Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Not Exactly Daycare but Semi Similar
Unregistered 11:00 PM 10-02-2019
Hi!

I just wanted some opinions. My children were in a dance program for a couple years. It was super intense. The training was M-Sa from appx 4pm-830/845pm during week and 9am-6pm Sat. This was class+ rehearsal (not incl dress rehearsal or performances).

Now, the center has appx 600 kids. There are all kinds of programs which I thought were great. Excellent and professional productions.

However--
Lots of favoritism
Having 600+ kids in overall program = kids just another #
EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE (for the hours above $475/monthly not including registration, performance or company fees or other fees as added, some families paid $800+ per MONTH.)

NO SCHOLARSHIPS!!!! And they didn't promote any programs except theirs unless it was a favorite kid, then they got all this info.
While a few kids USED to be selected for Broadway and other special programs, this doesn't seem to be happening anymore.
Kids moving "up" to new levels are not ready at times and it is seriously obvious while other kids were being severely held back. Mine was right where she needed to be but, she had 8-9yos in her class that it was very very obvious there was a difference in abilities.

Furthermore, if situations arose, certain parents got 'consideration' while others did not, so it is like they take sides.

Am I crazy or is this kind of schedule, weird situations, and these kinds of fees simply too much? I had pulled my kids but sometimes it irritates me that so many others are sucked in. There are excellent programs MUCH cheaper and yet the director has repeatedly tried discouraging parents from leaving, rather than helping them prepare for professional training (except favorites)

The children in these levels with this intense schedule are 8 yo + and have REQUIREMENTS to take at* least* 2 ballet and one or 2 other classes per week in order to "level up" the following year. (Older kids take appx 8-10 classes per week) It just seems so strange!

Just another money making scheme? Even the Dance Moms company fees were way less expensive (though training just as intense) and they traveled all over.

And to think: parents won't pay dcp's this much!!!!
rosieteddy 05:01 AM 10-03-2019
Why would you ever do that? Seems way too intense and how do the children do homework, eat dinner and play? I think they are raking in money and do not care about the children. My own girls had a dance class once a week. Saturday mornings tap and ballet. Seems that silly dance mom show has increased the crazy. Glad you got out. I bet the kids are too.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 10-03-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Why would you ever do that?Seems way to intense and how do the children do homework,eat dinner and play?I think they are raking in money and do not care about the children.My own girls had a dance class a week.Saturday mornings tap and ballet.Seems that silly dance mom show has increased the crazy.Glad you got out ,I bet the kids are to.
I agree with Rosie!

Kids need kid time and the over scheduling of kids in all these extra curricular activities is mind boggling now days. I can totally understand why so many kids have anxiety issues now days.

The dance stuff (schedule) above sounds exhausting for not only the children but the parents having to chauffeur them back/forth.
Unregistered 06:56 AM 10-03-2019
I am glad I got out too. We put her in due to a friend who recommended them and my 1 child was very seriously wanting to dance professionally and we were told 'this is what it takes' but then a whole lot of changes to tuition and scheduling got exhausting and dd still wants to dance professionally and has some potential, however, I got to noticing she wanted to also pursue other things like sleepovers here and there and from Aug thru March she never had a weekend off it seemed. And the other places seem to have a lighter schedule (and lighter tuition!!!!) and she gets exact type of training and more 1:1 without extra fees! I guess I just thought we were propelling her to lice a dream but getting drained from $$$$, time and not getting equal opportunities to pursue available schomarships with all the favortism. My dd began dance a lil late in life and so we thought this rigorus schedule was supposed to allow her to catch up. She did and surpassed others but it was just toooo much. I figured it was all about the $$$
Silly Songs 03:08 AM 10-16-2019
This is basically the way it is with some dance companies. The inner drama is just part of it, half of what you hear through the grapevine is not true though. I hope you find a better dance company for your girls.
Tags:costs, dance, dance center
Reply Up