Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>The Daycare Bus
happymom 03:52 PM 06-10-2016
My child is moving up to the pre-k class in August and they have a "short bus" and take field trips. I am excited for him and don't want to exclude him but will my daycare think I'm bat**** crazy if I request that he uses a car seat on the school bus?

I really try not to be a difficult parent but he seems too young to ride on a school bus without a carseat to me.
Mike 04:32 PM 06-10-2016
Does the bus have seatbelts? If not, a carseat won't make a difference. Buses are designed to be pretty safe in the event of an accident.
Thriftylady 06:05 PM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Does the bus have seatbelts? If not, a carseat won't make a difference. Buses are designed to be pretty safe in the event of an accident.
That was my question as well. When DD went to HS, they didn't use car seats but their small bus had seat belts. I am guessing they will want to keep things the same for all kids. The buses really are safe.
Leigh 08:09 PM 06-10-2016
Here's a link to check out: http://www.americanschoolbuscouncil....ave-seat-belts
sharlan 09:03 AM 06-13-2016
Ask what their policy is.

Our local school district has built in "car seats" for littles, but the bus drivers don't use them. They expect the littles to stay seated.

I had a 3 yo that went to a special ed preschool and was shocked to see the 3 yos not strapped in.
daycarediva 09:48 AM 06-13-2016
Our school does not bus for UPK, but the private prek we used did. They had a carseat designated for each child and they were strapped in by an adult.

I am a car seat safety nut, we take appropriate precautions or my kids don't go.
happymom 09:05 AM 06-14-2016
I don't know if the bus has seat belts. There is a flyer hanging up in the school regarding upcoming field trips they are taking the kids on this summer. It says the kids must be 4 years old (mine is), but it is also directed towards the older age group.

His school has "leap frogs" ages 3-4 and "butterflies" ages 4-5. My boy is still a leap frog, so I need to find out if they plan to take him on the field trip. I feel better about him traveling on a school bus when he is 5.

He rides rear facing in my car, but he would LOVE to ride the school bus and I'd hate for him to be left out. I recently had asked that he be moved to the butterfly classroom as soon as possible because they had a dingbat teacher in his classroom and he was being bullied by another student. Now dingbat quit and there is a very good, experienced teacher in his class, he is fine and happy in the leap frog class.

I've never seen the inside of the bus though, that's probably the first step......
racemom 12:27 PM 06-14-2016
Our local school transports preschool kids, and the bus is designed to have 5 pt harness seat belts and molded seats.
Unregistered 05:08 PM 06-14-2016
Something to keep in mind that buses are designed to be safe. In the event of an accident or fire a quick exit is a must. Children in a carseat will hold up the evacuation while someone is unhooking them and they may be the last be removed from the bus while they adults get as many kids off as they can before hand.
happymom 11:31 AM 06-15-2016
I know buses are safe for school age children, I'm just worried about my 28 pound little preschooler. He's not even big enough for a booster yet and most kids who ride school buses are.
PalmaHall 06:18 PM 06-18-2017
There was this time I saw a guy driving his son, about 4 or 5 years old, on a pickup. He's has a suspension lift kit installed and I was actually appalled. I mean, a car is a car, it's purpose is serve as long as it can get you to places but I'm kinda worried with the safety if a vehicle looks too intimidating. I don't even know if it has a child-friendly seat inside.
happymom 09:23 AM 07-20-2017
Sorry to revive this old thread...

My kid is now starting kindergarten and will be riding the bus daily to elementary school from daycare and back to daycare after school. It's about 1 mile away.

The school bus has lap belts. I met with a CPST who said lap belts are never safe, even on school buses. A child should either sit on the seat of the bus or be restrained in a harness.

Prior to meeting with the CPST, I talked to an assistant director who said that they require all the kids to wear the seat belts.

I don't REALLY know who's right. I know that school buses are generally pretty safe. I'm NOT worried about my child getting up out of his seat, my worry comes from the risk of a major accident. I don't want to be that parent who keeps my kid in a bubble. I know there are risks in life. Should I just let him ride the bus in the seatbelt? Should I ask them to allow him to not wear the seatbelt? Or should I send him a harnessed car seat that can be installed on the bus?

I let him go on the bus for the field trips, and he wore a seatbelt.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:40 AM 07-20-2017
I read somewhere that they are putting seatbelts in buses now and how they could be more harmful than helpful, but cant remember where i read it. My son rides the bus and there are no belts. I would imagine that you will either have to follow whichever rule they have or not have him ride the bus. Our bus does not allow carseats and if the rule is to wear the belt, everyone wears one, no exception. If your school allows exceptions, I would do what you feel is best, but i kind of doubt they will let him be unbuckled while everyone else is buckled. And the car seat would be a big no here, bc the bus driver would be responsible for getting him in and out, which is a liability, but would also be impossible for her to handle with the 18-20 kids that ride. If they require him to be buckled, then maybe teach him how to safely buckle and unbuckle and the proper way to sit (on your bottom). Otherwise, if it makes you too nervous, I would figure out how to arrange alternate transportation.
Cat Herder 11:45 AM 07-20-2017
Is your child attending public school?
happymom 11:50 AM 07-20-2017
Public school, but will be taking the private bus owned by the daycare.
happymom 11:53 AM 07-20-2017
Thinking over it more, I feel like it's NOT really a big deal.

If they want him to wear a seatbelt -- the chance that he will be injured due to wearing a lapbelt only seems very slim. I reviewed the NHSTA stance on school buses and seat belts and couldn't find compelling information.

Basically school buses are safe. School buses under 10,000 GVWR are required to have seat belts.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:07 PM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by happymom:
Public school, but will be taking the private bus owned by the daycare.
Sorry! I thought you meant the big yellow school bus! I would do whatever you feel is best! It is so hard when they go to kindy (my ds starts this year). The first time I put my son on the bus, I had a mini panic attack, but it gets easier!
Cat Herder 12:14 PM 07-20-2017

IMHO, The risk of his being in an accident is far outweighed by the risk of him being bullied. Being singled out from the herd so early in his public school career can have long lasting effects. Kids can be so cruel.

Gameface, Mom. You got this.
happymom 12:32 PM 07-20-2017
I am pretty sure it's a class C bus, it's about half the size of the normal school buses (a short bus) -- It's yellow and looks exactly like normal school buses but it says the daycare name and phone number on it.
happymom 12:34 PM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

IMHO, The risk of his being in an accident is far outweighed by the risk of him being bullied. Being singled out from the herd so early in his public school career can have long lasting effects. Kids can be so cruel.

Gameface, Mom. You got this.
You're right. It's a huge thing I have considered....like if I asked the daycare to use a harnessed seat I provided -- I've asked his thought on it as well, he absolutely does not want to use a car seat on the school bus -- and I don't blame him.

He still rides harnessed in the car - and begs for a booster...lol...but I'm keeping him in a harness because I know it's safer at his age and weight.
Tags:field trip, transportation
Reply Up