Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Improving Child Care with Technology (Survey)
Sous 02:22 PM 03-26-2017
Dear Parents,

After receiving the permission of the Admin and Owner of Daycare.com (Michael), I am posting my request for your help here.

My name is Samira and I am doing my research project on a new technology that connects the parents with the child while he/she is in the child center and with the child care provider at the same time. We believe that the continuous involvement of the parents has a positive impact on the development of the child.

The connection happens through a mobile app that parents can have access to by entering a Security Code (to ensure the safety of the child). This App should increase transparency, make child centers safer, and keep families connected.

2. The same application has an activities log feature for child care providers to record the daily activities of the child. Instead of getting a paper record at the end of the day, the provider will enter the information on the application for the parent to review; the sleeping pattern, the mood, the food etc. The parent and child care provider can view patterns over time to ensure the best possible support with the development of the child.

3. The application has the feature to send and receive instant messages from the parents, to make sure that the parent is connected at all times.

Your answers to this survey are very valuable to get results and data that can be shared with centers all over the US.

Thank you in advance for taking this survey. If you have any questions or you would like to share anything else, please don't hesitate to do so.

Kindly click on the link below or copy paste it in a new window:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...wform?c=0&w=12
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 03-27-2017
* For the parents it offers the following:
- A Live video streaming of the child center. On their smartphones, parents can access this live stream through a security code to watch their child play. This will ensure, safety, transparency and improve the connection between the parents and the Child Care Provider anytime of the day.

Yikes!!! So when parents log onto their phone to live-stream video of their child, they are also able to see all the children in the center??
Laurie 05:45 PM 03-27-2017
Privacy of all children in my care is a big issue for me! Live streaming video cameras would not happen in my home daycare.
AmyKidsCo 08:51 PM 03-27-2017
I wouldn't be comfortable with live stream videos of my home either. First because of the privacy/confidentiality of the other children and families, and also because I don't have a separate child care space so my family's privacy would be at risk if cameras were left on after child care hours.

Either parents trust me or they don't. If they trust me they don't need live streams. If they don't their child should be enrolled somewhere else.
Snowmom 06:16 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by Sous:
Dear Parents,

After receiving the permission of the Admin and Owner of Daycare.com (Michael), I am posting my request for your help here.

My name is Samira and I am doing my research project on a new technology that connects the parents with the child while he/she is in the child center and with the child care provider at the same time. We believe that the continuous involvement of the parents has a positive impact on the development of the child.

The connection happens through a mobile app that parents can have access to by entering a Security Code (to ensure the safety of the child). This App should increase transparency, make child centers safer, and keep families connected.

2. The same application has an activities log feature for child care providers to record the daily activities of the child. Instead of getting a paper record at the end of the day, the provider will enter the information on the application for the parent to review; the sleeping pattern, the mood, the food etc. The parent and child care provider can view patterns over time to ensure the best possible support with the development of the child.

3. The application has the feature to send and receive instant messages from the parents, to make sure that the parent is connected at all times.

Your answers to this survey are very valuable to get results and data that can be shared with centers all over the US.

Thank you in advance for taking this survey. If you have any questions or you would like to share anything else, please don't hesitate to do so.

Kindly click on the link below or copy paste it in a new window:

https://goo.gl/forms/XdlCwXz6lVmWmtaW2
How exactly does this "make child centers safer"?
Febby 06:13 PM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
* For the parents it offers the following:
- A Live video streaming of the child center. On their smartphones, parents can access this live stream through a security code to watch their child play. This will ensure, safety, transparency and improve the connection between the parents and the Child Care Provider anytime of the day.

Yikes!!! So when parents log onto their phone to live-stream video of their child, they are also able to see all the children in the center??
There is a center chain that I know of that has a similar setup, and the parents are only able to watch their child's room, but they are able to see all the children (and staff and whoever) in the their child's room.
Mike 12:36 PM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Febby:
There is a center chain that I know of that has a similar setup, and the parents are only able to watch their child's room, but they are able to see all the children (and staff and whoever) in the their child's room.
And that is exactly why I wouldn't allow it. I would ask the parent how they would feel if all the other parents, and whoever they shared with, could see and maybe even hear everything.
nannyde 07:14 AM 03-31-2017
-They can download or share photos and videos of their children

Holy smokes.

If a child is in a group, how are you going to prevent parents from posting other people's kids in their videos?

This is SO dangerous. The parents can give their security code to anyone. Anyone can do whatever they want with the video feed.

Just imagine Uncle Earl watching a WHOLE classroom of little girls every day all day. Wouldn't take long before he knew their schedule. He can share the code with hisbuddies that REALLY like little girls. They all can tape and post and share anything they want to whoever they want.

What a perfect breeding ground for pedophiles.

You can make parents sign whatever you want but they will do whatever they want once they have access.

Remember... one in 28 kids have a parent in jail or prison. They were parents BEFORE they went to jail or prison.

Just because someone is a parent it doesn't mean they are safe to have video access to other people's children.

I do see a cottage industry creeping up. Sell your kids access code and you can earn their tuition if you know someone who knows someone.
Mike 07:30 AM 03-31-2017
Interesting timing. I recently got an ad on my cell phone email program for a similar, but much better, device. (hereofamily.com)
Now that one makes sense. GPS tracking but no video. I would allow that in my daycare, but not anything with hidden video capabilities.

