: https://www.daycare.com/forum/register.php
Unregistered 06:53 AM 09-03-2009
I am interested in what the other FDA approved solutions would be because bleach makes me sick as well.
FingerprintsHappen 04:35 PM 09-07-2009
Anything labeled disinfectant. In order to be labeled disinfectant, it has to meet certain criteria w/the FDA etc.
I use the clorox wipes. I've also seen another solution used that they use at my gym (at a dc center) but I can't remember the name-- it's something you buy from one of those janitorial supply places online (I want to say it's baxter brand?)
AmandasFCC 07:42 PM 09-08-2009
Just a note about why bleach solutions are used, from our local licensing agency's disinfecting/sanitizing handbook:

Why is bleach generally recommended over other products? Bleach is recommended over other products because it is inexpensive, strong and relatively simple to mix. Bleach is safe to use in day care in the concentrations recommended. The compound breaks up very quikcly and the reactive part is only available for a brief period of time and then forms products (salt and water) that are no longer reactive and are safe if ingested and safe for the environment.

Bleach is easily broken down by light; that is why bleach is sold in solid colour bottles and new solutions must be made every day. Once the bleach is broken down by light and has lost its colour and odour it is no longer useful.

Hope that helps ease your minds a little. My thought is, however, if it's leaving bleach stains on your kid's clothes you may want to check that they're using the proper solution (2 tablespoons of bleach to one gallon of water).
mac60 05:26 AM 09-09-2009
I don't use bleach on anything. I either put toys in dishwasher, wash them in sink, use antibacterial wipes on them, etc., depending on what it is I am cleaning.

When we have family dinners, my mom always puts a dab of bleach in the dishwater when we wash dishes. I hate bleach, as it tends to ruin clothing if it spatters on you.

So, anyone have any suggestions for something to throw in the dishwater when washing the does the same as bleach, killing germs, but doesn't ruin clothing?
AmandasFCC 07:22 AM 09-09-2009
An alternative to bleach to use on food surfaces is quaternary ammonium or iodine. These do not protect against Norovirus though, which bleach does, and that's why bleach is preferred.

Never MIX bleach and ammonia because it causes deadly fumes.

Hope that helps
Unregistered 07:07 AM 10-22-2009
Bleach/water has been the traditional mixture used for years. There are substitutes for bleach, which truthfully is a very good disinfectant, but not the safest thing to use around people! A recent study published in September 09 shows that children just being exposed to swimming pool chlorine greatly increases their odds of developing asthma and allergies later in life. Swimming pools are kept at 1-3 ppm chlorine, and disinfection solutions of bleach water are 500 -800 ppm. So you do the math! Day Care inspectors feel more comfortable requiring bleach because they don't have to look up the commercial solution that reportedly is a disinfectant. However - all sanitizers and disinfectants have to be approved by the EPA. If the label has an EPA registration number and is labeled disinfectant, it is tested and approved. Every word on the label has to be approved by the EPA. So it is not rocket science to look for a registration number, the word disinfectant, and the time required to remain on the surface for proper kill of organisms! The ideal product would be a sanitizer (food contact approved) as well as a disinfectant. There is a product called a2b which is a different type of chlorine that works like the chlorine in bleach, except it is food contact approved, will not fade clothes, and does not smell. It has been approved by the state licensing agencies as an alternate in NC, SC, and VA. You can get your state's requirements at (http://nrckids.org/STATES/states.htm) Press your day care inspectors to get bleach out!
Unregistered 09:29 AM 10-25-2009
when it wasn't mixed right... sat there for 2 hours while the kids where sleeping and then 4 chairs didnt get wiped off and ur kid is sat in a puddle of it and because you work there you get written up for bit**ng about it?
Former Teacher 06:05 PM 10-25-2009
In TX, we have to use the bleach solution for alot of things. There is a so called 4 step process with the bleach, soap and water, clear water and then air dry. They change the system all the time so who knows what it is now.

However while I was at my former center we had to use this 4 step process on the changing tables. Well when you have to change 5 plus diapers at a time you are not going to wait for the darn thing to air dry. Plus if we did we would have the parents complain about the bleach getting on the kids clothes, not to mention on our clothes as well.

So while we would keep a bottle of the solution where state can see it, we would have a can Lysol there. We would just use that. It worked just as well.

Of course should state be there, we would do the 4 steps. However number 1 rule when state is there: NEVER CHANGE A DIAPER. They watch you like hawks
HandsOnLearning 12:17 PM 10-26-2009
its the law here to use a certain bleach/water solution

