Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>The Home Care Provider Has A New Man Living With Her Now...
MommaMia 06:02 AM 12-04-2017
Good morning,
So our home daycare provider has a new live in boyfriend. I was told that regulations state that each person over 18 has to be fingerprinted and have a background check. Is this true? How would I go about confirming that this happened? She hasn't told us, my daughter did. She also has said that she goes downstairs with him sometimes before, should there have been a letter of some sort letting us know he'll be there....I'm not sure...just trying to find out.

She also doesn't have any aides. It's just her and 7 or 8 other children, including 2 infants.

I just want to know who's at the home with her.
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 12-04-2017
You can just ask your provider to see his clearance letter. In most states she is required to have it on file, and available, for all inspections and parent requests.

I am even required to have them for my kids and family who visit from time to time. It should not offend her. If it does, you may need to find a new provider.

I would have already shown every client the letter and introduced him before the big move in. I doubt I am alone in this. It would be for his protection as much as yours.
storybookending 06:20 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You can just ask your provider to see his clearance letter. In most states she is required to have it on file, and available, for all inspections and parent requests.

I am even required to have them for my kids and family who visit from time to time. It should not offend her. If it does, you may need to find a new provider.

Honestly, I would have already shown every client the letter and introduced him before the big move in. I doubt I am alone in this. It would be for his protection as much as yours.
I’m with CatHerder in this one. Any time we have a visitor I make sure all parents are introduced and told ahead of time if possible. I had a high school friend drop in unannounced once, I turned her away at the door and cited that she wasn’t cleared to be here during daycare hours. Didn’t want to talk to her anyways so win-win.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by MommaMia:
Good morning,
So our home daycare provider has a new live in boyfriend. I was told that regulations state that each person over 18 has to be fingerprinted and have a background check. Is this true? How would I go about confirming that this happened? She hasn't told us, my daughter did. She also has said that she goes downstairs with him sometimes before, should there have been a letter of some sort letting us know he'll be there....I'm not sure...just trying to find out.

She also doesn't have any aides. It's just her and 7 or 8 other children, including 2 infants.

I just want to know who's at the home with her.
What state are you in?

I am in MN and ALL people living in the home over age 13 must have a background check completed.

We WILL but do NOT at this time have to be fingerprinted (that is a new licensing requirement that has not yet been completed)

The only way someone could confirm this would be to check with licensing. Otherwise, names of people living in the home aren't listed on any licensing site.

As for your DD being alone with your providers boyfriend...that would NOT be acceptable or allowed in my state unless the boyfriend has taken required trainings and is listed as an assistant to the provider. Otherwise ONLY the license holder (and approved helpers/assistants) are allowed to be left alone with any of the daycare children.
Leigh 08:11 AM 12-04-2017
In my state, the license itself would be proof of clearances...a license can not be issued without them, and we are required by licensing to report all changes in living situations immediately (I believe it is 5 days). You could probably contact licensing and ask if he has been cleared.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
In my state, the license itself would be proof of clearances...a license can not be issued without them, and we are required by licensing to report all changes in living situations immediately (I believe it is 5 days). You could probably contact licensing and ask if he has been cleared.
We are re-licensed ever 2 years. I could re-license and then have someone move in the day after my license renewed and the state would have no idea...
daycarediva 10:04 AM 12-04-2017
Depends on what state you are in.

In NY- everyone over 18 has to have a background check, fingerprinted, criminal history and child abuse registry clearances.

I would never move someone in without clearing it with licensing and introducing them to parents.
Leigh 02:18 PM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are re-licensed ever 2 years. I could re-license and then have someone move in the day after my license renewed and the state would have no idea...
I have someone from the state in my house almost weekly! I am a foster parent, though, and I also have several foster kids in my childcare. I'm just used to them always being around! However, it's a big deal to them to not inform them of changes, so I couldn't imagine not telling them!
rosieteddy 06:42 AM 12-05-2017
Ask for proof of Cori.Make sure your child is not alone with boyfriend.I would be unhappy with not being informed of this.
Tags:2017, regulations
Reply Up