Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oragel Warning???? Anyone Heard About This??
Unregistered 09:09 AM 09-04-2012
I have an infant that has started teething. I suggested to the parent to use oragel and/ or tylenol. I have always had parents bring oragel and many tylenol as wel during this time.
This mother said that her dr and friends say you are NOT to use oragel anymore.

I had not heard about this and have other children in my care now who have parents that bring it back and forth daily in their bags.

Can someone shed some light on this one?????
Reply
Sunchimes 09:24 AM 09-04-2012
Snopes.com says that it is true. In rare cases, it can cause something called Methemoglobinemia. http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/orajel.asp
Reply
MaritimeMummy 09:41 AM 09-04-2012
http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm250024.htm
Reply
Nickel 09:58 AM 09-04-2012
Yes, we don't use oragel either, but I know many parents use those teething tablets. My doctor told me NOT to use those either. He said it's basically an opiate or something related. Something like that. i don't quite remember, its been a few years. But I won't use that either. I give tylenol and teething rings. Lots of teething rings and I've never had problems.
Reply
Unregistered 10:11 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an infant that has started teething. I suggested to the parent to use oragel and/ or tylenol. I have always had parents bring oragel and many tylenol as wel during this time.
This mother said that her dr and friends say you are NOT to use oragel anymore.

I had not heard about this and have other children in my care now who have parents that bring it back and forth daily in their bags.

Can someone shed some light on this one?????
Yup I heard about it and asked the doc he said alot of the newer docs are follow this but he said its so rare that it happens and you have to use alot of it in a short amount of time he still suggest oragel and motrin for pain. Also hylands has Belladona in it which is a toxic plant I stick with what I know works for my own kids and thats oragel and motrin.
Reply
sharlan 10:36 AM 09-04-2012
I read about this a few weeks ago. It's VERY RARE.

I don't use Orajel because it burns so badly.

I swear by the Hylands teething tablets. My granddaughter ate a whole bottle when she was little. My dd called poison control and they told her not to worry about it. Not sure, my dd called Hyland's and was told the same thing.
Reply
Childminder 10:55 AM 09-04-2012
When my own children were teething, three decades ago, their pediatrician said to pour a shot of apricot brandy into a glass and rub it onto the gums then drink what was left ourselves. Did I? Yes, the first part and it worked. Babies got comfort and I got rest. I am not one that drinks alcohol very often and my children are not alcoholics because I did it.
Reply
Tags:oragel, warning - notice
Reply Up