we also use peroxide to disinfect at night in the restrooms, this kills crypto!!
We buy peroxide in bulk and wash toilets and changing areas each night with themm during the day we use the bleach water solution after each toilet use and diaper change
Unregistered 08:18 PM 01-14-2010
The use of bleach in daycare is very dangerous because it is very caustic to the sinus mucosa. Every time that I pick up my grandchildren from the daycare that they attend, the smell of bleach is overwhelming my grandson's eye's are red and blinking.
They do not wait until the children are gone for the day. The clothing should be the least of our worries. We need to worry about their lungs and health. The bleach may be killing germs but it is also harming the children.
Another alarming point about the use of bleach is that when it is mixed with ammonia it forms a very harmful and sometimes lethal gas. Well, doesn't urine contain ammonia? What happens to the little children when urine is wiped up using the bleach mixture?
There is no way to regulate the proper mixing proportions in every daycare in the country. If it is going to be required to use shouldn't it be in a premixed form?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this? I am very worried about the long term effects that it will have on my grandchildren.
gbcc 06:45 PM 01-15-2010
I am not allowed to use anything other than bleach in my state. We do have the option to buy the hospital grade solution but bleech is $1 per bottle and the hospital grade is $25 per bottle. so, the choice there is obvious. I hate bleech, the smell and the stains. I have never liked it but if I am caught using pinesol or lysol instead I could be shut down.
jen 02:08 PM 01-16-2010
As a licensed provider, it is required that we spray the changing pad with a bleach/water solution after each diaper change. If the changing pad wasn't completely dry, it would be easy to accidentally damage clothing. You should see my clothes, pretty much everything has a bleach mark here or there.

If it is to the point of bothering his eyes, they may have the solution mixed too strongly. As always, if you have any questions you should approach the director/provider.
Unregistered-misol 11:35 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Bleach/water has been the traditional mixture used for years. There are substitutes for bleach, which truthfully is a very good disinfectant, but not the safest thing to use around people! A recent study published in September 09 shows that children just being exposed to swimming pool chlorine greatly increases their odds of developing asthma and allergies later in life. Swimming pools are kept at 1-3 ppm chlorine, and disinfection solutions of bleach water are 500 -800 ppm. So you do the math! Day Care inspectors feel more comfortable requiring bleach because they don't have to look up the commercial solution that reportedly is a disinfectant. However - all sanitizers and disinfectants have to be approved by the EPA. If the label has an EPA registration number and is labeled disinfectant, it is tested and approved. Every word on the label has to be approved by the EPA. So it is not rocket science to look for a registration number, the word disinfectant, and the time required to remain on the surface for proper kill of organisms! The ideal product would be a sanitizer (food contact approved) as well as a disinfectant. There is a product called a2b which is a different type of chlorine that works like the chlorine in bleach, except it is food contact approved, will not fade clothes, and does not smell. It has been approved by the state licensing agencies as an alternate in NC, SC, and VA. You can get your state's requirements at (http://nrckids.org/STATES/states.htm) Press your day care inspectors to get bleach out!

Anyone know where to buy the a2b product mentioned in this post?
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:52 PM 01-28-2010
Yes unfortunately, we are required by law to bleach surfaces. This includes tables that they eat at. We have to bleach these tables each time before we can serve their meals/snacks on them. After we spray the water & bleach solution, we are not allowed to wipe it off; It must air dry. Before it is dry one 2 yr old in particular has rubbed against it, or climbed on top before it has a chance to throughly dry. Though we watch as closely as possible to prevent this, it does happen sometimes, as the other children require care as well. Same thing for the changing pad. After we change one child's diaper, we have to spray it with the water/bleach solution before changing the next child. With 5-7 children in diapers, there is not enough time to wait for it to completely dry before changing the next one. We have had one parent complain to us about her 2 yr old's clothes getting bleached, so all we can do in his case is place him in his playpen while we're waiting for the table to dry, which to me, doesn't seem fair to this child, but that's what his parents agreed for us to do (as for the changing pad, his parents supply his own little pad to place on top of the one we have so his clothes won't get bleached). The best thing I could recommend is always send your child to daycare in old clothes, as by law we HAVE to use this bleach/water solution, so bleach stains are going to happen, as irritating as it is. Most of my clothes also have bleach stains on them (despite my best efforts to avoid it), so I understand how frustrating it can be.
Unregistered 02:54 AM 01-30-2010
I had the same problem. I picked up my daughter from daycare. She had bleach stains on one of the pant legs. I told the teacher all she said was sorry about that. Than I talked to the director she said that she will take of it. But I never got a call back from her. So, I went down to talk to her myself and found out that the bleach spray bottle was not spraying so the teacher opened the bottle and poured it, and than wiped it. But the left over spilled on the chair. And when my daugther sat down her pants was bleached. And today the teacher who was guity she gave my daughter giftcard for walmart. And I also know that she got a first warning for the director. Because she was in tears when is told me want happened. And was very sorry about it and offered to replace the pants. I told her what if the bleach got on her skin. Than? But I guess she learnt a lesson not to do that again. But I feel guity taking the giftcard. But does that solves the problem. Is my child safe?

My 2 year old son attends a daycare in Lilburn, GA. Until today, I have been fairly pleased with the facility and he seems to love it. When I went to pick him up this evening, I noticed that there were several bleach marks on the back of his navy blue pants. As annoyed as I am about the pants, I am very upset that he was exposed to bleach.