OP
Your monitoring idea could be a good idea for some parents in some cases, but definitely NOT in a daycare, or any other situation where other children are involved. It's breach of privacy.
daycarediva 10:16 AM 03-31-2017
Yup no video.

Nanny, that gave me chills and was exactly my thought. Children are most often abused by a parent, relative, or someone close to the family.

I actually think this puts more children at risk.
racemom 02:58 PM 04-02-2017
I agree, I would not want anyone with access watching my class anytime they wanted. I would not be comfortable for many reasons. I cannot count how many times I have a little one walk out of the bathroom without pants on because they need help, and I change diapers in the main room. Also, things happen that could easily be misunderstood if you saw a small clip of my day. Example, the other day I had a dcb not want to wash up, just as I reached to turn him toward the sink, he fell down in a tantrum. If someone had seen that, and not understood what was happened, they could have thought I pushed him. Sounds like a huge liability, from all stand points.
Mike 03:40 PM 04-02-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
I agree, I would not want anyone with access watching my class anytime they wanted. I would not be comfortable for many reasons. I cannot count how many times I have a little one walk out of the bathroom without pants on because they need help, and I change diapers in the main room. Also, things happen that could easily be misunderstood if you saw a small clip of my day. Example, the other day I had a dcb not want to wash up, just as I reached to turn him toward the sink, he fell down in a tantrum. If someone had seen that, and not understood what was happened, they could have thought I pushed him. Sounds like a huge liability, from all stand points.
Good point. Quite often people will see or hear bits of something and not the whole thing, then it gets misinterpreted, or imaginations run wild, and
flying_babyb 11:28 PM 05-17-2017
No cameras at the daycare I work at, Nor would I work at a place that had cameras! The littlest actions could be taken wrong. I like the idea of being able to share pictures of there childs day with them, but there are tons of apps that do that
spinnymarie 08:52 AM 05-18-2017
I answered as a parent of a child in a preschool - I would NOT send her to a place that had this system in place. Nor would I allow it/need it/want it at my daycare. For all the reasons stated above. Parents need to find daycare that they TRUST with their child's care. And I am happy to SEND them appropriate video/photos of their child that do not violate confidentiality, privacy or anything else of their child's or another child's.
CityGarden 11:10 AM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I answered as a parent of a child in a preschool - I would NOT send her to a place that had this system in place. Nor would I allow it/need it/want it at my daycare. For all the reasons stated above. Parents need to find daycare that they TRUST with their child's care. And I am happy to SEND them appropriate video/photos of their child that do not violate confidentiality, privacy or anything else of their child's or another child's.
I 100% agree and answered as a parent of a child in a preschool too.

Respectfully the tone of this survey is quite biased. I also find the over all tone to be quite negative.

In example...

Question 3:
How do/did you feel about taking your child to the Child Care Center?
Who said anyone was worried? How about:

I stayed at home with my daughter until she was just shy of 3 years old. My personal reasons for staying home with her were
  1. I am her mother and I enjoy caring for my own child that I had the honor of bringing into this world.
  2. There was no need or value for an infant in a center (or home daycare for that matter) since I, the parent, had no obligations or limitations work or otherwise that created the need for care.

Sorry but saying concern for missing big milestones does not reflect parents who elect to care for their own child simply because they can or because enjoy it and do not need the services or a center or home daycare, etc. It also does not offer positive room for options like grandparent care, etc.

Lastly I would never allow my child to be recorded and monitored and would never sign a waiver allowing it. My understanding is IF JUST ONE parent does not sign the waiver then if their child is in the class no one could use that feature.
Mom2Two 06:18 PM 06-16-2017
<chills> That would be my cue to quit as a home daycare provider, and I'm pretty sure others would quit in droves too, which would raise daycare rates.

I have a cell phone, and parents can text anytime and I answer. They are free to drop in unannounced, although if it was too often and I got the feeling they were suspicious of me, they can go find other care. I am licensed and get unannounced inspections. That's enough.

Frankly, just as parents often don't want to discipline their children in public, I would feel uncomfortable having a parent watch me discipline another family's child. I rarely say negative things about children to other families, so they are unaware that the other dcb is waaaay behind their kid in learning, or that one girl cries for 15 minutes every day on drop off or that another kid got 5 time outs in a four hour space of time. Do parents want to know that their kid is the pickiest eater and how i deal with it? If they ask me, i'll tell them, but otherwise they deal with it their way and I deal with it in my way. Do they want to know that their kid over-eats (and he is chubby) and I have to cut him off sometimes? Like I said, if they want to know, I'm fine with telling them, but I truly think that it would cause parents to worry more about stuff that may not really be their highest concern. And I would feel very awkward at having every minor detail of guidance on display.

I honestly think knowing too many details would be distracting to parents and cause the worriers to worry too much.
flying_babyb 09:31 PM 06-20-2017
this scares me. I dont mind the idea of a app that allows pictures of a single child to be shared with their parents,but that app exists already
Tags:cctv, live-stream video, monitoring
Reply Up