Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Grandparents Enrolling Grandchildren in Daycare
Unregistered 06:28 AM 01-21-2021
Can a grandparent take it upon themselves to enroll a child in daycare and make all decisions, when they have no legal authority to do so?
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can a grandparent take it upon themselves to enroll a child in daycare and make all decisions, when they have no legal authority to do so?
No. But it is grey.

Do they physically have the child? If so, who could prove them wrong or stop them? No one I know requires a birth certificate, just a shot record.

It would require the parents to take action.
Unregistered 05:33 PM 01-21-2021
Does the grandparents have custody of the child? Are they parents allowed to see the child and also, does the grandparents have custody papers? If they've got custody papers then you will need a copy of them so that you know when the parents can or cannot come and get the children
Unregistered 04:03 PM 02-19-2021
Does the parent even care? Do the parent(s) live in the same home with the grandparents. I know grandparents who live with the parents and grandchild and are more the parents. They pay all the bills, they do most of the care, the parent is a huge slacker and doesn't even take the kid to the dr when sick.
buddie65 09:01 AM 03-02-2021
My first reaction is to feel good about the fact that grands are helping/ doing things to promote and care for their grandchildren. But, as a business owner who will be ultimately responsible when it comes to legalities ....I do require a birth cert at registration ( after hearing a crazy story of another place that enrolled twins and mom claimed they were small 3 year old's with some delay because of the twin birth- they were 2 years old!) Also abducted children could be protected in this way as well. In the case of separation /divorce- copies of court documents (custody) is a good idea.
Yes...paperwork can be doctored etc. but.... a simple addition at the end of a contract saying something to the effect of ...by signing you are attesting you are the only legal guardian(s) of this child - Signed:____________ 2 parents= 2 signatures. Will save you in court...hopefully will never have to come to this but you never know. Parents are not always forthcoming :{
Tags:emergency guardianship, grandparent rights, grandparents, status quo, temporary guardianship
Reply Up