Isn't there something in daycare standards or guidelines that states that chemicals should not be used around the children? In my opinion, all cleaning should be done when the children are out of the classroom as not to expose them to harmful chemicals. I am just glad that it was only his pants that were ruined and that he didn't ingest any. He sticks his hands in his mouth all of the time and could have very easily gotten very sick if he had done so after touching the bleached area. I pointed the marks on his pants to the evening teacher, who's name I do not know, and she stated that she had not noticed the marks and had no idea when it had been done.

Could someone tell me who the proper channel would be to notify? Other than bringing it up to the daycare director, I do not know what else to do. Beside, I do not think that it would do any good to report it to the director. I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide me with.

Unregistered 03:11 PM 02-03-2010
Google it. The company listed is Athena GTX in Iowa.
Unregistered 02:00 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered-misol:
Anyone know where to buy the a2b product mentioned in this post?
a2b is a trichloromelamine based product that is awesome! A product called Chloro-Glass is easier to use and more stable as it is sold in individual packages that make about 2 gallons and don't deteriorate over time as the a2b tubs do. You can get it online at www.liquidtekllc.com It's a little pricey but worth it.
misol 08:17 AM 03-15-2010
Thanks. I will look into this.
Unregistered 07:01 AM 04-22-2010
a2b is a trichloromelamine based product that is awesome! A product called Chloro-Glass is easier to use and more stable as it is sold in individual packages that make about 2 gallons and don't deteriorate over time as the a2b tubs do. You can get it online at www.liquidtekllc.com It's a little pricey but worth it.
The information on a2b is incorrect as stated by this response from liquidtekllc. Either take this response off or include the correct information previously submitted.
sahm2three 04:23 PM 07-06-2010
I use Thieves household cleaner. It is all natural and you can drink it even, but it has been clinically proven to kill things such as black mold and MRSA! I printed out sheets about it and gave it to my inspector and told them that I refuse to use bleach and expose the children in my care to such harmful chemicals!
Childminder 04:36 PM 07-06-2010
Why do you consider bleach harmful? Is it not in drinking water, swimming pools and it's even recommended to give bleach baths to children with eczema.
sahm2three 04:45 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Why do you consider bleach harmful? Is it not in drinking water, swimming pools and it's even recommended to give bleach baths to children with eczema.
Are you kidding?! Have you ever researched it? Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet on bleach: http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/91020.htm
sahm2three 04:48 PM 07-06-2010
It SHOULDN'T be in swimming pools and in drinking water or anywhere else! If you went back and checked into it you could probably link the over use of bleach in all the things you mentioned and see it correlate with the rise in cancers and etc!!! Scary stuff!
Michael 05:07 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I use Thieves household cleaner. It is all natural and you can drink it even, but it has been clinically proven to kill things such as black mold and MRSA! I printed out sheets about it and gave it to my inspector and told them that I refuse to use bleach and expose the children in my care to such harmful chemicals!
I had a talk with a company yesterday regarding MRSA.
We are considering doing an article for Daycare.com on the Spectra24 product. It holds an EPA Category IV toxicity rating, the lowest classification available. SpectraSan 24 requires no hazard or warning statements and carries bacterial kill times as quick as 30 seconds, compared with 10 minutes for competing products.

http://www.spectrasan.com/

We would like to know anyones thoughts or concerns which could influence the article.
jen 08:05 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I don't think that the chlorine in a swimming pool is the same as chlorine bleach that is used for cleaning.

And you are right about the chlorine for eczema! Yikes! Who knew!

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...ds-with-ezcema
Golden Rule 02:12 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
I had a talk with a company yesterday regarding MRSA.
We are considering doing an article for Daycare.com on the Spectra24 product. It holds an EPA Category IV toxicity rating, the lowest classification available. SpectraSan 24 requires no hazard or warning statements and carries bacterial kill times as quick as 30 seconds, compared with 10 minutes for competing products.

http://www.spectrasan.com/

We would like to know anyones thoughts or concerns which could influence the article.
I prefer Q-128 by Franklin.

It is what we used in the ER, Ambulances, Fire Station and Helicopter. I have been using it for years, very gentle, smells nice, does not stain and no chaffed hands. I order mine from Betty Mills online. One gallon lasts me almost a year.

I guess everyone has their favorites....
Michael 07:47 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
I prefer Q-128 by Franklin.

It is what we used in the ER, Ambulances, Fire Station and Helicopter. I have been using it for years, very gentle, smells nice, does not stain and no chaffed hands. I order mine from Betty Mills online. One gallon lasts me almost a year.

I guess everyone has their favorites....
While I read that the Q-128 does sufficiently kills unwanted germs and bacteria our interest in the Spectra24 resolves around it’s non caustic use in the daycare environment. To compare:

The Q-128:

In case of contact, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. For eyes or skin, call a physician. If swallowed, call a doctor or get medical attention. Do not induce vomiting or give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Drink promptly a large quantity of milk, egg whites, gelatin solution, or if these are not available, drink large quantities of water. Avoid alcohol.

