Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Trust With Overnight Care
Beckie 06:37 PM 02-21-2018
I'm considering starting a small (4-5 kids) in-home overnight child care. I know that trust is important for parents leaving their kids in in someone else care, even more so over night. there is no licensing in my state for a small in-home daycare. So how do I earn trust.

My house consists of myself, 32 female, my husband and my one year old.

As a parent what would you look for or need to feel comfortable to leave your child over night at such a house?

would you want to interview the husband as well? Or would papers showing a background check suffice?

Thanks for any help
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Beckie:
I'm considering starting a small (4-5 kids) in-home overnight child care. I know that trust is important for parents leaving their kids in in someone else care, even more so over night. there is no licensing in my state for a small in-home daycare. So how do I earn trust.

My house consists of myself, 32 female, my husband and my one year old.

As a parent what would you look for or need to feel comfortable to leave your child over night at such a house?

would you want to interview the husband as well? Or would papers showing a background check suffice?

Thanks for any help
I think parents looking for care for overnights probably have some level of blind trust, especially if they are seeking out a child care vs a family friend, relative or nanny to provide over night care.

I would simply provide parents with a copy of your (and your DH's) background check and proof of CPR/First Aid and that's probably all you can do if there are no regulations for licensing in your state.

What state are you in?

I am sure parents will lead you as well when interviewing they'll ask you questions too and you'll be able to get a feel for the type of things parents are looking for in over night care options.
KTsKids 08:25 PM 02-25-2018
I've actually been providing overnight care for about 7 years now. One thing I can say is that, at least in my area, it is in super high demand. I'm in metro Atlanta and there are very few options for overnight care, and because I live by a large hospital I always have a wait list.

Because options are so limited the parents seeking overnights seem to actually be less picky, for lack of a better word, than my daytime parents. I always make sure to show them my and my husbands background checks as well as my CPR and other certifications. I am an EMT as well as licensed but if that isn't necessary in your state be prepared to explain that. It may not hurt to print a copy of the regs for your state showing you don't have licensing as an option.

I've found the biggest concern the new overnight parents have is where their child will sleep and how early they have to pick up in the morning. Make sure you have times for pickup in advance and stick to it! I've had families try to talk me into allowing drop offs and/or pick ups in the middle of the night, like 2 or 3 am. I've had other crazy requests, such as parents wanting me to let their infants sllep in bed with my husband and me, or letting their toddlers stay up until midnight because that's what they do at home. Make sure to be clear upfront about how your bedtime routine works.

Good luck! I personally love doing overnights. I do have some long nights but for the most part I'm getting paid while they sleep.
hwichlaz 07:29 AM 03-13-2018
I think there is a tad less trust needed for care while children sleep. You need to trust your children won’t be harmed, and maybe that they’ll be fed. You don’t have to worry much about discipline, curriculum, etc. There are fewer separate things to worry about. You just need them to be safe.

There really aren’t many questions you can ask to be sure they’ll be safe...it’s more of a feeling you get when you interview....and the license status.
ellen211 12:50 AM 06-20-2018
Yeah I agree, trust is important. But as long as my child is comfortable and safe with you then I'm okay with it.
rosieteddy 06:38 AM 06-20-2018
If I was a parent,I would want to meet who would be home while my child was there.I would expect more of a bed for sleeping -toddler beds with mattress and bedding or twin size if older child.I would expect provider to be on same floor as children.I to would have no pickups earlier than 6am.
Tags:background checks, certification, licensing regulations, overnight care, training, trust
Reply Up