Ventilation: Use with adequate ventilation.
Eye Protection: Safety glasses are required.
Protective Gloves: Protective gloves are required.
Other Protective Clothing or Equipment: Wear clothing as necessary to prevent skin contact.

http://www.bettymills.com/product_manuals/Franklin/F248022TDS.pdf

The Spectra24:

Non-flammable
Odorless
Colorless
Non-caustic
Non-solvent
• Kills germs 20 times faster than traditional disinfectants
• Is the only disinfectant in the world that provides 24 hours of residual efficacy
• Is non-flammable, odorless, colorless, has the lowest toxicity rating of any other disinfectant
• Poses no threat to the environment

http://www.spectrasan.com/find-out-more/touch-surfaces/clinicals/

We are interested in any other products that providers use to compare in our article. Thanks for the input.
My Daycare 06:07 AM 07-08-2010
I have been using 7th generation disinfectant spray. If anyone has any info on that let me know.

I can't wait to read the article. Thanks!
Golden Rule 12:54 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
While I read that the Q-128 does sufficiently kills unwanted germs and bacteria our interest in the Spectra24 resolves around it’s non caustic use in the daycare environment. To compare:

The Q-128:

In case of contact, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. For eyes or skin, call a physician. If swallowed, call a doctor or get medical attention. Do not induce vomiting or give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Drink promptly a large quantity of milk, egg whites, gelatin solution, or if these are not available, drink large quantities of water. Avoid alcohol.

Ventilation: Use with adequate ventilation.
Eye Protection: Safety glasses are required.
Protective Gloves: Protective gloves are required.
Other Protective Clothing or Equipment: Wear clothing as necessary to prevent skin contact.

http://www.bettymills.com/product_manuals/Franklin/F248022TDS.pdf

The Spectra24:

Non-flammable
Odorless
Colorless
Non-caustic
Non-solvent
• Kills germs 20 times faster than traditional disinfectants
• Is the only disinfectant in the world that provides 24 hours of residual efficacy
• Is non-flammable, odorless, colorless, has the lowest toxicity rating of any other disinfectant
• Poses no threat to the environment

We are interested in any other products that providers use to compare in our article. Thanks for the input.
Wow!!! That sounds amazing....is that even in concentrate form?

I know ours has warnings, but once mixed with 128 parts water, risk is minimal.....but yours sounds wonderful!!

Looks like we might be making a few changes....I look forward to reading that!!!!
sahm2three 01:24 PM 07-08-2010
THIEVES HOUSEHOLD CLEANER - 14.4 FL OZ (428 ML)

Thieves household cleaner is an all natural ingredient formulation to distribute the power of therapeutic-grade essential oils while killing germs and bacteria.

It is a superior natural alternative to chemicals and cleans fantastic. The anti-microbial power of Thieves combined with a non-toxic coconut oil based cleaning solution that is safe for your whole family.

Dilute this concentrate as directed to clean dishes, laundry, windows, bathrooms, stains, floors, wood, leather, upholstery, walls, or anything you can think of!

Professional cleaning services are using Thieves Cleaner and receiving feedback from their clients that allergies are easing in their homes and offices. Employees of cleaning services are ill less often as the Thieves Cleaner helps prevent colds and flus and effective in clearing up allergies and sinus issues.

Thieves Cleaner is very gentle on the skin.
Safe for children and pets.

Experience the wonder of Thieves® Household Cleaner, as tough stains and problem areas in your home become simple and easy to clean without using harsh or abrasive chemicals. While bacteria can be dangerous, some industrial cleaners on the market pose an even larger threat to your health. Thieves Household Cleaner is a natural all-purpose concentrate that can be used in every room in your home, without the harsh chemicals. Dilute in a spray bottle or bucket, or use straight for extra strength. Dilution ratios are listed on the label for your convenience.

Dilution Ratios:
Light Degreasing 60:1
Medium Degreasing 30:1
Heavy Degreasing 15:1
Floors 100:1
Walls 30:1
Upholstery, Fabrics, Carpet Spotting 40:1
Carpet 100:1
Glass 320:1
Pots and Pans 100:1
Hand Cleaner 1:1

Notice: Before cleaning upholstery, fabric or carpet, perform a spot test in an inconspicuous location. Discontinue use in the unlikely event of staining or skin irritation. Shake bottle before using for maximum benefit.

Thieves Household Cleaner – price comparison
January 30, 2008 in Aromatherapy, Did You Know?, Find therapeutic grade essential oils, Health and Wellness, Thieves, Thieves Household Cleaner, Young Living, eco-friendly | Tags: Essential Oils, Green Home, Nontoxic Cleaner, Thieves, Thieves Household Cleaner, Young Living

How much does it cost to use Thieves Household Cleaner?

For “regular” degreasing Thieves Cleaner costs 64 cents per quart (32 oz.) when added to water as directed.

For “heavy” degreasing Thieves Cleaner costs $1.27 per quart when added to water as directed.

Thieves Household Cleaner
Other cleaners using 22 oz. bottles as an example:

Formula 409 costs $3.29
Lysol Disinfectant costs $2.89
Michael 02:17 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
Wow!!! That sounds amazing....is that even in concentrate form?

I know ours has warnings, but once mixed with 128 parts water, risk is minimal.....but yours sounds wonderful!!

Looks like we might be making a few changes....I look forward to reading that!!!!
Golden Rule - I don't believe it sells in a concentrate.

We are sure that the many other natural disinfectants have killing power. We are also interested in the "after kill" time periods of a product that is non-caustic. It appears many companies use botanical disinfectants based upon Thyme Oil or Coconut Oil. 7th Generation uses Thyme Oil.

Our quest is to find an agent that is non-toxic and yet has a high residual value so to retain resistance to re-infection "after" cleaning.

Here is some more info on the product we are investigating.
White Paper Executive Summary - SpectraSan 24

EPA-registered Disinfection Claims
http://www.spectrasan.com/epa-regist...tion-claims-2/
Unregistered 04:24 PM 08-10-2010
There is an alternative to the bleach solution that is required by law. Bleach is dangerous no matter how diluted it is. "Thieves" Household cleaner is a all natural, essential oil based cleaning solution. Safe to use around children and pets, it is non toxic and environmentally friendly. "Thieves" Household cleaner smells clean and fresh. And it won't ruin clothes. I had to have my two boys in day care so I understand how difficult it can be. We all want the best for our kids and we want them to grow up in a toxin free environment.
Jewels 04:32 AM 08-16-2010
I live in MN, and my county has a form, we can fill out to use a different product other than bleach/water, Just have to have it signed by the county, and available at all times.........I do use the bleach water mix though, When children are around, I only use it, in between diaper changes, and on the toilet seats and handles, Otherwise I do all my cleaning after they leave, I am going to look into the Spectra24 though.
Unregistered 03:15 AM 09-15-2010
Look on the center for disease control and they have several recipes for various jobs. Daycares typically use 1/4 per gallon and it is made fresh every day. good luck

AmandasFCC;14045]Just a note about why bleach solutions are used, from our local licensing agency's disinfecting/sanitizing handbook:

Why is bleach generally recommended over other products? Bleach is recommended over other products because it is inexpensive, strong and relatively simple to mix. Bleach is safe to use in day care in the concentrations recommended. The compound breaks up very quikcly and the reactive part is only available for a brief period of time and then forms products (salt and water) that are no longer reactive and are safe if ingested and safe for the environment.

Bleach is easily broken down by light; that is why bleach is sold in solid colour bottles and new solutions must be made every day. Once the bleach is broken down by light and has lost its colour and odour it is no longer useful.

Hope that helps ease your minds a little. My thought is, however, if it's leaving bleach stains on your kid's clothes you may want to check that they're using the proper solution (2 tablespoons of bleach to one gallon of water).[/quote]
Unregistered 01:53 PM 08-30-2012
i am a regulator in nc for daycare centers. after reading some of the posts, i feel obliged to correct some of the misinformation. first off, bleach is not very toxic at all if mixed in the proper strengths. for disinfectant use, i.e. changing tables, toilets, and the like, the solution should be 500-800 ppm. there is a simple recipe for this, basically 1/4 cup of regular strength household bleach to a gallon of water. for sanitizer, the bleach solution used on food contact surfaces, i.e. tables, counter tops, and dishes after they have been washed and rinsed, the recipe is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. i have been regulating daycares for 22 yrs and have never known anyone to suffer ill affects of properly mixed disinfectant or sanitizer solutions. it is best to purchase test strips that you can check the strength of the solutions with, but the above recipe should get you close nearly every time. keep in mind on sanitizing solution, there is potential for residual buildup and the gallon container may have to rinsed of the chlorine solution ever so often.

hope this helps.
Unregistered 09:56 AM 08-31-2012
Anyone who believes the number one killer in WWI is safe in any measure is not very well educated about chemicals. Anything with "chloro" in the name is not safe in any use. Chances are it is also in your laundry soap, dish soap, automatic dishwasher detergent and many of the other cleaners in your house. I am a Melaleuca customer and they have safe products for every cleaning job. They work better, too. They have a disinfectant that is as powerful as anything on the market, comes in a concentrated form and is a cost friendly. The product is called Sol-U-Guard. It also uses Thyme, but has a unique oil in it called melaleuca oil. Many of you may know it as tea tree oil. It also has a anti bacterial effect.

On the bottle it reads: Kills 99.999% of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus in 1 minute. Kills 99.9% of Enterobacter aerogenes in 30 seconds. Disinfects against Slmonella enterica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus pyogenes, MRSA, Influenza A, Poliovirus type 1, Rhinovirus type 37, and Roavirus in 10 minutes. Disinfects againt Influenza A virus(swine) in 1 minute.

EPA reg. no. 66251-2, EPA Est. No. 66251-ID-003, or 66251-ID-001, or 66251-TN-001

Also I would like to add that cancers in children is on the rise and is in line with the increased uses of toxic chemicals in daycares and homes. Do the research and check the numbers. Dont just say it isnt true. I have decided to be a stay at home dad, to protect my children. Since they have been staying at home with me and we have converted our home to all natural and non toxic cleaners our kids are almost never sick. I myself never get sick any more. Lysol has also been linked to ADD as well as asthma. One child went into a semi comatose state everytime it was used around him. Here is a staggering number. Since WWI the rate of cancer has risen from 1 in 50 to 1 in 2 people today being diagnosed. 1.5 million people are poisoned by home cleaning products each year. MOST are children. These products KILL germs and everything else that comes in direct contact with them. They dont save people from anything. germs are natural and our bodies fight the infection off naturally. With chemicals toxifying our bodies, it is actually harder for our bodies to fight off the infections and heal. Chlorine had to be put somewhere and they decided it was a good idea to put it in water to kill bacteria. And if it is a small enough amount, yes our bodies can flush it out over time. However, constant ingestion and exposure doesn't allow a flushing out to happen. IN FACT many hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and daycares across the country have stopped using chlorine bleach. It causes sickness through the fumes. Look at the label! Look at the precautions. DO NOT breath vapors. Not possible without a respirator or oxygen tank. Do NOT get in contact with skin. Not possible if you touch any surface, rag, sponge with it on it or without using gloves as you touch the cap or jug. The vapors are the worst part and almost impossible to avoid. They cause problems for the lungs and eyes. Just say NO to chlorine, phosphates, and any other harmful chemicals. It sounds like the regulators are just LAZY to me. Be Well my friends.
lindysmiles 11:40 AM 08-31-2012
so I see this thread is a couple of years old. what is everyone currently using? Still the bleach/water solution, or the spectrasan 24? Michael, do you have that article still on Spectrasan 24? I checked out their website, but want to know it's worth its cost before I buy! Thanks! Signed, Newbie.
Froreal3 03:32 PM 08-31-2012
We use a bleach/water solution.

I read the thread and had a question for those who say, "clean when children are gone." For those of us who are hourly workers at centers and whose students stay 'till closing, when are we supposed to clean? OT is not a consideration.

The best I've ever been able to do is clean the very last 20 minutes of the day. The children are moved to one area (ok, hard to do in a 1 year old classroom; older kids are easier) like the library center and the rest of the room is cleaned. The solution should be so diluted that it is not harmful anyway.
Countrygal 04:38 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
My thought is, however, if it's leaving bleach stains on your kid's clothes you may want to check that they're using the proper solution (2 tablespoons of bleach to one gallon of water).
This was my thought, also. At the concentrations we are recommended to use - 1/2 T/qt on non-food surfaces and 1/4 t. per quart on food surfaces, it would be hard for the children to get their pants bleached. It could ONLY occur with the stronger solution, which is the one used to clean diapering areas or floor spills, etc.

Does anyone know if the sinitizing agent that restaurants use qualifies?
HappyHearts 09:10 AM 09-03-2012
Our health department authorized the use of Scrubbing Bubbles for the toileting and changing table areas. We are also able to use OdoBan for our sanitizer and disinfectant instead of the bleach water solution if we wish.
Unregistered 12:25 PM 09-19-2012
I am very concerned about this. I have read about the negative effects of inhaling bleach fumes.

I have a three year old son who goes to daycare and his father became concerned about the strong smell of bleach in the room when he picked up our son. I brought it to the director's attention and said that I was not upset about it, just concerned about the kid's health. She told the teacher who I was, by name, and said what I was upset about. The teacher then tried to get into a verbal brawl with me about how the solution is state regulated. My argument is not against the use of the bleach, or against the solution strength. I simply wanted them to use the bleach when the children are NOT in the room (such as when they are outside playing or after they have all left for the night). I see that one comment stated that staying over time to clean the rooms is out of the question (which is also what the teacher at my son's school said). That is completely ridiculous. I have stayed and finished up my job (unpaid) at many places of work. I am a high school English teacher that gets paid from 8am- 3pm and THATS IT. That does not count the five extra hours I spend each day grading papers and preping for class. These are small children, if you are interested in working with them YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THEIR HEALTH AND WELLBEING. PERIOD.

Clean the classrooms with bleach when the kids are not in the room. End of story.
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 09-19-2012
I am very concerned about this. I have read about the negative effects of inhaling bleach fumes.

I have a three year old son who goes to daycare and his father became concerned about the strong smell of bleach in the room when he picked up our son. I brought it to the director's attention and said that I was not upset about it, just concerned about the kid's health. She told the teacher who I was, by name, and said what I was upset about. The teacher then tried to get into a verbal brawl with me about how the solution is state regulated. My argument is not against the use of the bleach, or against the solution strength. I simply wanted them to use the bleach when the children are NOT in the room (such as when they are outside playing or after they have all left for the night). I see that one comment stated that staying over time to clean the rooms is out of the question (which is also what the teacher at my son's school said). That is completely ridiculous. I have stayed and finished up my job (unpaid) at many places of work. I am a high school English teacher that gets paid from 8am- 3pm and THATS IT. That does not count the five extra hours I spend each day grading papers and preping for class. These are small children, if you are interested in working with them YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THEIR HEALTH AND WELLBEING. PERIOD.

Clean the classrooms with bleach when the kids are not in the room. End of story.
I understand your concern but my state mandates me to wipe the diaper changing area as well as the eating area off immediately after the children are done using it with a bleach/water minture.

I can't very well not clean just because I have kids here and I surely don't send them all out of the room as I am only one person and I need to be within sight/hearing of the kids at all times.

I think if the state mandates us to use it and a parent is concerned about it, take it to the state and ask them to change their policies.

I HAVE to follow state regulations so my hands are tied.
daycare 02:04 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I understand your concern but my state mandates me to wipe the diaper changing area as well as the eating area off immediately after the children are done using it with a bleach/water minture.

I can't very well not clean just because I have kids here and I surely don't send them all out of the room as I am only one person and I need to be within sight/hearing of the kids at all times.

I think if the state mandates us to use it and a parent is concerned about it, take it to the state and ask them to change their policies.

I HAVE to follow state regulations so my hands are tied.
I just recently read that in CA they have allowed DCP and Centers to now use bleach alternatives because they were able to link bleach to asthma.

BUT most of the agents on that list will still cause breathing disorders, so I don't really understand what they accomplished.....
LK5kids 04:44 AM 11-14-2012
I hate bleach too. I wish our state would change its policy on bleach....yuck! The only other disinfectant allowed is an expensive ammonia solution. I can't find the name of it right now. I believe hospitals use it. I have no problem using it if I find out it is safer. I suspect it's just as bad as bleach, except it won't ruin clothes. Did I mention I HATE bleach?
Are there any less toxic or green disinfectants anyone knows of? Thanks~
itlw8 06:22 AM 11-14-2012

Who will be with the children when the room is being cleaned?

the teacher changes a diaper then escorts the whole class out of the room to stay alone? while she goes back in and cleans the changing area then goes gets the class to change the next child and they then all leave again.

Not going to work is it ? Tables have to be cleaned before and after eating also. Most childcares do not have a janitor like a high school. Plus most already spend off hours planning the curriculum unpaid. Add to that they are not salary and often make not much more than minimum wage. If they stay to clean the employer is required to pay them. Federal and state law .

What does that mean to parents ? higher rates and they still have to sanitize during the day.

Question Chlorine is what bleach is. The same thing is used in swimming pools and to clean city drinking water. So I guess you NEVER go in a pool or hot tub and only use bottled water to drink and bathe in ?
SunshineMama 07:56 AM 11-14-2012
I didn't read all of the responses, (I'm sure someone else already stated this), but some illnesses are not killed by Lysol, only bleach. Like HFMD, for example.
itlw8 07:28 AM 11-15-2012
You can't use lysol on any mouthable surface around children You can clean the floors but not toys. It contains pine tar that causes cancer.
Unregistered 11:12 AM 11-19-2012
The reason for use of bleach is that after it sits for awhile it is broken down into a salt solution that is not harmfull to children!!!!!! Other chemicals do not break down into a harmless salt solution and needs to be wiped off before use to get the chemical off whatever it is its on. I would not want chemical residue left on my tables that my children are gonna eat off of.
Jenniferdawn 09:25 PM 11-19-2012
This from California recommendations:

Recommendations for Disinfecting and Sanitizing without Bleach
The San Francisco Asthma Task Force is recommending the use of disinfectants and
sanitizers that are safer for asthma. The recommended products do not contain bleach,
and meet the state requirements for disinfecting and sanitizing in your child care center.
The following list provides a basic overview of the products. More detailed information
about the products that were tested for this project is available in the full report (See
“Resources” for how to access the report).
For disinfecting hard, non-porous surfaces such as diaper changing tables, the
recommended alternative is a ready-to-use disinfectant with accelerated hydrogen
peroxide as the active ingredient.
For sanitizing food contact surfaces such as snack and meal tables, the
recommended alternative is also ready-to-use and bleach-free.
The Task Force is also recommending a floor cleaner with accelerated hydrogen
peroxide as the active ingredient.
Unregistered 12:13 PM 04-05-2013
Clorox bleach has changed it's concentration from 6.25% to 8.25% They will soon discontinue the 6.25% regular strength bleach. What does this mean for child care? It means that if your end product for sanitizing and disinfection needs to be 200 ( max. sanitizing solution for mouthed toys and food contact surfaces) and 800 parts per million (ppm) for diaper changing surfaces, the 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water is too much! 2 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water will create an end product of 800 ppm for diaper changing surfaces. National Resource Center and Caring For Our Children will not longer give a formula for mixing bleach. Check with your health department to find a safe formula and demand American Academy of Pediatrics make a statement about what is a safe level for the end product for bleach to be used around children in child care.
Starburst 09:38 AM 04-06-2013
It could just mean that they used too much bleach in a homemade bleach solution but not that it was direct contact with pure bleach- they are supposed to make it fresh everyday because the water eventually dilutes the bleach. One of my ECE instructors who is also the director of the college's preschool program said that when she did FCC one time she put too much bleach in her solution and one of her DCKs got bleach stains on their sleeves. One of my other ECE teachers said that if you can smell the bleach you used too much.

In some states it is mandatory to use a bleach solution or something with bleach due to sanitation standards. Sometimes using sanitary wipes with bleach can also stain clothes.

A possible fix- get a sharpie or permanent marker (fabric markers may work too) that matches the color of the shirt (black has the best results) and try to fill in the bleach stain with the sharpie.
Play Care 09:00 AM 04-07-2013
IME, if the bleach solution is causing clothing to be discolored, then it's not being mixed with enough water. While I don't love bleach, when mixed appropriately it doesn't leave an odor. In my state I am required to use bleach/water solution after every diaper change, and it's not feasible to clear everyone out of the room. The only other approved disinfectant in my state is a hospital grade herbicide and very expensive. I am legally not allowed to use anything else.

As for "safe" alternates - I would be very careful when using them around children. Years ago the group home I managed switched from bleach and water to a "natural" disinfectant after the staff complained about the dangers of bleach. After the folks had left for their day programs I sprayed down the bathrooms per policy and left them to air dry. Another employee came in and used the bathroom without my knowledge and received severe burns to her legs and buttocks. Back to bleach we went.
Lavender 09:18 AM 04-07-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
when mixed appropriately it doesn't leave an odor
Not necessarily. We had a baby vomit in our room when norovirus was going around in our area. I cleaned everything possible in the room with correctly mixed bleach solution (and wiped everything dry). When I was done the owner commented that she could actually smell how clean it was in the hallway with the door closed, meaning she could smell some of the bleach.

Personally, I would take a correctly cleaned room using bleach solution over my kid being exposed to norovirus anyday. None of our other kids caught it then, but the baby's mom did at home with her.
Play Care 05:27 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
Not necessarily. We had a baby vomit in our room when norovirus was going around in our area. I cleaned everything possible in the room with correctly mixed bleach solution (and wiped everything dry). When I was done the owner commented that she could actually smell how clean it was in the hallway with the door closed, meaning she could smell some of the bleach.

Personally, I would take a correctly cleaned room using bleach solution over my kid being exposed to norovirus anyday. None of our other kids caught it then, but the baby's mom did at home with her.
When I do a quick spray of the changing table, I don't notice a bleach smell(after it dries). The type of deep disinfection you performed, I probably would - but that's also the type of thing I would get the kids out of the room/area for also. I do think on a daily basis if I were to walk into a day care and smell bleach that strongly I would question why that was being done with the children present. But I'm also with you in the sense that I would much rather they use something proven to kill certain typical day care germs then some of these products that have not been proven. I still cringe over how badly my co-worker was burned by supposedly "safe" cleaner.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 04-08-2013
The use of bleach in daycare is very dangerous because it is very caustic to the sinus mucosa. Every time that I pick up my grandchildren from the daycare that they attend, the smell of bleach is overwhelming my grandson's eye's are red and blinking.
They do not wait until the children are gone for the day. The clothing should be the least of our worries. We need to worry about their lungs and health. The bleach may be killing germs but it is also harming the children.
Another alarming point about the use of bleach is that when it is mixed with ammonia it forms a very harmful and sometimes lethal gas. Well, doesn't urine contain ammonia? What happens to the little children when urine is wiped up using the bleach mixture?
There is no way to regulate the proper mixing proportions in every daycare in the country. If it is going to be required to use shouldn't it be in a premixed form?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this? I am very worried about the long term effects that it will have on my grandchildren.
IF the bleach solution is used at the proper mixing concentrations (10 parts water, 1 part bleach) there should be absolutely no problem regarding health issues. I used to work in an Ear, Nose and Throat doctors office and we cleaned every single day with a bleach concentration as it was much cheaper than the commercial bleach mixture. If it had been any problem regarding sinus mucosa, our doctor would never have allowed us to use it in his practice.

Urine does not contain ammonia. It is often said that urine has an odor of ammonia, which is usually due to an infection. There are no dangers if bleach comes into contact with urine.
Unregistered 05:18 AM 11-03-2019
The main problem is your worker is using too strong of solution. They pour too much. Often centers use economy size big huge bottles of bleach, 1.5 Teaspoons per spray bottle is a very small amount to measure properly and not go over. ( We use an eye dropper) We also use color changing test strips in our solution to be sure it is the right concentration. A log is required, ask to see it. As it has to be mixed fresh every day, the workers "eye ball" it and or think if a little is good, a lot should be great! When mixed properly, it shouldn't be strong enough to bleach clothing or smell at all. When there is contaminated water from disasters bleach is even used in very very very small concentrations to make drinking water safe! They can wipe a surface dry after 2 mins of contact. I keep a timer set at 2 mins and always dry off the change mat before the next kid. I also spray my snack table, set the timer and stand gaurd in front of it for 2 mins. Or spray right before we head out the door to recess and it's air dried by the time we come back in.
Tags:2008, allergies, ammonium, asthma, bacteria, bleach, chlorine, clean, disinfectants, germs, iodine, sanitizer, solution
Reply Up